The Political Lounge

Who is your favorite US politician of the 21st century?

vcczar

As the title says, who is your favorite US politician of the 21st century?

I've got three: Bernie Sanders, Dennis Kucinich, and Elizabeth Warren.

Kucinich used to be the clear leader, but he's sort made some questionable statements in the last 10 years or so. He hasn't been as bad as Tulsi Gabbard and Mike Gravel, two other progressives who became bombthrowers. I used to really like Gabbard and Gravel, but they're way down my list now, especially Gabbard. The primary reason Kucinich could have been 1st over Sanders and Warren is that he reached prominence before then. He was speaking out about the issues of the 21st century--along the same lines as Sanders and Warren--before Sanders and Warren were receiving attention, although Sanders had actually been active longer. 

My primary issues with Warren and Sanders is that they both peaked at an advanced age. Sanders is closer to my ideal than Warren, but Sanders can be rigid ideologically, although not as rigid as Ron Paul. An inflexible politician isn't very effective in some cases. I see Warren as a more effective progressive in action. 

As of this moment, it's safe to say that I have a tie between Senator Amy Klobuchar and Lt. Governor John Fetterman as my favorite US politician. They're on different points of the Democratic party spectrum, but tend to agree on many positions. It's also been fascinating to watch Fetterman go from mayor of Braddock, PA to where he is today.  Have to love the emphasis on rebuilding unions.

(First politicslounge post!)

• Thanks 2
  • Based 1

43 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

As of this moment, it's safe to say that I have a tie between Senator Amy Klobuchar and Lt. Governor John Fetterman as my favorite US politician. They're on different points of the Democratic party spectrum, but tend to agree on many positions. It's also been fascinating to watch Fetterman go from mayor of Braddock, PA to where he is today.  Have to love the emphasis on rebuilding unions.

(First politicslounge post!)

Welcome! Yeah I like Fetterman too. I’m in PA. I’m okay with Klobuchar. 

Russ Feingold! He was the only Senator to vote against the Patriot Act, of course was part of the McCain-Feingold Act, voted against the Iraq War, and is one of the better Democrats when it comes to gun rights.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Ron Paul, Thomas Massie, Rand Paul, Savannah Maddox

I know nothing about Maddox or her views. I assume she's just a clone of these others. Of these, I prefer Ron Paul the most, even thought I strongly disagree with about 60% of what he believes. Rand Paul's a better politician but I think he general deviates from his father in the few areas where I agree with his father. Thomas Massie's name has come up only a few times, such as him being one of 3 people to vote against the anti-lynching bill. He also only votes for disaster relief if it affects his own state. Overall, I'm just glad that support for these people is quite minimal and localized. I would not like to see their views metastasizing any more than they already are, except in most areas of privacy and non-intervention.  

• Agree 3

40 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

Ron Paul, John Hickenlooper, Tulsi Gabbard, Thomas Massie, Justin Amash, I'm really like Francis Suarez the mayor of Maimi.

7 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Ron Paul, Ron DeSantis, Tulsi Gabbard. And also a big fan of Amash and Suarez like @SilentLiberty mentioned. Additionally I've been very impressed with Glenn Youngkin so far. If SCOTUS justices count, Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch.

Tulsi Gabbard is definitely my favorite Dem (not that the bar is that high to cross; granted the bar is pretty low for Republicans too considering how much most of them suck too).

Amash is higher for me, but his Trump stuff moved him down a bit (for someone who was critical of the surveillance state, he did give them an awful lot of credibility during the 1st Trump impeachment).

• Based 1

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Judges SHOULDN'T be counted as politicians. And they really should NEVER be selected with political ideology or bias as a feature of selection. The bench should lack such bias and leaning utterly. As it stands, a LOT of Supreme Court should be challenged on the foundational Common Law principles of bias from the bench, when made.

Give us your favorite politicians.

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I know nothing about Maddox or her views. I assume she's just a clone of these others. Of these, I prefer Ron Paul the most, even thought I strongly disagree with about 60% of what he believes. Rand Paul's a better politician but I think he general deviates from his father in the few areas where I agree with his father. Thomas Massie's name has come up only a few times, such as him being one of 3 people to vote against the anti-lynching bill. He also only votes for disaster relief if it affects his own state. Overall, I'm just glad that support for these people is quite minimal and localized. I would not like to see their views metastasizing any more than they already are, except in most areas of privacy and non-intervention.  

Massie does not vote for disaster relief for the state. However, he will ask for funds that have already been granted (because if they are going to be spent anyways, he might as well make sure his district gets some benefit). He is probably the closest elected official to Ron Paul.

You are correct about Rand playing the political game a little more. It has its pros and cons. But he doesn't deviate too much from Ron's positions. 

Maddox subscribes to a similar philosophy as the others, but she is far from a clone. State issues are different than federal issues, and thus she has her own strategy.

12 minutes ago, Rezi said:

Tulsi = Grifter

Yeah, she's odd. It's difficult to tell what her motive is, but she's just really odd. Her Twitter feed was primarily her working out and showing off when she was running for president. Then she started attacking Democrats (her own party) more than she was Trump, who she would defend. I can understand why a Trump supporter might be okay with that, but anyone leaning progressive would understand that there's no value in helping Trump take office. I don't have time to elaborate more about her right now, but I think she's hasn't any real beliefs. She's just odd and not in an endearing way. 

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, she's odd. It's difficult to tell what her motive is, but she's just really odd. Her Twitter feed was primarily her working out and showing off when she was running for president. Then she started attacking Democrats (her own party) more than she was Trump, who she would defend. I can understand why a Trump supporter might be okay with that, but anyone leaning progressive would understand that there's no value in helping Trump take office. I don't have time to elaborate more about her right now, but I think she's hasn't any real beliefs. She's just odd and not in an endearing way. 

It was just a weird strategy and it feels like she’s gone from Berniecrat to speaking at CPAC in no time. Someone who tries to play both left-populist and right-populist is clearly devoid of integrity in my book.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

To add onto mine: Along with Russ Feingold, I'm also particularly fond of Sherrod Brown, Bernie Sanders, Ricky Dale Harrington, and Jared Polis

Edited by Rezi

John McCain, George Pataki, Mitt Romney, Asa Hutchinson, Dick Cheney, George W Bush, Liz Cheney, John Bel Edwards, John Kasich, Larry Hogan, Henry McMaster, Al Gore, Connor Lamb, Glenn Youngkin....

Way too many people to pick a definitive favorite. My definitive favorites lie in the past honestly. 

However of all the ones up there, John McCain and Asa Hutchinson are probably among the top. Followed by Bush/Cheney, Romney, Pataki, and so on. 

Edited by Pringles

John McCain, Bernie Sanders, Joe Lieberman, Barack Obama, Elizabeth Warren, Dennis Kuchinch, Ralph Nader, Sherrod Brown.

Jeff Flake, Liz Cheney, Mitt Romney, Justin Amash, Carly Fiorina, Ben Sasse, Tim Scott, Larry Hogan, Brad Raffenberger, Pat Toomey, Mike Lee, Condi Rice, Betsy DeVos

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but this is a good place to start.

Top 3.

Bernie Sanders: The main reason I got involved at politics at 16

Barrack Obama: I've read all of his memoirs and is a main reason i got interested (not necessarily involved yet) before I was 16 in politics.

AOC: There is no denying I don't agree with ALOT of her views and some of her rhetoric, but she is still in my top 3. 

Honorable mentions: John Fetterman, Josh Shapiro, Elizabeth Warren, Katie Porter

Edited by themiddlepolitical