The Political Lounge

Who should replace Breyer on the SC?

vcczar

Biden's SC Nominee Poll  

21 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Joe Biden, who would you appoint to the Supreme Court?

• A black woman as promised, partially with the idea of winning over this voting demographic
    • A black man, partially with the idea of winning over this voting demographic
    • A white woman, partially with the idea of winning over this voting demographic
    • A white man, partially with the idea of winning over this voting demographic
    • Barack Obama
    • Someone closely tied to Bernie Sanders to win over this voting demographic
    • A Never Trump Republican
    • An independent moderate to win over non-ideological independents.
    • Antonin Scalia's son to confuse people and take a hail mary shot at winning conservatives over to Biden
    • Ted Cruz to take him out of the US Senate
    • Donald Trump to potentially take him out of the presidential race
    • Nominate himself to the Supreme Court
    • Back away from the promise of appointing a black woman and appoint an experienced justice, regardless of gender or ethnicity. Will certainly disappoint many Democrats.
    • Elevate the youngest left-leaning federal justice, whomever it may be.
    • Merrick Garland
  2. 2. When will Biden's SC nominee get confirmed, assuming the pick is a black woman?

• Prior to Midterms.
    • GOP will successfully delay the confirmation hearings beyond midterms so they can Merrick Garland the nominee until the GOP takes the White House
  3. 3. How do you expect the Senate vote go for the nominee if it occurs before midterms, assuming it is a black woman?

• She'll get 60 votes.
    • It will be a party line vote 50-50 with Harris breaking the tie.
    • Manchin and/or Sinema will kill the nomination.
    • Less than 60, but Romney, Collins, Murkowski, and possibly others will get it a majority vote at least.

10 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Is there any law that prohibits someone from being both president AND a SCOTUS justice?

Article II Section 1 of the US Constitution states the president "shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them".  That prohibits holding other federal or state offices while president.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, pilight said:

Article II Section 1 of the US Constitution states the president "shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them".  That prohibits holding other federal or state offices while president.

Emolument is a salary.  So...if you agreed to waive your salary (like Hoover and Trump did)....

Ha.  It's an interesting question.  Violates the principles of checks and balances, clearly, but the only legal hurdle might be senate confirmation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

I picture Biden’s nomination presser as:

”Look folks. Listen. There needs to be more twinks in government—across the board. I remember my son, Beau, when he was in the hospital. He said, ‘dad, why isn’t there a twink on the Supreme Court?’ So today i nominate this twink to the left of me as the first openly twink Justice in the history of the Supreme Court, who, probably in his own twinkish way, has stood up for injustice and offered his own eminent opinions. Let’s confirm the twink right away. Thank you and God Bless.”

Fact check: Beau was talking to his dad about twinkies and the band The Supremes in the hospital. 

Who are you and what have you done with vcczar?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I guess you were one of those people rooting for Thanos in Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame

That's a good example, but then again, he may not know what or who that is. 😛 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Patine said:

I am afraid there is such a thing as the needs of the society over the needs of the individual when push comes to shove.

Thank you for speaking out for the many unheard victims of unkempt lawns.

• Haha 1
  • Based 1

2 hours ago, Pringles said:

That's a good example, but then again, he may not know what or who that is. 😛 

2 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

I guess you were one of those people rooting for Thanos in Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame

Damn, that's a good movie, he should see it. Someone get Patine the transcript!

• Haha 1
  • Based 2

15 hours ago, Patine said:

I am afraid there is such a thing as the needs of the society over the needs of the individual when push comes to shove.

Yes because lawncare maintenance is really where we need to draw the line in the sand for the beginning of the abrogation of personal property rights.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, vcczar said:

I picture Biden’s nomination presser as:

”Look folks. Listen. There needs to be more twinks in government—across the board. I remember my son, Beau, when he was in the hospital. He said, ‘dad, why isn’t there a twink on the Supreme Court?’ So today i nominate this twink to the left of me as the first openly twink Justice in the history of the Supreme Court, who, probably in his own twinkish way, has stood up for injustice and offered his own eminent opinions. Let’s confirm the twink right away. Thank you and God Bless.”

