The Political Lounge

Virginia Gubernatorial Poll

Who would you vote for?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your preferred Democratic nominee?

• Jennifer Carroll Foy - former state delegate in VA's House of Delegates (2018-2020)
    • Lee J. Carter - state delegate in VA's House of Delegates (2018- )
    • Justin Fairfax - incumbent Lieutenant Governor of Virginia (2018- )
    • Terry McAuliffe - former Governor (2014-2018)
    • Jennifer McClellan - VA state Senator (2017- ); fmr state Delegate (2006-2017)
  2. 2. Who is your preferred Republican nominee?

• Amanda Chase - VA state senator (2016- )
    • Kirk Cox - state delegate in VA's House of Delegates; fmr Speaker of the VA House of Delegates (2018–2020)
    • Sergio de la Peña - former U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense
    • Peter Doran - former CEO of the Center for European Policy Analysis
    • Octavia Johnson - former sheriff of Roanoke (2006–2013)
    • Pete Snyder - entrepreneur; candidate for lieutenant governor of Virginia in 2013
    • Glenn Youngkin - former co-CEO of The Carlyle Group
  3. 3. Who would you back if both of your preferred nominees advance to the General Election?

• Your Democratic choice
    • Your Republican choice

Just now, Patine said:

I have no idea why, or who she is. These people are all unfamiliar to me.

She literally supports the storming of the Capitol.

Edited by Timur

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Wouldn't U.S. politics be more exciting if, though having definite trends and leanings, had no true, "safe seats," or "guaranteed Provincial (or State, in their case) political solidity" (a la, 1993 - but other examples, too) - oh, and at least four or significant parties. You, know, like the much more interesting and dynamic Canadian politics...

Wouldn't that be more interesting to follow, there, @ConservativeElector2?

I follow Canadian politics a bit as well and just because the US has virtually a two-party system it's not uninteresting ar all for me. Virginia was red in the early 2000s so it could at any time flip back.

I'd like to clarify that my vote for Amanda Chase as my preferred Republican nominee is entirely because I think she'd be the Republican most likely to lose the general election, and that I do not think she would, in any way, be a good Governor for Virginia .

Just now, Patine said:

Plus, are any Third Parties or Independents mulling a run?

Candidates[edit]

Declared[edit]

• Princess Blanding (Liberation Party), teacher, former school administrator, activist, and sister of Marcus-David Peters[4]
  • Brad Froman (Independent), business owner[5]

Publicly expressed interest[edit]

1 hour ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Yeah that's funny for sure.

Can't take this poll until I know more about the candidates. I don't recognize any of the GOP. I'm about 75% confident the next Gov will be McAuliffe regardless. 

That would be a terrible idea to do though. Some Democrats registered Republican to vote Trump in 2016 so that Hilary would have a good chance of winning. Look what happened.

@ConservativeElector2 

I finally voted after looking at the candidates. 

For Democrats, I picked McAuliffe, only because I know he'll beat any Republican he faces. Safest bet. Prior to his scandals, I would have picked Fairfax. On a side note, my cousin Robby Mook was McAuliffe's campaign manager when he first ran for governor, but that plays no factor in my decision. 

For Republicans, I picked Snyder, seeing him a lot less terrible than Youngkin (Cruz wing GOP) or Chase (Trump wing GOP). Snyder seems to be more of a Establishment GOP, which means he's less likely to be theocratic or nativist or anti-science. 

The race seems like it's going to be McAuliffe vs. Youngkin. Considering Northam won by +9, and he was considered weaker than McAuliffe as a candidate, and VA is considered to be getting Bluer every year as the DC suburbs get larger and larger, I don't think Youngkin can win if he's too close to Cruz. I think Biden will still be relatively popular -- over 50% approval by election day, which will help McAuliffe. During McAuliffe's first race, Democrats were relatively unpopular across the board, including Obama, temporarily. Despite this, McAuliffe led in every single poll from July 2013 and won the election. 

I think GOP best bet would be to run someone tied to the military with a rural background, possibly with pentagon experience. That person would probably crush most Democrats since they'd sweep the many military communities, rural areas, and part of the DC suburbs. 

25 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@ConservativeElector2 

I finally voted after looking at the candidates. 

For Democrats, I picked McAuliffe, only because I know he'll beat any Republican he faces. Safest bet. Prior to his scandals, I would have picked Fairfax. On a side note, my cousin Robby Mook was McAuliffe's campaign manager when he first ran for governor, but that plays no factor in my decision. 

True, I also thought Fairfax was the kind-of energetic and cool candidate Obama was. As you said, I had picked him prior to his scandals, but now I think McAuliffe might be better.

27 minutes ago, vcczar said:

For Republicans, I picked Snyder, seeing him a lot less terrible than Youngkin (Cruz wing GOP) or Chase (Trump wing GOP). Snyder seems to be more of a Establishment GOP, which means he's less likely to be theocratic or nativist or anti-science.

That's interesting. I read Chase and Snyder are the Trump-wing, while Youngkin and Cox have been described as moderate in the article I read.

29 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The race seems like it's going to be McAuliffe vs. Youngkin. Considering Northam won by +9, and he was considered weaker than McAuliffe as a candidate, and VA is considered to be getting Bluer every year as the DC suburbs get larger and larger, I don't think Youngkin can win if he's too close to Cruz. I think Biden will still be relatively popular -- over 50% approval by election day, which will help McAuliffe. During McAuliffe's first race, Democrats were relatively unpopular across the board, including Obama, temporarily. Despite this, McAuliffe led in every single poll from July 2013 and won the election. 

I think GOP best bet would be to run someone tied to the military with a rural background, possibly with pentagon experience. That person would probably crush most Democrats since they'd sweep the many military communities, rural areas, and part of the DC suburbs. 

I absolutely agree. Youngkin should definitely run a moderate campaign. 

For the last paragraph it sounds like Sergio de la Pena would have been the best candidate. However, I don't anything about him other than his military background - and his nice sounding name.

5 hours ago, Patine said:

@ConservativeElector2 @Timur @DakotaHale So, no one is going to tell me anything about this Youngkin, guy, eh? Just being a corporate CEO and Republican candidate is supposed to be enough, it seems, even though I just pointed out above why, at least, the executive businessperson part is not enough of a descriptive - not nearly so (except that pro-Corporate is almost certain, but there must be more - and if there isn't, why would anyone who wasn't filthy rich vote for him?).

I don't know well. I would basically be anybody-but-Chase.