The Political Lounge

AMPU Start Date Feedback Poll

vcczar

AMPU Start Date Feedback Poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. I plan to have the game allow a start date for every presidential election. How should the start dates work? For instance, for the 1960 start date....

• Game should start with the 1960 Primaries -- players picking who they will run from their faction.
    • Game should start with the 1960 General election with the historical nominees.
    • Game should start with the JFK administration in place so that a player who wants to play the Kennedy administration can do so from the start.
    • I would like to see all of these options possible for every start date.
  2. 2. If option 1 or 2 from above, I will have to totally redo all the start date info from 1788-2020. Would you be willing to help me fill out a spreadsheet so the game know who is in what office every single 2-year election cycle?

• Yes, and I understand this will be a tedious task--a Vietnam War-like quagmire experience of data entry.
    • No
  3. 3. If option 1 and 2 from the above, it will likely involve the creation of several more obscure politicians who served only 2 years in office and such. Would you be willing to fill these out once they're identified?

• Yes, and I understand this will be a tedious task--a Vietnam War-like quagmire experience of data entry.
    • No
  4. 4. Any other thoughts regarding start dates?

Voted no for questions 2 & 3, but would be good to know more about the process. If the data entry is taking data from one uniform source and entering it into an excel sheet or something similar then I might have a way of making the process much quicker/be able to do it, but depends where the data would be coming from.

I voted for starting with JFK as President. While I would love to tryout a 60’s with someone different at the helm from the start, I think leaving it as is makes the most sense. The whole point of a common start point is a shared understanding of whose in charge. If you’re not starting the 1960s with Kennedy as President, then the start date really just feels arbitrary. If you want completely different history, you can start the game in the 1770’s. But I understand the appeal of all the options.

Voted no for 2 & 3 just because I think changing start dates now would ultimately be a less-than-useful process, especially for the amount of work required.

• Like 1

I saw this discussion last night but didn't say anything because I thought everyone made really good points. It might seem like a cop out of "no opinion", but really it's more like "all those opinions are great".  I thought about making all options available, but didn't realize how much work it would be, which is again, another fair point.  I think at this stage it might be too much work, even though I also think the options would *greatly* improve the quality of the finished product.  I don't know how feasible this is, and if it's completely off the table, just ignore this suggestion entirely, but maybe complete the game as planned (for this feature), and then provide a "free DLC" later when there's time to redo the database.  Dunno if Anthony signed on for that though.

Edit:  I was reading all the threads right as I got home, some of the relevant information was in other threads.  After seeing the updated discussion in the "to do" thread, I am more in line with everyone else.

Edited by OrangeP47

7 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I acquiesce to starting with Kenendy in office, now that I understand that the work of identifying reps, etc, is already done.

Will his cabinet also already be in place?  Or would we start at the beginning of 2.1?

It seems most fitting to start at the actual beginning of the cycle with a proper draft. If we skip to cabinet selection, we lose the chance for players to do the first draft, personalize their faction, and set their own Faction Leaders and own Party Leader. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cal said:

It seems most fitting to start at the actual beginning of the cycle with a proper draft. If we skip to cabinet selection, we lose the chance for players to do the first draft, personalize their faction, and set their own Faction Leaders and own Party Leader. 

Agreed!

4 minutes ago, Cal said:

Though I didn't spell it out in my large post (somehow, I sure said a lot of stuff about nothing), this is basically where I was at.  It's a sliding scale of "player customization" vs "the start date didn't appear in a vacuum".  On one hand, the players are the players, but on the other, we have to answer the question "what makes 1960?" (or what ever start date have you). Is 1960 just a collection of politicians, or is 1960 a point in a timeline? IDK, that's where I was before I tempered my opinion with how much work it'd be to change.

• Like 1

I do think we should do a full draft in the game for any starting scenario -- give the option to automate it for those who don't want it, but give the draft option.  Let people try to grab the people they want the most, either for fun or for strategy or both.  @Cal can run the playtest however he wants, but for the actual computer game, I think the draft option is important.

40 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I acquiesce to starting with Kenendy in office, now that I understand that the work of identifying reps, etc, is already done.

Will his cabinet also already be in place?  Or would we start at the beginning of 2.1?

• Based 1

10 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I do think we should do a full draft in the game for any starting scenario -- give the option to automate it for those who don't want it, but give the draft option.  Let people try to grab the people they want the most, either for fun or for strategy or both.  @Cal can run the playtest however he wants, but for the actual computer game, I think the draft option is important.

Hearing other thoughts on this, this is where I ultimately land. You don't want the game to be overwhelming at first for a new player who doesn't understand a lot of what is happening, which is why I felt that just starting with Kennedy in office made sense. However, allowing for an automatic draft would help ease people into the game and would solve that. Then you have us over here who are eating, breathing, and dreaming AMPU who know how to draft and make some of the more complicated decisions. 

Yeah, starting with a draft would certainty be the most fun way to start an era. In general, I am in favor of every aspect of the drafting part of this game. It's really just such a great idea to add that to a politics/history game.  

• Like 2