The Political Lounge

What technological advances would you like to see?

Timur

• Timur changed the title to What technological advances would you like to see?

For the most part I like where society is right now technologically. Some areas where I'd always like to see improvement though are in medical technology and agricultural technology of course. More food and better healthcare leave better lives for everybody.

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

I mostly agree, here. Most recent technological advances quickly become tools of abuse, tyranny, and faster ways to kill more people, somehow. More food would definitely be good, as long as it's not more of that genetically engineered or half-artificial crap that's slowly poisoning us and crippling agricultural self-sufficiency in the long term.

I do sort of agree with you on artificial food, but genetically engineered food isn't always a bad thing. It can be trouble in the wrong hands, but if used right (this is the important part), it can be a more effective alternative to selective breeding and can increase our output of produce and can aid farmers all over, especially in developing nations.

Medical technology is always a plus. I'd like to see more space technology, virtual reality needs to be further refined as well. Headsets that is. 

Human augmentation is something I find interesting for those who may need it. Missing limbs, etc. Or for soldiers. 

Satellite internet is already coming with Starlink. 

When it comes to food I'm not entirely sure on what more we can do. All this vegan stuff is nice but it's something I'll just never become. Unless we find some sort of technology that's like the food pills in Star Trek... which probably isnt going to happen lol...

AI is getting smarter day by day.

Electrical cars, especially sports cars are cool and all and I'd drive say. A Tesla and other cool stuff but honestly, I'm never giving up on "normal" cars as well lol. I'm a bit of a car freak.

And a final thought on space tech, I really hope we find ways to increase the speed of travel, explore new opportunities on engines, long distance travel, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Rezi said:

Thinking tracking technologies and especially facial recognition.

Idk, I like being able to look at my phone and have it open. Doesn't bother me a bit. I got nothing important to hide. 😄 

2 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Idk, I like being able to look at my phone and have it open. Doesn't bother me a bit. I got nothing important to hide. 😄 

Guess you're lucky I'm not in congress, since the first thing I'd do would be proposing a privacy amendment, which would ban facial recognition, among other things, like expanding the 4th amendment and the due process clause 😛

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Rezi said:

Guess you're lucky I'm not in congress, since the first thing I'd do would be proposing a privacy amendment, which would ban facial recognition, among other things, like expanding the 4th amendment and the due process clause 😛

At least make an exception for facial recognition on phones now... Cmon' man 😛 

Just now, Pringles said:

At least make an exception for facial recognition on phones now... Cmon' man 😛 

It seems like a reasonable exception, since it's opt-in rather than being forced upon you against your will. Though it might be too much work to write that in there without fear of it being misinterpreted by the courts in means of stealing liberty, so I think you'll just have to stick with the return of the fingerprint 😛

Just now, Rezi said:

It seems like a reasonable exception, since it's opt-in rather than being forced upon you against your will. Though it might be too much work to write that in there without fear of it being misinterpreted by the courts in means of stealing liberty, so I think you'll just have to stick with the return of the fingerprint 😛

Man Idk... my fingerprint doesn't even work half the damn time. Like, if it's not on there JUST right... it locks me out of the damn phone. 😛 

Happens to workin' man hands especially, one little cut or peel of skin on my finger and it's useless! 😛 

Maybe we need voice recognition... 😁

Just now, Patine said:

And organized criminals and hacker collectives would easily take over the country, de facto, because law-enforcement would be rendered virtually powerless to stop them...

yes because no criminals were ever arrested before facial recognition was invented and the 4th amendment was thrown aside to burst into private homes in the middle of the night so innocent people can be shot...

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Criminals prior to these tactics didn't also have the high-tech tools to cover their tracks. And hackers were just getting started prior to these intrusive high tech investigative tactics. If law-enforcement is stripped of them to preserve Libertarian ideology, these criminal groups aren't going to give up these tactics in similar vains to protect themselves from investigation out of some sense of, "honour,' "sportsmanship," or, "fair play."

I will simply perform a citizens' arrest

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

On organized criminals? Have you seen (or heard about) all the graphic, creative, and monstrous fates they reserve for those who cross them? These things are ubiquitous in pop cultures. And are you going to make a citizen's arrest against hackers in an online chatroom?

I'm built different. i eat escobar for breakfast baby

Maybe some sort of technology that can accurately and efficiently seek and heal evil people, violent people, racist people, serial killers, in the areas where they are flaws. Basically, those people who are by nature geared to kill, hurt or take advantage of others. Obviously, there has to be several technologies first to even be able to detect if someone qualifies for improvement. I'm tired of world with Putins, Trumps, BTKs, Klan members, etc. If we had technology heal those people, all the better.