The Political Lounge

Presidential Elections Since 1900: Who would you have voted for?

vcczar

Presidential Elections Since 1900: Who would you have voted for?   

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you have voted for if the following were the only people on your state's ballot and write-in wasn't an option? [***Please select only one per year. You are free to not vote in an election***]

• 1900: William McKinley
    • 1900: William Jennings Bryan
    • 1904: Theodore Roosevelt
    • 1904: Alton B Parker
    • 1908: William Howard Taft
    • 1908: William Jennings Bryan
    • 1912: Woodrow Wilson
    • 1912: William Howard Taft
    • 1912: Theodore Roosevelt
    • 1912: Eugene V. Debs
    • 1916: Woodrow Wilson
    • 1916: Charles Evans Hughes
    • 1920: Warren G Harding
    • 1920: James M Cox
    • 1924: Calvin Coolidge
    • 1924: John W Davis
    • 1924: Robert La Follette
    • 1928: Herbert Hoover
    • 1928: Al Smith
    • 1932: FDR
    • 1932: Herbert Hoover
    • 1936: FDR
    • 1936: Alf Landon
    • 1940: FDR
    • 1940: Wendell Wilkie
    • 1944: FDR
    • 1944: Thomas Dewey
    • 1948: Harry S Truman
    • 1948: Thomas Dewey
    • 1948: Henry A Wallace
    • 1948: Strom Thurmond
    • 1952: Dwight Eisenhower
    • 1952: Adlai E Stevenson II
    • 1956: Dwight Eisenhower
    • 1956: Adlai E Stevenson II
    • 1960: JFK
    • 1960: Richard Nixon
    • 1964: LBJ
    • 1964: Barry Goldwater
    • 1968: Richard Nixon
    • 1968: Hubert Humphrey
    • 1968: George C Wallace
    • 1972: Richard Nixon
    • 1972: George McGovern
    • 1976: Jimmy Carter
    • 1976: Gerald Ford
    • I would not vote for any of the nominees in any of these elections.
  2. 2. Continuation

• 1980: Ronald Reagan
    • 1980: Jimmy Carter
    • 1980: John Anderson
    • 1984: Ronald Reagan
    • 1984: Walter Mondale
    • 1988: George HW Bush
    • 1988: Michael Dukakis
    • 1992: Bill Clinton
    • 1992: GHW Bush
    • 1992: Ross Perot
    • 1996: Bill Clinton
    • 1996: Bob Dole
    • 1996: Ross Perot
    • 2000: George W Bush
    • 2000: Al Gore
    • 2000: Ralph Nader
    • 2004: George W Bush
    • 2004: John Kerry
    • 2008: Barack Obama
    • 2008: John McCain
    • 2012: Barack Obama
    • 2012: Mitt Romney
    • 2016: Donald Trump
    • 2016: Hillary Clinton
    • 2016: Gary Johnson
    • 2016: Jill Stein
    • 2020: Joe Biden
    • 2020: Donald Trump
  3. 3. Hypothetical

• 2024: Joe Biden
    • 2024: Donald Trump
    • 2024: Andrew Yang
    • 2028: Alexandria Ocasio Cortez
    • 2028: Marjorie Taylor Greene
    • 2032: Taylor Swift
    • 2032: Donald Trump Jr
    • 2036: Rachel Maddow
    • 2036: Alex Jones
    • 2040: LeBron James
    • 2040: Kanye West
    • 2044: Chelsea Clinton
    • 2044: Ted Cruz
    • 2048: Someone who has undergone 35 sex changes, is an open atheist, wants to abolish the economy, and make marriage illegal.
    • 2048: A fanatical evangelical preacher who has been acquitted of rape 10 times, wants to make Christianity the official religion, and who wants to abolish all forms of welfare, regulations, and federal wage laws.
    • 2048: A small, balding man with a weak handshake, who talks quietly with a slight mumble. His face looks like a badly made muffin. He denounces the idea of a party platform, states he hasn't any idea of what he will do, and that he isn't sure if he's fit for the job.

What a fun poll :P. For the hypothetical part though... idk if I'm voting for any of those people except for the 2 I selected... 2048 sounds like dystopian hell man. 😛

As for 1964. I'd probably write in Nixon. Goldwater vs LBJ is just meh. Not big on either. Had I lived back then my area was very pro Goldwater. But I feel like I'd reluctantly vote Johnson out of sympathy. 

2000, too hard for me to make up my mind. I like both Gore and Bush. (That is, 2000 Gore.) 

I'd vote for either depending on the day.

Edited by Pringles

2 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

My favorite failed nominees since 1900 are:

Alf Landon

Charles Evans Hughes

Thomas E. Dewey

Barry Goldwater

Mitt Romney

Bob Dole

John McCain

I think you'd like Alton B Parker. Kind of surprised you didn't vote for him. 

23 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I think you'd like Alton B Parker. Kind of surprised you didn't vote for him. 

