The Political Lounge

Biden and Democrat Question

vcczar

13 minutes ago, vcczar said:

1. What do you think is the easiest path for Democrats to upset Republicans and hold on to the House following the 2022 elections? What is the bare minimum that they need to accomplish?

2. Similarly, the same but for 2024. 

Both - COVID improves and somehow Democrats can claim victory on it. 

1. Drop Pelosi as Speaker and get a fresh face like Hakeem Jeffries or someone similar. Run moderates against the MTG, Gaetz and Boeberts. Run populists (Sherrod Brown/Tammy Baldwin type candidates) in the rust belt.

2. If Biden doesn’t run have someone like Jon Ossoff run. If running against Trump hammer him on his record and his most unpopular policies. And when he gets personal with the attacks, hit him with the “Oh yeah, well at least I didn’t go on Epstein’s plane.” and watch him crumble.

• Based 3

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

1. What do you think is the easiest path for Democrats to upset Republicans and hold on to the House following the 2022 elections? What is the bare minimum that they need to accomplish?

1. Inflation somehow magically disappears. COVID somehow magically disappears. The supply chain is fixed with enough time before the election. Republicans do something stupid to alienate voters close to the election. And even then, it might not be enough to stop the midterm effect.

2. Republicans run Trump. All above mentioned items.

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

1. Any issue pertaining to COVID itself, and the effects of COVID itself improves. This includes: Cases, Supply Chain Issues, mask mandate Court Battles and that whole fiasco, inflation has to go, the markets need to improve... they have been steadily going down the past month and it took a substantial hit today. Democrats need to give up on BBB and pass something more appealing like the bipartisan infrastructure bill. Child Tax Credit IS the easiest route for this at the moment. And finally, Biden must regain the confidence of moderates and others when it comes to foreign policy. With the Ukrainian conflict looming, Biden needs a foreign policy win. Right now he's had arguably the largest foreign policy defeat in quite a while. Afghanistan began the downfall of Biden, just as the Iraq War tanked Bush's polls so to speak, and like Trump's Helsinki fiasco. 

2. Donald Trump is the GOP nominee in 2024 which immediately alienates a lot of moderates who are more than willing to vote for the GOP as long as someone crazy isn't nominated. Same accomplishments as above in terms of what the DEmocrats need to do. 

5 hours ago, Patine said:

Perhaps, but this would be an awful thing for the nation and any sort of moving forward. The Dotards must go! They are holding any sort of advancement, progress, and betterment of U.S. the back as surely as Louis XVI was in France in the early 1790's (although I am NOT advocating beheadings!).

The US could lower it's debt. One of the things that ruined France.

1.Become a more big tent party and stop fighting each other (e.g. Manchin vs. Progressives) and focus on working together to win the midterms and appeal to everyone from Progressives to any anti-Trump Republican. Realistically, Manchin has to vote a certain way to please his constituents or else WV is going red. Also, in seats they cannot win, campaign to make their preferred Republican candidate win.

2.Joe Biden has had bad luck. Perhaps better luck in the future. Ending COVID-19 (or accomplishing something else) could help him in the polls. Also, Biden will be 82 if elected in 2024 (TBH, I think that COVID-19 helped him win in 2020 - He could stay at home.). Dems could look for someone who can beat Trump: It doesn't seem to be Harris, Buttigieg, or Clinton; Sanders would be 83. Warren could try, but I doubt she can beat Trump. Some Blue Dog like Joe Manchin could win, but I doubt Democrats would nominate him, they're pretty upset at him. Michelle Obama would be a good choice for them to win, but she has no desire to run.

22 minutes ago, Timur said:

1.Become a more big tent party and stop fighting each other (e.g. Manchin vs. Progressives) and focus on working together to win the midterms and appeal to everyone from Progressives to any anti-Trump Republican. Realistically, Manchin has to vote a certain way to please his constituents or else WV is going red. Also, in seats they cannot win, campaign to make their preferred Republican candidate win.

2.Joe Biden has had bad luck. Perhaps better luck in the future. Ending COVID-19 (or accomplishing something else) could help him in the polls. Also, Biden will be 82 if elected in 2024 (TBH, I think that COVID-19 helped him win in 2020 - He could stay at home.). Dems could look for someone who can beat Trump: It doesn't seem to be Harris, Buttigieg, or Clinton; Sanders would be 83. Warren could try, but I doubt she can beat Trump. Some Blue Dog like Joe Manchin could win, but I doubt Democrats would nominate him, they're pretty upset at him. Michelle Obama would be a good choice for them to win, but she has no desire to run.

For some reason, America's Presidents just get older and older.

We went from 47 to 70 to 78.

Edited by Timur

47 minutes ago, Patine said:

No response on my coming around to the view you expressed previously of age limits to run for office, @vcczar? Or, have you, yourself, shifted gears on the issue?

I read that. Just didn’t see any reason to respond. Could have emoji’d a response but didn’t cross my mind. I’m generally multitasking when reading. 

• Like 1