The Political Lounge

Who is your favorite US politician of the 21st century?

vcczar

8 hours ago, 10centjimmy said:

As of this moment, it's safe to say that I have a tie between Senator Amy Klobuchar and Lt. Governor John Fetterman as my favorite US politician. They're on different points of the Democratic party spectrum, but tend to agree on many positions. It's also been fascinating to watch Fetterman go from mayor of Braddock, PA to where he is today.  Have to love the emphasis on rebuilding unions.

(First politicslounge post!)

I have met Fetterman and have had some one on one conversations with him, I almost decided to work for his Senate campaign but am sitting out the primary because I know all 3 of the main contenders (Lamb,Fetterman,Kenyatta) and like them all for different reasons. He is such an easy person to talk to and I think he would be the best nominee in part of redefining US politics. I supported him during his 2016 PA senate primary.  

• Agree 1

That brings me to ask @vcczar Who are you supporting in the Senate primary? And what do you think of Kenyatta? I know he is the "your side of the state" guy since I have Fetterman and Lamb, hah. Though I see Lamb campaigning tons in Philly, which is really smart. 

Edited by themiddlepolitical

Just now, Patine said:

Since I'm utterly unfamiliar with this individual, any relation to the first and fourth Presidents of the Republic of Kenya (given it was a constructed surname by Jomo)?

Not that I know of.. @vcczar May know more since he is a state representative for his area. 

7 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

That brings me to ask @vcczar Who are you supporting in the Senate primary? And what do you think of Kenyatta? I know he is the "your side of the state" guy since I have Fetterman and Lamb, hah. Though I see Lamb campaigning tons in Philly, which is really smart. 

I'm happy with any of them. I think Lamb has the best shot at winning in the general. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Dobs said:

Jeff Flake, Liz Cheney, Mitt Romney, Justin Amash, Carly Fiorina, Ben Sasse, Tim Scott, Larry Hogan, Brad Raffenberger, Pat Toomey, Mike Lee, Condi Rice, Betsy DeVos

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but this is a good place to start.

Condi is a good one that I forgor. Don't know why she gets the hate she gets. What a great woman.

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

Is she actually a politician, though? Has she held, or run for, an actual elected office? As far as I am aware, she's only ever had executive appointments, but I could be not fully informed, I admitted. Very much like judges are not really politicians, in and of themselves.

I would certainly consider her a stateswoman and there was some discussion of her seeking of either the Governorship of California or a U.S. Senate seat there during the 2010s. So I'd say she can be allowed to qualify. Though you'd be right that she is first a diplomat and perhaps even an academic before true politician.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dobs said:

I would certainly consider her a stateswoman and there was some discussion of her seeking of either the Governorship of California or a U.S. Senate seat there during the 2010s. So I'd say she can be allowed to qualify. Though you'd be right that she is first a diplomat and perhaps even an academic before true politician.

Hey, if we're considering discussion, then we can call Condi a sportswoman as well since it was rumored that the Cleveland Browns wanted to interview her for their Head Coach position in 2018?

• Haha 1
  • Based 1

If I had to pick favorite Republicans -- Jon Huntsman, John Kasich, Larry Hogan, Charlie Baker, Bill Weld. In the era of Trump, I'll add Romney, McCain, Flake, L Cheney and any of those with the courage to support impeachment. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Rezi said:

Hey, if we're considering discussion, then we can call Condi a sportswoman as well since it was rumored that the Cleveland Browns wanted to interview her for their Head Coach position in 2018?

And for some reason, she was on the CFP selection committee

2 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

That's an interesting inclusion in your list... is it just her stance school vouchers? What is it that puts her at the same level as Condoleezza Rice and the rest of your choices?

I think she was precisely what the Department of Education needed really across the board. I was behind her on pretty much everything she did as Secretary. She is definitely relevant to me due to the poigance of education policy in my own life. She cemented her position as a favorite when she was one of the few Trump Cabinet officials to support invoking the 25th following the assault on the Capitol and, when it became clear she was in the minority, resigned her position posthaste and publically attributed the blame to the President.

• Based 1

33 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm going to be perfectly honest here. I've never truly understood what, "school voucher," means, exactly. It's not something we have in Alberta, or have had in my lifetime. Every attempt to look it up leads to articles that fail to explain it coherently, or assume a degree of familiarity with the concept by the reader from the onset. Would you be so kind as to enlighten me, here?

I’m not educated in education policy by any means and hated school so you’ll have to wait for Dobs or one of the education people to respond but I’ve always understood them as a form of tax credit for parents who enroll their children in private schooling to help pay for it. I could be wrong though and welcome someone to call me out on it bc I’d like to learn as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Based 1

I split this into my personal ideological favorite (who I agree with most) and political favorite (who has skills that I admire in politics).

