The Political Lounge

Presidential Elections Since 1900: Who would you have voted for?

vcczar

Presidential Elections Since 1900: Who would you have voted for?   

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you have voted for if the following were the only people on your state's ballot and write-in wasn't an option? [***Please select only one per year. You are free to not vote in an election***]

• 1900: William McKinley
    • 1900: William Jennings Bryan
    • 1904: Theodore Roosevelt
    • 1904: Alton B Parker
    • 1908: William Howard Taft
    • 1908: William Jennings Bryan
    • 1912: Woodrow Wilson
    • 1912: William Howard Taft
    • 1912: Theodore Roosevelt
    • 1912: Eugene V. Debs
    • 1916: Woodrow Wilson
    • 1916: Charles Evans Hughes
    • 1920: Warren G Harding
    • 1920: James M Cox
    • 1924: Calvin Coolidge
    • 1924: John W Davis
    • 1924: Robert La Follette
    • 1928: Herbert Hoover
    • 1928: Al Smith
    • 1932: FDR
    • 1932: Herbert Hoover
    • 1936: FDR
    • 1936: Alf Landon
    • 1940: FDR
    • 1940: Wendell Wilkie
    • 1944: FDR
    • 1944: Thomas Dewey
    • 1948: Harry S Truman
    • 1948: Thomas Dewey
    • 1948: Henry A Wallace
    • 1948: Strom Thurmond
    • 1952: Dwight Eisenhower
    • 1952: Adlai E Stevenson II
    • 1956: Dwight Eisenhower
    • 1956: Adlai E Stevenson II
    • 1960: JFK
    • 1960: Richard Nixon
    • 1964: LBJ
    • 1964: Barry Goldwater
    • 1968: Richard Nixon
    • 1968: Hubert Humphrey
    • 1968: George C Wallace
    • 1972: Richard Nixon
    • 1972: George McGovern
    • 1976: Jimmy Carter
    • 1976: Gerald Ford
    • I would not vote for any of the nominees in any of these elections.
  2. 2. Continuation

• 1980: Ronald Reagan
    • 1980: Jimmy Carter
    • 1980: John Anderson
    • 1984: Ronald Reagan
    • 1984: Walter Mondale
    • 1988: George HW Bush
    • 1988: Michael Dukakis
    • 1992: Bill Clinton
    • 1992: GHW Bush
    • 1992: Ross Perot
    • 1996: Bill Clinton
    • 1996: Bob Dole
    • 1996: Ross Perot
    • 2000: George W Bush
    • 2000: Al Gore
    • 2000: Ralph Nader
    • 2004: George W Bush
    • 2004: John Kerry
    • 2008: Barack Obama
    • 2008: John McCain
    • 2012: Barack Obama
    • 2012: Mitt Romney
    • 2016: Donald Trump
    • 2016: Hillary Clinton
    • 2016: Gary Johnson
    • 2016: Jill Stein
    • 2020: Joe Biden
    • 2020: Donald Trump
  3. 3. Hypothetical

• 2024: Joe Biden
    • 2024: Donald Trump
    • 2024: Andrew Yang
    • 2028: Alexandria Ocasio Cortez
    • 2028: Marjorie Taylor Greene
    • 2032: Taylor Swift
    • 2032: Donald Trump Jr
    • 2036: Rachel Maddow
    • 2036: Alex Jones
    • 2040: LeBron James
    • 2040: Kanye West
    • 2044: Chelsea Clinton
    • 2044: Ted Cruz
    • 2048: Someone who has undergone 35 sex changes, is an open atheist, wants to abolish the economy, and make marriage illegal.
    • 2048: A fanatical evangelical preacher who has been acquitted of rape 10 times, wants to make Christianity the official religion, and who wants to abolish all forms of welfare, regulations, and federal wage laws.
    • 2048: A small, balding man with a weak handshake, who talks quietly with a slight mumble. His face looks like a badly made muffin. He denounces the idea of a party platform, states he hasn't any idea of what he will do, and that he isn't sure if he's fit for the job.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

