Rezi

Day light ravings poll  

24 members have voted

1. 1. We should:

• A) Keep the system how it currently is, longer mornings in the winter
    • B) Standard Time all year round, always longer mornings
    • C) Daylight Savings Time all year round, always longer evenings
    • D) Other (please explain below)

I'm not terribly picky about this, but I think keeping the time consistent worldwide would be helpful. It made more sense to have different time zones when we weren't so globalized. 

I think we should all just use Greenwich Mean Time. 

7 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

The constant switching is terrible for sleep schedules

It really is. Mine's already messed up enough. Went to bed at 5 AM last night... 

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I'm not terribly picky about this, but I think keeping the time consistent worldwide would be helpful. It made more sense to have different time zones when we weren't so globalized. 

I think we should all just use Greenwich Mean Time. 

You think noon should be pitch black outside, for half the world?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

The constant switching is terrible for sleep schedules

It's not constant switching...it happens once every six months.  I've never understood all the drama.  I don't particularly sleep by the clock anyway.  I sleep because I'm tired.  I wake up because too much sun shined through my windows.  Daylight savings does not impact either one of those.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

It's not constant switching...it happens once every six months.  I've never understood all the drama.  I don't particularly sleep by the clock anyway.  I sleep because I'm tired.  I wake up because too much sun shined through my windows.  Daylight savings does not impact either one of those.

2 times which affects people's sleep schedules for weeks (and even months). That has a significant effect on people.

And you might not sleep by the clock, but lots of people do (cause not everyone is the same!). And when time gets shifted, their bodies have difficulty adjusting.

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Kitten said:

AZ is pretty lucky we don't have to worry about Daylight savings 🙂

Unlucky you mean. You’re stuck in yucky standard time for the entire year.

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I the time should be totally random hour by hour. 

• Haha 1
  • Based 1

2 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

2 times which affects people's sleep schedules for weeks (and even months). That has a significant effect on people.

And you might not sleep by the clock, but lots of people do (cause not everyone is the same!). And when time gets shifted, their bodies have difficulty adjusting.

Weeks or months?  Based on a shift of one hour, every six months?

Jet lag doesn’t last that long, and it’s far more jarring than a single hour.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Weeks or months?  Based on a shift of one hour, every six months?

Jet lag doesn’t last that long, and it’s far more jarring than a single hour.

I do think this is surprising considering your background in the health field (probably the most sleep-deprived industry on the planet).

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I do think this is surprising considering your background in the health field (probably the most sleep-deprived industry on the planet).

Right -- it's sleep deprived year round.  I'm not aware of studies that suggest there's  zero sleep deprivation year round in areas where daylight savings doesn't exist.

My wife is a nurse who used to work overnights.  Likewise (20 years ago), I worked overnights at a hotel.  One night a year, we'd work an extra hour and get paid for it.  One other night a year, we'd work one hour less and not get paid for it.  It seriously wasn't some kind of dramatic event.  

I'm sleep deprived year-round, but that's mostly due to bad decision making/rejection of responsibility.  ;c)  Not because one day five months ago the time changed a tiny bit.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Patine said:

Incorrect. It's measurement and reckoning are social and mathematical concepts. Time is immutable and omnipresent, but agnostic to how it's measured (or isn't). This is empirically evident.

Incorrect.