The Political Lounge

Post Your Super Bowl Predictions

vcczar

13 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Absolutely the O line is the biggest problem but it’s an easy fix. Fix that and they’ll be division contenders at least for the next 6 years. 

It seems like they're just an OLine away from perennial contenders, but so much can go wrong that you never really know. Before the season started, it seemed like my Browns had a top tier offense and were just a healthy, competent secondary/LB core away from Super Bowl Contention. So we put everything into fixing that, and over the course of the season, it was fixed and we had arguably a top 10 defense. Unfortunately the offense crumbled by way of injuries, regression, players leaving, and the league "figuring out" Coach Stefanski.

Not to say that it necessarily will end up similarly for the Bengals, but you can never say that things are going to go well with confidence until you have an established pattern of success, and the Bengals don't yet. Perhaps they will win the division again next season and prove themselves, but until then, I wouldn't hold my breath, especially in the AFCN.

• Like 1

Just now, Rezi said:

It seems like they're just an OLine away from perennial contenders, but so much can go wrong that you never really know. Before the season started, it seemed like my Browns had a top tier offense and were just a healthy, competent secondary/LB core away from Super Bowl Contention. So we put everything into fixing that, and over the course of the season, it was fixed and we had arguably a top 10 defense. Unfortunately the offense crumbled by way of injuries, regression, players leaving, and the league "figuring out" Coach Stefanski.

Not to say that it necessarily will end up similarly for the Bengals, but you can never say that things are going to go well with confidence until you have an established pattern of success, and the Bengals don't yet. Perhaps they will win the division again next season and prove themselves, but until then, I wouldn't hold my breath, especially in the AFCN.

I’m a Browns fan too but I’m getting tired of Bakers shit. Baker sucks and is the problem on that team. Swap Baker and Burrow and the Browns would have been a 13 win team this season. Baker has all the right pieces around him. Just my opinion. But yeah Burrow will get killed without an O line. I respect his willingness to take sacks but it’s not great for longevity and we’ll have to see how he returns from this injury. I get your point though. Getting to the super bowl this year was a fluke and the chances of doing it again if they even compete at the same level is still 2% probably. 

• Like 1

Just now, DakotaHale said:

I’m a Browns fan too but I’m getting tired of Bakers shit. Baker sucks and is the problem on that team. 

Baker is definitely almost certainly not our guy for getting to the Super Bowl, but he can still play at a top 10-15 level at his best. The problem is that you don't know if you're getting top 10-15 Baker or poopy hero-ball Baker any given season. I would certainly like to upgrade at the position, but there aren't many options. Derek Carr and Cousins are at best slightly better than Baker and aren't SB QBs, and this year is not a good draft year for the position. Personally, I would be in favor to the Browns looking at Aaron Rodgers (high chance in hell but why not give it a look), or more realistically Russell Wilson in the offseason though, hell maybe even Kyler Murray since he seems to be throwing a hissy fit with Arizona.

Though of course he isn't the only problem. Wide Receiver is broken right now. I mean our best guys rn are washed-up Jarvis Landry and "good for 4 or 5 really cool plays a season" DPJ, so we really need to draft WR at 13 and maybe look at some in free agency. We also need to figure out what the fuck we're doing at TE. Austin Hooper's contract is dogshit for his stone hands and we really need to be giving Njoku the looks he deserves. I also think we could look on the market to see if anyone is willing to pay a bit of a price for D'Ernest Johnson after his breakout season last year. There could also be some improvements made at DT, but DE should be fine as long as Clowney stays. We could see some cap causalities this offseason, perhaps Landry, Tretter, or Conklin? If we feel that we'll have an adequate replacement at their respective positions, we may need to let one or two go in order to make necessary improvements.

Stefanski also needs to do some self-improvement this offseason. His play-calling was no small part in how this season went. I would favor giving Van Pelt some looks at calling plays in the pre-season, since play-calling is really Stefanski's only big problem. All in all, I trust that we'll figure out something and we should at least compete for a playoff spot next season, I trust Andrew Berry as GM, but we have some hard choices coming up.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Patine said:

The wise do not gamble. 😉 

I understand the sentiment, gambling can be quite addictive and is many times a fool's game, but I wouldn't quite go that far.

I'd say that the wise man only gambles what he is willing and able to lose. In my eyes, if you have no debts and you're up to date on any potential payments as well as your basic needs, there's no harm in throwing a bit of your extra earnings to try and make more.

2 hours ago, Rezi said:

The only notable sports players to come from my high school were an NHL Player, and a 2-time NCAA Wrestling Champion who has represented the US on a national level multiple times (including a few golds) and nearly made the Olympics. I actually took a few classes with his brother, who also wrestles in the NCAA, though he isn't quite as good. I'm pretty sure the two of them hold a couple NYS Wrestling Records. The younger brother I believe won 5 state championship titles.

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

My high school also had all star MLB pitchers Chris Young and Clayton Kershaw. No NBA or NHL people. Several NFL. 

Also the guy who shot Reagan. Jayne Mansfield, and a bunch of other people. 

1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

The most famous person from my high school is Chris Holtmann, Ohio State’s basketball coach

The most famous person from my high school is meeeeee.  Hahaha.

Our high school star QB went on to play in the NFL.  Undrafted and a 3rd string career backup who bounced around the league...until injuries propelled him to the starter position for two huge games.

He completely collapsed in both of them, never played in the NFL again, and even the Coach was fired for giving him a chance.  Ha.

Other than the QB and I, I'm not aware of anyone who made a particular splash outside of our hometown. 

47 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

The most famous person from my high school is meeeeee.  Hahaha.

Our high school star QB went on to play in the NFL.  Undrafted and a 3rd string career backup who bounced around the league...until injuries propelled him to the starter position for two huge games.

He completely collapsed in both of them, never played in the NFL again, and even the Coach was fired for giving him a chance.  Ha.

Other than the QB and I, I'm not aware of anyone who made a particular splash outside of our hometown. 

I've been trying to think of who this could possibly be. My first thought was Todd Collins because I remember him having to start a big game due to some injuries back in like 2010, but he only made one start that year, even though he did retire afterwards. But he was from Massachusetts and was a 2nd round pick. You've got me stumped. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jnewt said:

I've been trying to think of who this could possibly be. My first thought was Todd Collins because I remember him having to start a big game due to some injuries back in like 2010, but he only made one start that year, even though he did retire afterwards. But he was from Massachusetts and was a 2nd round pick. You've got me stumped. 

Nope, Collins is significantly older than I am. ;c)

But he did play for the team where my 3rd string QB buddy had his disastrous debut....

1 hour ago, DakotaHale said:

I disagree. The first half was one of the better super bowl first halfs in recent memory.

Really? I'd argue the first half was the most sloppy part of the game, with the second half being equally as sloppy but being more entertaining as it was a close game to the end. Although a lot of super bowls as of late were also not exactly the best, so that may just be the critic in me talking.

• Like 1