The Political Lounge

Best Russian President

Pringles

There's only 3 to choose from so pick wisely. :P   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Best Russian President (Not including Acting Presidents)

• Boris Yeltsin
    • Vladimir Putin
    • Dmitry Medvedev

2 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

From which perspective is this question coming from?

Best Russian President for the US? For the Russian people? For Russian power/prestige? For international relations?

From our perspective/an international relations perspective. 

This is such a difficult question: 

1 - Yeltsin was probably the least competent but at least ushered in the end of the USSR. 

2 - Putin is probably the worst from a democratic stand-point but isn't incompetent. 

3 - Medvedev is just a Putin pawn and in a way benefits from just not being Putin. 

• Agree 1

Boris was a disaster, an absolute disaster. Russian people hate him.

I chose Medevev because I'd assume him to be a better person than Putin, but honestly all three are bad.

• Sad 2

In light of the flawed formatting I might make a new poll soon and divide it into categories. Including the one I had intended for this. Just got off work so we shall see. 

On 2/19/2022 at 4:43 AM, Patine said:

I'm going to answer this question here, and not the new poll, because I don't at all think the three-part choice in the new poll. U.S./Western relations, cooperation, and external viewpoints, and how subjectively, "funny," a Russian President in one's opinion are very, very minor and highly unimportant aspects to the quality of a leader of the RUSSIAN FEDERATION, by what's expected in such a country, it's values, it's Constitution, and it's betterment - and I don't give a damn to deal with those two qualities in such a view. In terms of a President and leader of the RUSSIAN FEDERATION, by what's expected in such a country, it's values, it's Constitution, and it's betterment, Putin wins hands down, remotely ahead of the other two, even though he's be almost a compromise in the near rock-bottom status between Bush and Trump if judged by the standards of a President and leader of the UNITED STATES, by what's expected in such a country, it's values, it's Constitution, and it's betterment,

Agreed!

It is always important to note when evaluating the leadership ability and legacy of a foreign leader that the perspective they should be judged from is that of a citizen of their respective country. Why, otherwise you may find it valid for our enemies to deem James Buchanan, Herbert Hoover, and Jimmy Carter as the best presidents in our history. By the standards of the Russian people, President Putin is a outstanding leader and the epitome of Russian values. He is unwavering, aggressive, cunning, and has a deep loyalty to the Russian state. I personally may abhor him, but to Russian's he is a symbol for strength even if he is heavy-handed at home. He IS popular and there's a reason for that. 

On another note, I would find it difficult to imagine an objective "worldly" perspective to judge any leader that exists outside of the bias of the assessor. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Cal said:

James Buchanan, Herbert Hoover, and Jimmy Carter

And that would be fine. Given the context I had mind of this poll, and the less serious nature of this poll. 😛