The Political Lounge

AMPU Politician Bios

vcczar

Finally got to Joe Biden's bio. My bios are going to be warts and all: 

46th President (since 2021). Previously, Sen of DE starting at age 30 (1973-2009) and VP for Barack Obama (2009-2017). His likable, empathetic nature helped him defeat powerful, incumbent Caleb Boggs in the 1972 Senate election. His hallmark legislation was probably the 1994 "Biden Crime Law" that banned assault rifles, but also was controversial for the rise of mass incarcerations. While as VP he came out early in support of gay marriage (even before Obama), in the 1990s as a Senator, he voted for legislation that barred gay marriage (Defense of Marriage Act) and restricted service for gays in the military. Generally, he voted along the Democratic Party line. One of the main foreign relations senators, he opposed the Gulf War but supported the war in Afghanistan and the later War in Iraq. Ran for president unsuccessfully in 1988 and 2008. In 2016, as a popular VP, he seemed eager to run for the presidency but shocked some by declining, allowing Hillary Clinton clear frontrunner status. Two reasons for this include, the death of son Beau Biden in 2015, who was a rising star among Democrats, and perhaps some sort of prearranged agreement between Obama and Clinton following the close primary in 2008. Biden defeated incumbent Donald Trump in 2020, becoming the first challenger to defeat an incumbent president in almost 30 years. He is the oldest ever inaugurated president at age 78, older than Reagan was leaving office. He is also the first president to have a woman VP (Kamala Harris). As of 2022, Biden's approval has sunk because of high inflation, the longlasting COVID pandemic, and failure to get his Voting Rights Act and Build Back Better Plan through Congress. He has nominated the first black woman to the Supreme Court. He prides himself in attempting to be a "healer-in-chief" wishing to "restore the soul of the nation" in hyperpartisan times.

This is Benjamin Tillman's rival for worst person in the game. Here's the bio of James Henry Hammond of SC:

" Might be the worst person to serve in US politics. US Rep for SC (1835-1836), Gov of SC (1842-1844), US Sen for SC (1857-1860). Pro-slavery advocate who owned over 300 enslaved people. Made the term "Cotton is King" popular. Raped two of his female slaves several time, including one which was believed to have been his biological daughter. Raped his four teenage nieces, claiming they came on to him. The four nieces never married after the trauma. While this was all known, he was still elected US Senator by his state's legislators. Had a same-sex relationship with a future Confederate congressman. His nephew was future Gov. Wade Hampton III. Somehow Hammond School in SC is still named after him. "

I got to insert myself in one of the bios. George W. Norris, who I am related to: 

"Progressive Republican known for challenging the establishment. US Rep for NE (1903-1913) and US Sen for NE (1913-1943). Gained national attention when he led a bipartisan group of House progressives in taking down dictatorial conservative Speaker of the House Joseph Cannon. In 1912, he supported La Follette, and then Roosevelt, but shocked some by sticking with Taft over Roosevelt in the general. One of 6 US Senators to oppose the declaration of war on Germany during WWI. He later opposed the US joining the League of Nations. In the 1920s, he proposed abolishing the electoral college and proposed modernizing and electrifying the Tennessee Valley. The latter came to fruition under FDR in the 1930s. Critic of Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover. He voted for Al Smith in 1928 and FDR in 1932 and 1936. Supported prohibition even after it was unpopular and opposed anti-lynching laws. Major figure in passing pro-labor legislation in the 1930s. Strong New Dealer, he left the GOP in 1936 to become an Independent, but this cost him reelection in 1942. Opposed FDR's court packing scheme. JFK selected Norris for one of the eight US Senators in his Profiles in Courage. In 1957, 160 scholars picked Norris as their top choice for the top 5 US Senators in US history, but conservative Sen. Styles Bridges, who had known Norris, vetoed him from consideration, leaving Clay, Calhoun, Webster, Taft, and La Follette as the top 5. Norris is the 1st cousin, a few times removed of the creator of A More Pefect Union and of Robby Mook, campaign manager of Hillary Clinton. Their great-great-great grandfather, Benjamin Mook, was the maternal uncle of Norris."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I can’t remember if Rep Murtha of Pennsylvania is in the game, but If so, he was my step great uncle.  Mom’s husband’s uncle, though I was living overseas when they married and the Rep died shortly thereafter so I didn’t meet him.

Cool. I didn't remember him at first, but after seeing his portrait again I remembered to have read about him already. I sometimes forget names but I can connect them with faces better.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I can’t remember if Rep Murtha of Pennsylvania is in the game, but If so, he was my step great uncle.  Mom’s husband’s uncle, though I was living overseas when they married and the Rep died shortly thereafter so I didn’t meet him.

I don't think he's in the game but I can add him when putting in midterm people if you remind me when I get to that. Won't add them until the primaries are done for 2022. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A man from Colorado said:

The bio of the very long and eventful life of Strom Thurmond could be interesting. Since he lived long enough to vote on the Afghanistan, Iraq wars, and NAFTA as well.

I did his bio. It's so long that I don't even mention those. Obviously, his biographical importance has more to do with his time from 1948-1964. 

Alright I'm done and burned out on bios for a few months. Just under 370 bios of 7,000+ politicians. I feel like I'm scrubbing a coal mine with a tooth brush. 

I'm now focusing only on rules ( @MrPotatoTed) and contacting KS Donors for suggested events and creating a survey regarding interest for the game. I'll likely start this on Monday, unless I have some downtime this weekend. Might not. 

Next week is the last week of class for the quarter. I'm going to have a lot of office hours. Friday is my birthday (week from today), and I'll be grading over 100 papers over the weekend. Nevertheless, I think I'll get the KS stuff done next week. 

My main reason for not having anything scheduled this weekend is that I have feeling I'll be interrupted continually at home and I don't want to type out an elaborate email with consistent distractions. 

I also need to make more backups of documents and double check everything again. I'm still undecided on getting volunteers to help with the bios. If I allow anyone it will be @ConservativeElector2, but I'd have to get funding for him to do that out of the KS money. I can tell you it's going to be a pain in the ass to do, regardless of the money. Indeed, scrubbing a coal mine with a tooth brush. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I'm still undecided on getting volunteers to help with the bios. If I allow anyone it will be @ConservativeElector2, but I'd have to get funding for him to do that out of the KS money. I can tell you it's going to be a pain in the ass to do, regardless of the money. Indeed, scrubbing a coal mine with a tooth brush. 

I could do it, but I fear it won't be any fun at all. Especially with the new workload for me appearing on the horizon. The new term has just started and will last until the end of June.