The Political Lounge

Sue Gray Report 'Update' Drops

Hestia

3 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Do you guys think Boris resigns? I do imagine the conservative party’s decades of dominance in British politics will end next election because of this. 

I think if he resigned it would be today. He's fighting on at least until the Met report comes out. The mood in the House right now is absolutely terrifying for him. Tories were completely silent as Keir Starmer spoke. 

• Thanks 1

All in seriousness, if Boris doesn't go then the party will do it for him. I can't see the Tory leadership looking at the current situation and saying "Let's just keep him, this will all just blow over soon." unless they are just granting him mercy. Rishi Sunak be plotting to take control behind the scenes lmao.

• Agree 1
  • Based 1

4 minutes ago, Cenzonico said:

All in seriousness, if Boris doesn't go then the party will do it for him. I can't see the Tory leadership looking at the current situation and saying "Let's just keep him, this will all just blow over soon." unless they are just granting him mercy. Rishi Sunak be plotting to take control behind the scenes lmao.

Absolutely. There has to be at least some consideration of a vote of no confidence.

3 minutes ago, Cenzonico said:

Based Boris? (I'm in english class right now and the teacher hasn't come yet I'm so bored)

Screenshot 2022-01-31 8.56.01 AM.png

That was a weird moment. Seemed like opposition MPs wanted some sort of withdrawal or even someone thrown out for it. 

I think he might not resign because I think he's probably too self-conscious about his legacy. If he resigns, he has to live the next decades of his life as a kind of failure. If he stays, he can try to wait it out and improve his legacy. I think the pressure will increase, but I think he stays unless his own party evicts him. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Hestia said:

Here's the video. Important to watch. Bell was part of the 2019 intake in the 'Red Wall' area from a formerly safe Labour seat. I don't know how anyone who works with him can sit there and dismiss something that is so obviously painful for him. Anyone who doesn't stand up to Johnson will have a pretty poor mark on their moral record.

Not related to the report, but a good speech from Labour MP Lisa Nandy on the 'levelling up' paper set out by the government. Nandy ran for Labour leadership when Starmer was elected and came in 3rd. She is an MP from Wigan. First link is the full thing, second is a part.