The Political Lounge

Who should replace Breyer on the SC?

vcczar

Biden's SC Nominee Poll  

21 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Joe Biden, who would you appoint to the Supreme Court?

• A black woman as promised, partially with the idea of winning over this voting demographic
    • A black man, partially with the idea of winning over this voting demographic
    • A white woman, partially with the idea of winning over this voting demographic
    • A white man, partially with the idea of winning over this voting demographic
    • Barack Obama
    • Someone closely tied to Bernie Sanders to win over this voting demographic
    • A Never Trump Republican
    • An independent moderate to win over non-ideological independents.
    • Antonin Scalia's son to confuse people and take a hail mary shot at winning conservatives over to Biden
    • Ted Cruz to take him out of the US Senate
    • Donald Trump to potentially take him out of the presidential race
    • Nominate himself to the Supreme Court
    • Back away from the promise of appointing a black woman and appoint an experienced justice, regardless of gender or ethnicity. Will certainly disappoint many Democrats.
    • Elevate the youngest left-leaning federal justice, whomever it may be.
    • Merrick Garland
  2. 2. When will Biden's SC nominee get confirmed, assuming the pick is a black woman?

• Prior to Midterms.
    • GOP will successfully delay the confirmation hearings beyond midterms so they can Merrick Garland the nominee until the GOP takes the White House
  3. 3. How do you expect the Senate vote go for the nominee if it occurs before midterms, assuming it is a black woman?

• She'll get 60 votes.
    • It will be a party line vote 50-50 with Harris breaking the tie.
    • Manchin and/or Sinema will kill the nomination.
    • Less than 60, but Romney, Collins, Murkowski, and possibly others will get it a majority vote at least.

50 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Sure he is old, but I don't know if Chief Justice Rehnquist faced similar pressure to retire under Bush's first term for example. He was nearing 80 at that time and Justice Stevens was even close to becoming 90 at the end of Bush's second term. Ok he has retired under Obama, which wasn't good of course but at least he wasn't bullied into retirement which I find very disrespectful against the justices, the court itself and the aging community overall. Additionally there was never a months long aggressive push about expanding or ''reforming'' the court. This again is disrespectful.

Justice Breyer, under pressure from left to retire, takes the long view -  The Boston Globe

I find myself in the middle of this debate. I find Breyer's decision to be entirely apolitical and respectable. That being said, I do prefer when Judges and Justices serve to incapacity (hopefully this means death, simply because incapacity while living is so much worse). I think the life term is a crucial and depolitifying aspect of the judiciary and so while I hold no malus towards Breyer and do not believe he had political intent (as all of the 9 have proven again and again that there is not a partisan among them), I would certainly have preferred to see him continue to serve.

Of course, he may be in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's or some other undisclosed illness which poses the risk of inflicting incapacity by next term, in which case this was the entirely correct answer.

• Like 2
  • Based 2

35 minutes ago, Hestia said:

You're claiming he bowed to pressure when it's possible he just wanted to retire. 

It's possible he wanted to retire indeed and I hope he's enjoying his retirement. It's just leaves a bittersweet taste after the aforementioned campaign against him. Likewise it's equally possible for him to have got the intention to retire because of the increased pressure. I just claim the second one is more likely from my point of view due to Justice Breyer never showing any signs of desire to retire before.

43 minutes ago, Patine said:

Why are you discounting the possibility that these judges might actually WANT to retire and ENJOY a retirement, and not die on the bench, and believe that ONLY partisan pressure would POSSIBLY drive them off? Why do you cling to this belief? We live in a day-and-age where Popes and Monarchs are abdicating so they can retire. Why is the desire of these judges to enjoy their twilight years so alien and hard to grasp for you, if I may ask?

You are debating me for bringing up the possibility of Justice Breyer retiring because of the pressure, but you do not condemn these groups pressuring him? Especially if his age needs to be considered groups like "Demand Justice" should have shown more dignity than running public ads portraying a SC justice like an old, stubborn idiot who needs to get out of the way as soon as possible.

I find it very likely the constant nagging might have brought him to the conclusion that retirement far away from such people watching everything you do with discontent and criticizing you for being you is best. That being said I surely see the possibility of him retiring voluntarily, but as I have stressed I find it to be the more unlikely idea of these two. Anyway as said I hope he enjoys his retirement even tough we might have not been political friends. 

27 minutes ago, Dobs said:

I find myself in the middle of this debate. I find Breyer's decision to be entirely apolitical and respectable. That being said, I do prefer when Judges and Justices serve to incapacity (hopefully this means death, simply because incapacity while living is so much worse). I think the life term is a crucial and depolitifying aspect of the judiciary and so while I hold no malus towards Breyer and do not believe he had political intent (as all of the 9 have proven again and again that there is not a partisan among them), I would certainly have preferred to see him continue to serve.

Of course, he may be in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's or some other undisclosed illness which poses the risk of inflicting incapacity by next term, in which case this was the entirely correct answer.

