The Political Lounge

State of the Union Poll

vcczar

State of the Union Poll   

20 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be watching the 9pm EST State of the Union Address?

• Yes
    • No, but I will watch it later.
    • No, but I'll watch highlights.
    • No, and I won't go out of my way to watch it
  2. 2. Do you expect the speech to help Joe Biden at all politically?

3. 3. Do you expect the speech to be significant in any way in regards to domestic issues, COVID, or the Ukraine Situation?

4. 4. How aggressive do you expect Biden to be?

• Biden will come out attacking Trump and the GOP
    • Biden will try to play harmonious but will at least attack Trump, although he might not mention him by name.
    • Biden will play up being harmonious and make no real attacks on the opposition.
  5. 5. How long will Biden's speech be?

• Shortest SOTU ever, shorter than Nixon's 29 minute speech. (Nixon also averaged the shortest speeches)
    • Average SOTU speech -- about an hour.
    • Longest SOTU ever, longer than Bill Clinton's 1 hour and 28 minute speech. (Trump averaged the longest speeches, but a lot of that was time wasted straining to read the teleprompter and then clapping at his own words like Mussolini).

The State of the Union is a meaningless made-for-tv event, which is all the more ironic because most people wouldn't find it interesting viewing.

Imagine a world in which Biden doesn't make the speech.  In what ways does that differ from the world in which he makes the speech?

I'm sure the speech had significant relevance once upon a time.  But especially in the era of 24-hour news coverage and social media, there will be zero surprises in the speech -- they intentionally give reporters a copy in advance.  If you care, you'll know everything he plans to say before he even says it.

Nothing unique about Biden, of course.  Trump, Obama, Bush, Clinton...the only time I can remember anyone thinking a single speech was interesting (good or bad) was the Axis of Evil speech, being so soon after 9/11.  But that's it.  

• Based 3

On 3/1/2022 at 10:00 PM, DakotaHale said:

Biden calling himself a capitalist, disavowing defunding the police, and saying we should secure the border won’t go well with the Warren/AOC/Sanders crowd.

as if anyone's gonna think about these comments for long lol. it'd be a miracle if anyone's thinking about them by November