The Political Lounge

Heated debate in Canadian parliament

DakotaHale

1 minute ago, Patine said:

It may seem counter-intuitive for Jews to support Nazis, SPECIFICALLY, and that does seem very odd of a statement, but there are Jewish groups that could easily classified, as Fascist in a broader definition of the word, of which the first listed, which existed in the old Mandatory Palestine, during WW2, were actually willing to make some sort of deal with Hitler and Mussolini, and Ben-Gurion had nine of them tried after the First Arab-Israeli War:

Lehi (militant group) - Wikipedia

Kach (political party) - Wikipedia /Jewish Defense League - Wikipedia

Jewish National Front - Wikipedia

But, none while being arguably classified as, "Fascists," none of these are - or could be, by definition - "Nazis," as a specific branch of Fascism. It's just that it's become lazy and uneducated speech nowadays that ALL Fascistic and other Far-Right-Wing, Xenophobic, Hypernationalist movements automatically get called, "Nazis," when the latter term is a VERY specific and highly contextual branch of Fascism.

I definitely don’t disagree. 

1 minute ago, Patine said:

The Emergencies Act is NOT remotely the same act, or of the calibre or gravity, as the War Measures Act his father passed during the FLQ Crisis, but the misinformation conflating is spreading quickly, and making the situation unnecessarily volatile. I agree that Trudeau is incompetent and a bad leader (though polls don't determine a leader's, "intelligence,"), and the U.S. is no stranger to freezing bank accounts as a political tactic. In fact, the specific motive, at the time, of the Pearl Harbour Attack was in retaliation to such bank account freezings.

I can 100% assure you that @jvikings1 and I find the seizing of bank accounts and emergency powers just as despicable in the US as well.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

The Emergencies Act is NOT remotely the same act, or of the calibre or gravity, as the War Measures Act his father passed during the FLQ Crisis, but the misinformation conflating is spreading quickly, and making the situation unnecessarily volatile. I agree that Trudeau is incompetent and a bad leader (though polls don't determine a leader's, "intelligence,"), and the U.S. is no stranger to freezing bank accounts as a political tactic. In fact, the specific motive, at the time, of the Pearl Harbour Attack was in retaliation to such bank account freezings.

The Emergencies Act is the successor to the War Measures Act. And I don't think "disinformation" is what is making the situation volatile. Treating protestors as violent criminals is what is causing that.

And as @DakotaHale, I don't approve of using bank seizures as a political tactic here either. The only circumstance where it is ok to use such a tactic is if due process is followed for serious offenses (such as a hitman being convicted for his crimes).

• Based 2

42 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

God I cant stand him.

All seriousness. That exchange is indeed interesting. But sad. 😛

Edited by Pringles
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

No, it's not the successor. You are misinformed. And, if your views on law-and-order were followed, the U.S. and Canada would exist right now, but would have succumbed Warlordism, Balkanization, and Anarchy, by now. Your absolutist views that every act of Government is either Liberty or Tyranny is short-sighted and out-of-touch with reality.

"Only Sith think in absolutes,"

-Obi-wan Kenobi, "Star Wars, Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith"

The Emergencies Act literally repealed and replaced the War Measures Act. The definition of successor is: "One that follows." Maybe it is you who is mis-informed.

And it is interesting that a person who supports throwing basically every major politician in prison is concerned with order. What effect do you think that would have on the world's political/economic systems?

• Based 2

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

Besides it's probably irritating, mocking, distracting, and not worth seeing, like most of you gif.files. 🤕

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

Aren't we all reprising bad debating tactics, here, @Pringles?

That gif goes for everybody, most of us at least. Including you and me. For our short lived "improvement." Cheers. 😛

Just now, DakotaHale said:

I have a 6 year old pink cracked screen iPhone 7 I got for free from a gf at the time who upgraded 😎

Really considering moving to iphone tbh. Even though I've been a samsung galaxy guy my whole life really.