He would have had that luxury, if McConnell had not overthrown hundreds of years of precedent to steal the Supreme Court.

@ConservativeElector2

i strongly doubt that it had any impact at all.  He is ten years older than any other justice.  He is 83, and he is not stupid.  He doesn’t need to be told his age to realize that he is old.  He may be fine today, but will he be fine in a year or two or four?  

He doesn’t have to be forced to think about who will be President or in charge of the Senate then.  He is perfectly capable of thinking about it for himself, and reaching the intelligent conclusion.  

McConnell did this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

It's possible he wanted to retire indeed and I hope he's enjoying his retirement. It's just leaves a bittersweet taste after the aforementioned campaign against him. Likewise it's equally possible for him to have got the intention to retire because of the increased pressure. I just claim the second one is more likely from my point of view due to Justice Breyer never showing any signs of desire to retire before.

You don't know him personally so I don't know how you can make any judgments on that. I don't know if I've ever seen an example where SC Justice openly pondered about retiring before they decided. What pressure really could they do? He has a lifetime seat, he can decide when he wants to be off and no one else can take him off. There's literally nothing anyone could do to stop him from whatever choice he wanted to make.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Sure he is old, but I don't know if Chief Justice Rehnquist faced similar pressure to retire under Bush's first term for example. He was nearing 80 at that time and Justice Stevens was even close to becoming 90 at the end of Bush's second term. Ok he has retired under Obama, which wasn't good of course but at least he wasn't bullied into retirement which I find very disrespectful against the justices, the court itself and the aging community overall. Additionally there was never a months long aggressive push about expanding or ''reforming'' the court. This again is disrespectful.

Justice Breyer, under pressure from left to retire, takes the long view -  The Boston Globe

I did recall seeing a bunch of people on the left (I'll admit it was mostly Twitter) criticizing RBG for her "ego," "pride," and "selfishness" for "choosing" to die as a SCOTUS justice instead of retiring under Obama (like she was supposed to know Trump was going to get elected and her health would fail). Even as someone who disagreed with her on many issues (but admired her integrity and personality), as a Christian I found it extremely disgusting and I pray for them.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

A disagreement there, @DakotaHale? Do you support, "politicized justice," as being good, laudable, and in the spirit of justice. Like Stalin's purges? Or the post-Maoist purges in China? Or Erdogan's "coup supporter," purges? Or the HUAC's proceedings? And many, many examples? Politics and justice do not mix in terms of the justice part, and can't realistically do so. I believe, deep down inside, you'll know this to be true.

I didn't disagree with the assertion that "party-line" supreme court votes are a miscarriage of justice, I disagreed with your assertion that "party-line" supreme court votes are a thing at all -- it's not true. And to compare the legal systems of some of the most totalist governments in recent history (and the HUAC which is irrelevant) to perhaps the only uncorrupted part of the US government is a HUGE reach, even by your standards.

2 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I would support a femboy SCOTUS justice as a compromise.

If they don't wear the maid dress during proceedings then I will be severely disappointed

• Based 2

Honestly he should just appoint me tbh. I'll declare HOAs and the TSA unconstitutional, get a 90% approval rating and run for President.

Edited by Rezi
  • Haha 1
  • Based 2

4 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Is there any law that prohibits someone from being both president AND a SCOTUS justice?

I know there's nothing preventing it for a justice (since there's basically no requirements to be a SCOTUS justice), but I would imagine that there is for President.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

You have my vote. 

I WILL NOT MOW MY LAWN I HATE THE ANTICHRIST ‼️‼️‼️

Ain't nobody gonna tell me how to treat my property 😎🤠

• Based 1

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

Most urban or suburban areas will fine you if you're a homeowner with an unkempt lawn allowed to grow too long. So, it's not quite as simple as you think.

Yes, that is how it is right now. But that's not how it should be, in my opinion.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

I am afraid there is such a thing as the needs of the society over the needs of the individual when push comes to shove.

The state of my property has nothing to do with the needs of society. Unless it impacts my neighbors' lives in a meaningful way (past simply being an eyesore), then it is none of their business, nor the business of the Government.

• Agree 3
  • Based 1

12 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

LMFAOOOOOO motherfucker I just spit my drink out lmao

twinkspotted.jpg.1b94f2fdd307e28b53257f122e6e709a.jpg

I picture Biden’s nomination presser as:

”Look folks. Listen. There needs to be more twinks in government—across the board. I remember my son, Beau, when he was in the hospital. He said, ‘dad, why isn’t there a twink on the Supreme Court?’ So today i nominate this twink to the left of me as the first openly twink Justice in the history of the Supreme Court, who, probably in his own twinkish way, has stood up for injustice and offered his own eminent opinions. Let’s confirm the twink right away. Thank you and God Bless.”

Fact check: Beau was talking to his dad about twinkies and the band The Supremes in the hospital. 

• Based 1