To be honest, it was one of the more difficult decisions from above. I researched Parker before making a decision. The reasons that made me reject him were insufficient stances on issues of national importance, a poorly run campaign and a quite isolationist tone. Not sure whether he was considered the conservative in this race. He won the solid South but that isn't really the indicator for me anymore. It actually was until a few years. But I came to like the pro-business Republican Party from about 1896 onwards very much. 

13 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

To be honest, it was one of the more difficult decisions from above. I researched Parker before making a decision. The reasons that made me reject him were insufficient stances on issues of national importance, a poorly run campaign and a quite isolationist tone. Not sure whether he was considered the conservative in this race. He won the solid South but that isn't really the indicator for me anymore. It actually was until a few years. But I came to like the pro-business Republican Party from about 1896 onwards very much. 

Definitely the conservative. He was a Grover Cleveland Bourbon Democrat. Next to last conservative Democrat to run for president. John W. Davis was the last. Had none of the progressivism of TR or even the little McKinley allowed. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pringles said:

It seems Charles Evans Hughes is the unity candidate of this forum. 

It’s not so much that we particularly like Hughes, it’s that we’re all in solidarity in hating Woodrow 😛 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Pringles said:

It seems Charles Evans Hughes is the unity candidate of this forum. 

12 minutes ago, Rezi said:

It’s not so much that we particularly like Hughes, it’s that we’re all in solidarity in hating Woodrow 😛 

4 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Yep, my vote was nothing more than an anti-Wilson vote. Screw that guy!

To all the above. My opposition to Wilson is mainly his stance on race and his segregation of the executive branch and its departments and also of Red Scare tactics. I'm more or less okay with his much of his other progressive agenda --- Free Trade, regulations, income tax, women's suffrage support, League of Nations, and opposition to prohibition (which was passed over his veto). I think he was terrible person, and not just on race. He ruined his own son-in-law's chances for the 1920 nomination in a harebrained scheme to make himself the nominee for a 3rd term, despite being partially paralyzed. I don't approve of bad people as president, although I do admit platform and administration policy is more important than the person of the president, hence my vote for Hillary Clinton despite my not really liking her. 

In regards to Charles Evans Hughes, he was sort of a mix between Taft and TR in policy. He would have likely continued the Progressive tradition that even Taft accepted as best for the times. That is regulation, income tax, women's suffrage, conservation. However, he would had deviated from Wilson on Free Trade (favoring prohibition), opposed the League of Nations but probably been more imperialist/interventionist, and would probably have been more supported of prohibition than Wilson. In regards to race, he would have done nothing (which is better than Wilson) but he would have likely signed an anti-lynching bill if the Lodge Bill got to him. Following WWI, he likely would have transitioned to more of a Warren G Harding conservative as the Progressive Era began to fade. I think he would have been a solid but not innovative president. The equivalent of a game manager QB in football. Whereas, Wilson would be like the QB that could either be the MVP that season or the one that leads in interceptions that year---possibly both! 

55 minutes ago, vcczar said:

As of this post, the only nominees with at least 10 votes are Teddy Roosevelt, CE Hughes, FDR (twice), Eisenhower (twice) and JOE BIDEN! 

We have a Charles Evans Hughes traitor among us... 😡

3 minutes ago, Dobs said:

Racism

And not even “normal for the times” racism, the average 1910s American was an egalitarian compared to Wilson...

Edited by Rezi

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Maybe he hoped that U.S. involvement in WW1 would have given a casus belli for the U.S. to muscle into the European colonial race (outside Hawai'i, Puerto Rico, Alaska, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Philippines, and, indirectly, Liberia and the, "Banana Republic," nations of Central America, at that time, at least). That could explain his racist-tinged stratagem in Post-WW1 diplomacy, if he had secured support at home, at least.

His racism was far from confined to diplomacy, and I'd honestly doubt it was part of any strategy. He screened "The Birth of a Nation" at the White House and is historically at least partially credited with reviving the Klu Klux Klan. He also furthered segregation of the federal government and replaced as many black members of the federal government as he could.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Rezi said:

His racism was far from confined to diplomacy, and I'd honestly doubt it was part of any strategy. He screened "The Birth of a Nation" at the White House and is historically at least partially credited with reviving the Klu Klux Klan. He also furthered segregation of the federal government and replaced as many black members of the federal government as he could.

This. Let's not forget his odd views as a historian to begin with already... which are a root of his racism problem. And his views on such historical topics likely shaped a lot of these actions he did. 

17 minutes ago, Patine said:

Maybe he hoped that U.S. involvement in WW1 would have given a casus belli for the U.S. to muscle into the European colonial race (outside Hawai'i, Puerto Rico, Alaska, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Philippines, indirectly, Liberia and the, "Banana Republic," nations of Central America, and through, "paternalistic occupation," Cuba, Haiti, and the Dominican Republic, at that time, at least). That could explain his racist-tinged stratagem in Post-WW1 diplomacy, if he had secured support at home, at least.

id assume him helping to revive the KKK was not a diplomatic maneuver

• Haha 1