Fact check: Beau was talking to his dad about twinkies and the band The Supremes in the hospital. 

Ok I’m shutting down the forum we ain’t topping this

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm sorry, but I can't humour this any longer. I must speak. There is more to the world than property and individual rights, and if they had been the focus of civilizations from early on, we probably wouldn't be here as species. Libertarianism is, frankly, a selfish, anti-social, anti-humanist, counter-natural, anti-Christian (and anti-every other religion with any pedigree or respect, except arguably Taoism in some areas), pitiless, grasping, avarice-centred, repugnant, and evil ideology that has never been the true governing viewpoint in totality of any sovereign nation, and with good reason, because it doesn't work, can't work, and is just a wank for those immensely self-serving and greedy who are neurotically resentful of the need for common government, and a government that is obligated to serve it's constituents. And this is coming from someone, as you all know, who is very unhappy, suspicious, and willing to call out abuses by modern Government. But I do not believe the answer is this irresponsible abdication. And plus, I am very well aware that transferring Government services to, "private solutions," en masse means these soulless, vulture-like, evil engines of commerce and screw over their employees and consumers, poison everything (literally), have little or no long-term vision, and no compunctions against the most horrid and vile of acts - things comparable, in places and instances, to infamous dictatorships. Plus, I grew up watching the sub-genre of dystopian fiction, almost all in the '80's, where the dictatorial style was not Fascist, Communist, Theocratic, Wartime Military Dictatorship, Computer-Ruled, or "Unusual," (Demolition Man or Brazil), but was an open Corporatist Dictatorship rising in on a weakening civil government, like the Running Man, Blade Runner, the Robocop Trilogy, Cyberpunk 2020, and others. I'm sorry, I cannot give any support or ideological respect to Libertarianism.

Ok ok, jeez I'll cut my grass mister.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Patine said:

I read the 90's comic crossover, "Infinity Gauntlet," it's core plot was very loosely based on. I'm aware of the premise, and how gobsmackingly and awe-inspiringly inappropriate and disingenuous the comparison is. In fact, it's not even funny as a joke (except maybe to @Pringles whose sense of humour is twisted, warped, sick, anyways).

Ok boomer

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

@vcczar @MrPotatoTed I think, though, that in all seriousness, ageist/generationist slurs should be treated the same on this site as racist, sexist, ethnocentric, ant-LGBTQ, anti-religious group, anti-disability slurs, because the intent behind them is the same, at it's core, even if the viciousness of their usage can be dialed up and down by context, like they can with all slurs.

Oh give me a break snowflake, a big boy like you can handle being called boomer. 

Just now, Pringles said:

Oh give me a break snowflake, a big boy like you can handle being called boomer. 

"Frankly, it is safe to say that boomer is not a slur, nor does it mean to have any offensive connotations to the extent of racial slurs – it is just a word to describe a person born in a certain generation. "

https://thesciencesurvey.com/editorial/2020/03/05/is-boomer-a-slur/

• Like 1

Just now, Kitten said:

"Frankly, it is safe to say that boomer is not a slur, nor does it mean to have any offensive connotations to the extent of racial slurs – it is just a word to describe a person born in a certain generation. "

https://thesciencesurvey.com/editorial/2020/03/05/is-boomer-a-slur/

Talk about that fact check 😎

"OK boomer" is a catchphrase and Internet meme often used by teenagers and young adults to dismiss or mock attitudes typically associated with baby boomers, people born in the two decades following World War II. However, it has increasingly been used to refer to pre-millennial people in general, regardless of when they were actually born. The phrase first drew widespread attention due to a November 2019 TikTok video in response to an older man, though the phrase had been coined years before that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK_boomer#%3A~%3Atext%3D"OK_boomer"_is_a_catchphrase%2Cdecades_following_World_War_II.?wprov=sfla1

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Besides, given I don't belong to the generation in question (I'm firmly and undisputedly Generation X)

Ok Xoomer

Edited by Rezi