The Political Lounge

Who should replace Breyer on the SC?

vcczar

Biden's SC Nominee Poll  

21 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Joe Biden, who would you appoint to the Supreme Court?

• A black woman as promised, partially with the idea of winning over this voting demographic
    • A black man, partially with the idea of winning over this voting demographic
    • A white woman, partially with the idea of winning over this voting demographic
    • A white man, partially with the idea of winning over this voting demographic
    • Barack Obama
    • Someone closely tied to Bernie Sanders to win over this voting demographic
    • A Never Trump Republican
    • An independent moderate to win over non-ideological independents.
    • Antonin Scalia's son to confuse people and take a hail mary shot at winning conservatives over to Biden
    • Ted Cruz to take him out of the US Senate
    • Donald Trump to potentially take him out of the presidential race
    • Nominate himself to the Supreme Court
    • Back away from the promise of appointing a black woman and appoint an experienced justice, regardless of gender or ethnicity. Will certainly disappoint many Democrats.
    • Elevate the youngest left-leaning federal justice, whomever it may be.
    • Merrick Garland
  2. 2. When will Biden's SC nominee get confirmed, assuming the pick is a black woman?

• Prior to Midterms.
    • GOP will successfully delay the confirmation hearings beyond midterms so they can Merrick Garland the nominee until the GOP takes the White House
  3. 3. How do you expect the Senate vote go for the nominee if it occurs before midterms, assuming it is a black woman?

• She'll get 60 votes.
    • It will be a party line vote 50-50 with Harris breaking the tie.
    • Manchin and/or Sinema will kill the nomination.
    • Less than 60, but Romney, Collins, Murkowski, and possibly others will get it a majority vote at least.

Joe Biden will get to make a SC appointment after all. 

The top of the list for the replacements is supposedly:

Ketanji Brown Jackson: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketanji_Brown_Jackson

Leandra Kruger is apparently another option: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leondra_Kruger

Biden said he's determined to appoint a black woman to the court. 

4 minutes ago, Rezi said:

Kamala Harris so he can get a better VP lol

This would be my preference.  I'm much more comfortable with her as Supreme Court Justice than as a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

The only thing left to figure out is who Biden should appoint as Secretary of Transportation then.  ;c)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, MrPotatoTed said:

This would be my preference.  I'm much more comfortable with her as Supreme Court Justice than as a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

The only thing left to figure out is who Biden should appoint as Secretary of Transportation then.  ;c)

You mean the upcoming appointment for Minnesota senator??

• Disagree 1

Sad to see him go. Even if I may not agree with all his positions, I did like his positions on copyright issues.

The issue with Kamala Harris as a SC Justices is that 1) GOP will spin it as a Biden wanted to fix a mistake and get rid of her. 2) Harris as justice becomes a rallying cry that a 2nd term Biden will appoint more Kamala Harris's to the bench. Other than that, I'm more okay with Harris as a SC justice than I am with her as VP or Att Gen or Senator. 

26 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The issue with Kamala Harris as a SC Justices is that 1) GOP will spin it as a Biden wanted to fix a mistake and get rid of her. 2) Harris as justice becomes a rallying cry that a 2nd term Biden will appoint more Kamala Harris's to the bench. Other than that, I'm more okay with Harris as a SC justice than I am with her as VP or Att Gen or Senator. 

GOP will spin anything Biden does.  That should never be a roadblock to anything, given that it can never be avoided.

And there's only one Kamala Harris to appoint.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Patine said:

As I've often said (but no real option exists), a non-politicized choice. A judge renowned for balance and lack of prominent ideological bias of any significance. They'd probably have to be an unknown. That's what who think should be chosen. Not yet another of thousands of choices over two centuries to undermine and corrupt the concept of judicial review. Of course, I wouldn't hold my breath to swim under the Pacific Ocean...

Someone like Anthony Kennedy?

25 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Very unfortunate to see Justice Breyer is giving in to the pressure from the far-left...

Man's 83 years old, and the Republican party has demonstrated that they will never approve anyone nominated by a Democrat President.  With midterms around the corner, now is the time.

There doesn't have to be pressure from "the far left" -- just his own sense of mortality, and having witnessed what happened to Scalia and RBG's seat.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hestia said:

He is 83

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Man's 83 years old, and the Republican party has demonstrated that they will never approve anyone nominated by a Democrat President.  With midterms around the corner, now is the time.

There doesn't have to be pressure from "the far left" -- just his own sense of mortality, and having witnessed what happened to Scalia and RBG's seat.

Sure he is old, but I don't know if Chief Justice Rehnquist faced similar pressure to retire under Bush's first term for example. He was nearing 80 at that time and Justice Stevens was even close to becoming 90 at the end of Bush's second term. Ok he has retired under Obama, which wasn't good of course but at least he wasn't bullied into retirement which I find very disrespectful against the justices, the court itself and the aging community overall. Additionally there was never a months long aggressive push about expanding or ''reforming'' the court. This again is disrespectful.

Justice Breyer, under pressure from left to retire, takes the long view -  The Boston Globe

2 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Sure he is old, but I don't know if Chief Justice Rehnquist faced similar pressure to retire under Bush's first term for example. He was nearing 80 at that time and Justice Stevens was even close to becoming 90 at the end of Bush's second term. Ok he has retired under Obama, which wasn't good of course but at least he wasn't bullied into retirement which I find very disrespectful against the justices, the court itself and the aging community overall. Additionally there was never a months long aggressive push about expanding or ''reforming'' the court. This again is disrespectful.

Justice Breyer, under pressure from left to retire, takes the long view -  The Boston Globe

Kennedy was a year or two younger than him. Some people don't want to work til death. I sure wouldn't. 

21 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Pfft.  You want to talk about respect but you ignore McConnell’s attacks on the court during both Biden’s and Trump’s terms.