Ideological favorite is Elizabeth Warren. She really speaks to many of the issues that I care about while also focusing on the impact of corruption and excess of capitalism as the cause of many of societies woes. It is a shame she did become relevant later in her life, but that is where Katie Porter comes in.

Politics favorite is Mitch McConnell. I loathe most every position he takes, but the man is a master of controlling the Senate, using parliamentary tactics to control legislation/appointments, and really manipulating a large portion of the federal government. 

Edited by Ich_bin_Tyler
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

I’m not educated in education policy by any means and hated school so you’ll have to wait for Dobs or one of the education people to respond but I’ve always understood them as a form of tax credit for parents who enroll their children in private schooling to help pay for it. I could be wrong though and welcome someone to call me out on it bc I’d like to learn as well.

That sounds about right. Not sure about the tax credit bit but it is government funds in some form to send children to private school.

Edited by Kitten
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ich_bin_Tyler said:

I split this into my personal ideological favorite (who I agree with most) and political favorite (who has skills that I admire in politics).

Ideological favorite is Elizabeth Warren. She really speaks to many of the issues that I care about while also focusing on the impact of corruption and excess of capitalism as the cause of many of societies woes. It is a shame she did become relevant later in her life, but that is where Katie Porter comes in.

Politics favorite is Mitch McConnel. I loathe most every position he takes, but the man is a master of controlling the Senate, using parliamentary tactics to control legislation/appointments, and really manipulating a large portion of the federal government. 

Echo the McConnell part. Truly a House of Cards politician. Never seen someone so open to being hated by everyone to do what they want in Congress. Even Pelosi has the need to be liked by her colleagues/public when she makes decisions (or at least that’s the vibe she gives to me). Congress will be much better when they’re gone. Not a fan of Schumer either but he’s better than the other two. McCarthy I’m not sure about yet but he seems like a bit of a flip-flopper  and opportunist.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Echo the McConnell part. Truly a House of Cards politician. Never seen someone so open to being hated by everyone to do what they want in Congress. Even Pelosi has the need to be liked by her colleagues/public when she makes decisions (or at least that’s the vibe she gives to me). Congress will be much better when they’re gone. Not a fan of Schumer either but he’s better than the other two. McCarthy I’m not sure about yet but he seems like a bit of a flip-flopper  and opportunist.

I dislike just about everyone in congressional top leadership except for the whips.

Clyburn, Durbin, and Thune, I all like to some degree. 

GOP House leadership is bad. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

McCarthy is a textbook definition of what people don't like about politicians. He is willing to say and do whatever he can to attain power and position. Part of the reason he lost to Paul Ryan for the Speakership was how much he just wanted the position and told the GOP conference what they wanted to hear to try and win.

• Agree 1

John Bolton, Mike DeWine, Joe Manchin, Larry Hogan, Joe Donnelly, Liz Cheney, Mitt Romney, Mitch McConnell

May add Russ Feingold and Tom Coburn perhaps

Hope this doesn't start a war.

Edited by Timur

6 hours ago, Patine said:

Fun fact. Back in the late '40's, before he ever even considered Communist revolutionary activities in his home country, Fidel Castro tried out for the position of pitcher for the New York Yankees, and was apparently a serious contender for the job.

Wonder what if he was became a professional baseball player...

Edited by Timur

10 hours ago, Dobs said:

I think she was precisely what the Department of Education needed really across the board. I was behind her on pretty much everything she did as Secretary. She is definitely relevant to me due to the poigance of education policy in my own life. She cemented her position as a favorite when she was one of the few Trump Cabinet officials to support invoking the 25th following the assault on the Capitol and, when it became clear she was in the minority, resigned her position posthaste and publically attributed the blame to the President.

Interesting. While I don't agree with her policies, I appreciate you taking the time to dive into your reasoning. 

I must admit, I had a "one of these things is not like the others" moment seeing her name there. 

12 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Ironically, McConnell has struggled to keep the Republican caucus together on key votes, most notably repealing Obamacare. And it is becoming more and more often that more R Senators vote against his position than R Senators who do.

On 3/14/2022 at 7:18 PM, Patine said:

Fun fact. Back in the late '40's, before he ever even considered Communist revolutionary activities in his home country, Fidel Castro tried out for the position of pitcher for the New York Yankees, and was apparently a serious contender for the job.

https://www.npr.org/2016/11/30/503752196/no-fidel-castro-wasnt-nearly-a-new-york-yankee