The Political Lounge

The absolute power of Eugene

Cenzonico

1 hour ago, Patine said:

*eyeroll* This, @vcczar, is a very good example of the lamest and most pitiful attempts of, "humour." It makes your recent spiel look like Robin Williams' greatest masterwork in comparison. 🤕

I think its pretty funny. I tend to like inside jokes. This might be why I like Arrested Development so much. It's a comedy that sort of requires watching it in order and paying attention to get all the humor as it consistently makes jokes based on the world it creates. 

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Are you familiar with a word used almost exclusively in comedy parlance (especially peer-criticism of comedy), "hackneyed?" That's very much what this Eugene has really become...

To certain folks in the audience, perhaps.

10 hours ago, Cenzonico said:

Screenshot 2022-02-02 9.58.57 AM.png

Ahhh...so Eugene is using carbon monoxide to multiply and increase in power...

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

But, regardless, laughing at a joke long after it should cease to be funny makes others wonder about such people in the audience. Such fascination with tedium is not healthy, and doesn't reflect well on one. That must also be considered.

Of course, humor is entirely subjective. While you reserve your right to critique, so do the other 99%.

• Based 1

7 hours ago, Patine said:

Yes, but I'd say a LOT more than 1% of the population out there finds people harping on hackneyed, done-to-death jokes to be a trait that makes one look foolish. In fact, I'd wager a statistical majority of those out there find such a quality irritating.

I’d take you on that.

Just now, Patine said:

Since I am almost certain such statistics are nearly impossible to come by or verify (and this forum is obviously a bad sampling, as polling goes, of the whole trend of people out there - which is part of the problem in the first place), and I find this topic of you self-righteously defending the ridiculous idea that harping on a hackneyed joke does not make one look like a fool, a valiant defense that also can't help but make a fool of you as well, I am taking the high road and walking out of this ludicrous quagmire, leaving you the fool!

lol

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm actually curious what you would consider to be amusing that's on TV.

Probably nothing since there’s not enough independent choices for channels

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

That can actually be funny. 

Yes, I feel like he'd like it especially due to personality similarities between him and Sheldon. 

Edited by Pringles

1 minute ago, Patine said:

@Dobs sets a very low standard of comparison right now...

But, maybe, if I could catch some reruns of old '80's and '90's sitcoms I used to enjoy in my younger days, to answer hypothetically (and carry the metaphorical brushoff of @Dobs further than it needs to go).

You like any old SNL stuff? Chris Farley? Chevy Chase? Phil Hartman? 

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

And he uses an Apple computer.

I respect that. Fuck Apple computers. 😛 Macs are shit. Fuck Microsoft too, be sure to install Windows without internet connection so big brother doesn't watch.

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

But, maybe, if I could catch some reruns of old '80's and '90's sitcoms I used to enjoy in my younger days,

Do you enjoy anything from the 21st century? For whatever reason, I find a lot of the stuff I watched in the '80s or '90s not as funny as I did when I was a kid, even though there are exceptions. 

12 minutes ago, Patine said:

But, maybe, if I could catch some reruns of old '80's and '90's sitcoms I used to enjoy in my younger days, to answer hypothetically (and carry the metaphorical brushoff of @Dobs further than it needs to go).

It's not my fault you don't understand Latin 😉

The Golden Girls is my favorite tv series of all time, incidentally.

12 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Yes, I feel like he'd like it especially due to personality similarities between him and Sheldon. 

I don't think they're similar. I think Sheldon would have left the forum months ago. I don't see him getting bogged down in forum fights for more than a week and staying in the forum. I think Sheldon would also have far less antagonists.

13 minutes ago, Patine said:

What about the early Simpsons seasons?

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Nothing in terms of TV series, really, though I think some of the series I enjoyed carried over into the 21st Century, but none that really started there, I'd say). In terms of movies, the Star Wars Prequels (well, Episode I was in 1999, but as a set), the Matrix Trilogy (I haven't seen the new one) and Jupiter Rising (I have a lot of respect for the Wachowskies for having the courage to come out with completely new and original movies in an era where recycling (remakes, reduxes, and long-belated sequels and prequels) and the dairy industry (milking the old cash cows) dominated Hollywood profits, as well, I originally like the Harry Potter movies (each of which I read the book first before seeing the movie), but certain plot elements and matters of their tenor, theme, and viewpoint carry came to bug me (which had nothing at all in connection to the later pillorying of the author), I also like the Kill Bill Duology, the only movies by Quentin Taranto I liked, and many (but not all) of the movies based on a Marvel-comics license made by 20th Century Fox (some of the X-Men movies - of which X-Men First Class was the only movie meant specifically as a prequel to a popular franchises outside the Star Wars Prequels I liked; the early Spider-Man movies, and the first Fantastic Four movie), Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull wasn't bad, and a few others, though I don't watch movies as much as I used to. Though, I cannot forgive Michael Bay, specifically, for monstrously butchering in the most grievous of ways the Hasbro cartoon series I grew up with as a kid in the Gen 1, 1980's, original variants - the Transformers, G.I. Joe, and Jem... 😞

That was actually a series I very much enjoyed, too, though I wouldn't call it my personal favourite of all time.

I remember enjoying the odd episode, but I have no idea where in the series any of them where.

These aren’t comedies. I’m wondering what shows you find humorous. 

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

Oh, my mistake. You said, "what do you like from the 21st Century."

In terms of humour, I'm struggling to find much. There was a definite change to the tenor of humour around the turn of the 21st Century, and it veered sharply toward the offputting, the absurdist, the cynical, fatalist, "world is shitty in the most dialed-up, ludicrous way," view, relying heavily on much alienating and repulsing their audience, and drowning it in pop culture references you to be up-and-up to understand the premise. I know many other people who've observed this as well, and show similar feelings. I am not the tiny, fringe minority for finding this new wave of humour, "unfunny," that certain people on this forum portray me as. So, indeed, I am struggling. Even Canadian and British humour have fallen from their former and distinct styles, and begun to embrace, to differing degrees, this new disconcerting pattern, that I've encountered far too many people, including on this forum, and 270soft, who are actually MILITANT that it WILL be viewed as FUNNY!

You’re still yet to give me a show you find as funny, unless you’ve posted in the other thread and I haven’t seen it yet.