The Political Lounge

How States Rights Are You?

vcczar

How States Rights Are You?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following should be left to the states, rather than to the federal government?

• Anti-Discrimination laws based on race or ethnicity
    • Anti-Discrimination laws based on gender or sexual orientation
    • Anti-Discrimination laws based on religion or non-faith
    • Anti-Discrimination laws based on disability
    • Anti-Discrimination laws based on age
    • Abortion laws
    • Marriage laws
    • Once in 100-year pandemic responses
    • Gender equality in pay
    • Race/ethnicity equality in pay
    • Minimum wage, Universal Basic Income, etc wage/income laws
    • Gun laws
    • Race + Gun laws pertaining to cops
    • Prison reform laws
    • Business regulations
    • Environmental regulations
    • Healthcare policy, including prescription drugs
    • K-12 education policy
    • University/College policy
    • Drug laws, including marijuana and alcohol
    • Military recruitment and training
    • Taxation, income and otherwise
    • Tariffs and trade with other nations
    • Election laws, excluding presidential elections.
    • The US Presidential Election laws in the state
    • Gerrymandering, Urban Political Machines, and other incumbent-boosting manipulation
    • Voting Rights laws, including restrictions, ID's, etc.
    • Immigration laws
    • Things like paid-family leave, vacation days, sick days, etc.
    • Capital Punishment
    • Military policy
    • Foreign policy
    • Deciding whether a federal law is Constitutional (i.e. ability for state to nullify federal law)
    • National Security laws such as the Patriot Act
    • Revenue for the Federal Government (i.e. Federal government should request money from the states rather than take it)
    • Natural Gas, Oil, Energy policy, including off-shore drilling, pipelines, fracking, etc.
    • Labor Unions
    • Issues regarding space (NASA, exploration, etc)
    • Currency, Banking, Finance law
    • Emergency bailouts
    • Standard welfare
    • Natural disaster responses and aid
    • Other (mention below)
  2. 2. In general, which best matches your philosophy between the federal government in the states.

• The Federal government should clearly control just about everything with the states just helping administer the federal policy in their local areas.
    • The federal government is for, by, and of the people and should intervene in state affairs in areas desired by the people that elected the current government to office.
    • The federal government should operate as a kind of pace car. States that are fulfilling the progressive ideals of life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, equality do not need intervention, but states failing in these areas do require intervention.
    • The federal government should pretty much only handle foreign affairs, military affairs, trade, and interstate policy. Nothing that can be handled by the state should have federal interference, except on request
    • Same as point #4, but the states should not request federal intervention
    • The federal government should be abolished and the states should operate as independent nations.
    • States should be abolished and the counties can operate as independent nations.
    • Each city, town, polity of city or town size should operate as an independent nation.
    • Government should be abolished and replaced with an attempted peaceful anarchy.
    • [This should be at the top] The United Nations should rule every nation.
  3. 3. In general, who do you side with on most issues?

• The Federal government (Democrat admin) over my state (if you don't live in the US, think about what state would most represent your location)
    • The Federal government (Republican admin) over my state (if you don't live in the US, think about what state would most represent your location)
    • In both cases, I favor the state of the federal government, in general
  4. 4. Which recent president, even if you think they're all flagrant violators, best upheld (upholds) the US Constitution as you perceive it to be.

5. 5. Which is closes to your opinion?

• There can be two or more valid interpretations of the US Constitution
    • There can only be one valid interpretation of the US Constitution and that's the interpretation that I happen to have of it.
  6. 6. In general, which do you have a more favorable view of?

• The Federal Government when it has my preferred major party in control.
    • My State Government when it has my preferred major party in control.

The most important job of the federal government is to secure that all of the citizens within its borders are free from discrimination and from government overreach. Past that, most policies should be left to the states. This country works better when we focus more locally rather than constantly worrying about the federal government.

16 minutes ago, Rezi said:

The most important job of the federal government is to secure that all of the citizens within its borders are free from discrimination and from government overreach. Past that, most policies should be left to the states. This country works better when we focus more locally rather than constantly worrying about the federal government.

I'd probably trust red states if socially conservative people couldn't elect majorities. That's what it boils down for me. Social conservatism is pretty much the exclusive reason why I distrust red states (and some purple states) more than the federal government, especially when Democrats are in control of the Federal government. 

I'm economically/fiscally tolerant. I'm tolerant of most foreign policy and military policy that doesn't lead to humanitarian crises. But I'm not tolerant of social conservatism (the paradox of hating hate and being intolerant of intoleration). 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I'd probably trust red states if socially conservative people couldn't elect majorities. That's what it boils down for me. Social conservatism is pretty much the exclusive reason why I distrust red states (and some purple states) more than the federal government

This is why I do trust the federal government on matters of civil rights and civil liberties, because some states will discriminate or allow discrimination. But past that, as long as everyone is free and viewed as equals by the government, then I don't really care what states do.

Just now, Rezi said:

This is why I do trust the federal government on matters of civil rights and civil liberties, because some states will discriminate or allow discrimination. But past that, as long as everyone is free and viewed as equals by the government, then I don't really care what states do.

That's pretty much my view. 

Hate to be that guy but on number 2 I don't agree with any of the answers necessarily. So I selected 4 which is my closest view. My actual view is somewhere in between 3 and 4. 

Edited by Pringles

54 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Basically, when the federal government and state governments are at odds, such as with the COVID mandate or any other issue, who do you generally side with?

I don't think I answered this one right as well, might've been a typo or just the fact that I skim read everything, but to clarify, I generally favor the state government over the federal government on most matters.