That's if you're assuming that was his only motivation. But that's not exactly what I was referring to. People who actually make it to become executive heads of whole sovereign nations, and aren't just puppets or vassals of someone else, or viewing themselves strictly as, "caretaker leaders," usually have more motives and goals in mind - for good, ill, or mixed, it doesn't matter for this point - than one singular ideal, you know?

generally if you were a tried and tested racist before entering politics, you're just a racist

• Based 1

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Yes, I'm not actually contesting this. NOT AT ALL. I don't know where you got the idea I was. I'm saying that I doubt reviving the KKK was his only goal in office. Think about my speculation (not claim at knowledge, or even prediction or estimation, but just musing) of wanting a piece of the European colonial pie, hypothetically, would give a field day and bonanza for abuse and exploitation in the most loathsomely racist of ways for a blatantly racist U.S. President. Can you now see what I'm ACTUALLY saying here?

no one claimed that his only goal was to revive the KKK while in office

but you're addressing something not a soul brought up, reminder this was in reply to a comment about how the guy was just very racist

so what is your point, what are you addressing. who the fuck are you talking to.

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

Yes, I'm not actually contesting this. NOT AT ALL. I don't know where you got the idea I was. I'm saying that I doubt reviving the KKK was his only goal in office. Think about my speculation (not claim at knowledge, or even prediction or estimation, but just musing) of wanting a piece of the European colonial pie, hypothetically, would give a field day and bonanza for abuse and exploitation in the most loathsomely racist of ways for a blatantly racist U.S. President. Can you now see what I'm ACTUALLY saying here?

I think a simple sentence like “I believe his racism also influenced his foreign policy, which was imperialist and racially charged.” Would have avoided this whole quagmire of confusion.

• Agree 3

On 2/22/2022 at 9:21 AM, mark2 said:

id assume him helping to revive the KKK was not a diplomatic maneuver

Did he help revive the KKK? From what I understand, that was the work of William Joseph Simmons. Also, they really didn't gain traction unti like 1920 because of people like Elizabeth Tyler and Edward Young.

Edited by Timur

16 minutes ago, Timur said:

Did he help revive the KKK? From what I understand, that was the work of William Joseph Simmons. Also, they really didn't gain traction unti like 1920 because of people like Elizabeth Tyler and Edward Young.

I'd like to respond in greater detail but here's a good article on it so you can take the sources word for it, and not mine. 😄 

https://www.history.com/news/woodrow-wilson-racial-segregation-jim-crow-ku-klux-klan

In short, you can argue he didn't help the KKK directly as in say, publicly and literally saying "I endorse the KKK." 

But he segregated the federal work force... premiered Birth of a Nation at the WH. 

He also bought into the "lost cause" narrative. And he did endorse it in his historical publishing's.

Edited by Pringles

16 minutes ago, Pringles said:

I'd like to respond in greater detail but here's a good article on it so you can take the sources word for it, and not mine. 😄 

https://www.history.com/news/woodrow-wilson-racial-segregation-jim-crow-ku-klux-klan

I would argue that he was a racist, and he did write those things, and the fact that he allowed it to be screened is evidence of his racism. However, I wonder if he would have supported the 2nd Klan. He criticized the first Klan's violence (or at least some of it).

https://www.jstor.org/stable/20799409?Search=yes&resultItemClick=true&searchText=wilson+birth+of+a+nation&searchUri=%2Faction%2FdoBasicSearch%3FQuery%3Dwilson%2Bbirth%2Bof%2Ba%2Bnation%26so%3Drel&ab_segments=0%2Fbasic_search_gsv2%2Fcontrol&refreqid=fastly-default%3A7642b55c01d4fa5cf5417ecf94f40761&seq=1

The aforesaid article refers, for example to this book (pg. 58-64, 71-72).

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.74165/page/n81/mode/2up