The Political Lounge

If you could live in any historical era, which would it be?

Fbarbarossa

I was literally going to say the 80s.  Haha.  (Mostly because that was my childhood).

I'm not particularly interested in going further back then that, other than briefly witnessing major historical events like the Kennedy assassination but then immediately leaving again.  I have no interest living long term in previous eras (especially without my wife and daughter).  I have a good life here in this era -- my skills wouldn't easily translate to earlier eras, and I like not having to struggle to survive anymore. ;c)

• Based 1

Yeah, I wouldn’t go too far back for more than a month or so. I’d like to spend some good time in the roaring 20s and the late 60s though 😛. Hell, I think I'd go back to lots of different 21st century decades just to party for a week and then leave, ha. 

Edited by Rezi

Like Vcczar, it really depends for me too.

I'd love to begin back in ancient times during the time of Caesar. Then I'd progress to the Dark Ages -> to 1066.

Then I'd love to head to Renaissance Italy. Then the 1700s in Europe and America. 

1800's during the Napoleonic Era. 

I'd go back and spend a lot of time in the 40s-80's probably. I've often thought I belong living somewhere in those years as an adult. 😛 

• Like 1

16th ~ 19th Century Britain, Ancient Israel, 2nd Century Asia Minor, 4th Century Caesarea, etc.

10 hours ago, Pringles said:

I'd love to begin back in ancient times during the time of Caesar. Then I'd progress to the Dark Ages -> to 1066.

Then I'd love to head to Renaissance Italy. Then the 1700s in Europe and America. 

I'd go back and spend a lot of time in the 40s-80's probably. I've often thought I belong living somewhere in those years as an adult. 😛 

Let's go and campaign for Nixon in 1960 Pringles 🙂

• Based 1

10 hours ago, Pringles said:

Let's go and campaign for Nixon in 1960 Pringles 🙂

I wouldn't want to live in any other time period. But there are some eras I'd like to observe first hand:

• Soviet Union at the height of the Cold War
  • Nazi Germany
  • Nazareth 4 BC - 40 AD
  • Uruk 2700s BC
  • Giza 2500s BC
  • Babylon 1700s BC
  • Macedon during Alexander's rule
  • Mecca during the life of Muhammad
  • Europe during the Black Death
  • French Revolution
  • Imperial Japan
  • South Africa Apartheid
  • Based 1

10 hours ago, Patine said:

Of course, there is the whole thing of changing history. Even with just subtle words and actions. And, realistically, it would NOT be so simple as portrayed in time travel and alternate universe fiction, where most changes derive, somehow, predictably from the vector of change and much of the rest, including people, nations, and other ideals, as we know them, mostly the same, or extant but altered to the vector of change. Realistically, all dependent results of actions in a vast chain, however small, would be redetermined, every random event, "recalculated," or, "rerolled," if you will, and new ones popping up down the line instead, and a veritable, "butterfly effect," of causality would result, and when you returned to your home timeline, it would be utterly unrecognizable!

Shit I didn't know time traveling existed. How'd you know all this?

The only decade I'd actually want to live in would be the 1990s but that ain't allowed. I'd more want to visit historical eras. Hop to the Roman Empire and be in Rome for a bit then hop to Germany at the height of the Reformation for example. Be a tourist ya know.

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

Why, @Pringles? Why are these puerile and obnoxious barbed responses so cherished by you? Why are you an unrepentant, toxic troll so very often? Get thee to 4chan or KiwiFarms!

He has a point though, how could you possibly be familiar with the intricacies of the physics involved in time travel.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Sayeth another purveyor of chronic and puerile retorts of late!

Seems like a coverup because you have no idea of what you're talking about other than movies or Dr. Who knowledge. 

Just now, Patine said:

Coverup? You act as if I have something to prove, or am on trial.

TELL US WHERE YOU HID THE BLUEPRINTS FOR THE FLUX CAPACITOR, WE KNOW YOU HAD THEM!

• Based 1

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

Sayeth another purveyor of chronic and puerile retorts of late!

You don’t have to go Biblical on our asses just because you can’t actually substantiate a claim which you asserted for, ostensibly, the purpose of raining on Pringle and Kitten’s purely fantastical parade.

• Agree 1
  • Based 1

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Coverup? You act as if I have something to prove, or am on trial.

Yes, prove your time travel knowledge. Give me evidence. Movies, TV Shows, and wikipedia do not count. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Patine said:

In case you two have lost the ability to take a cue in discussion, I'm done with this topic. So, too, should you, unless you want to appear the fools.

Ok time travel expert I'm sorry.

Just now, Patine said:

In case you two have lost the ability to take a cue in discussion, I'm done with this topic. So, too, should you, unless you want to appear the fools.

The classic Patine cut and run with the fool projection grenade to boot.

Textbook, old bean!

• Based 1