The Political Lounge

Who will be the next great world power?

vcczar

Who will be the next great world power?   

27 members have voted

1. 1. Arguably, the only two world powers are currently the US and China (some might include Russia, India, or the European Union, but I have reasons for excluding them). Which of the two world powers will likely cease to be a reigning world power first?

2. 2. Should the US and/or China fall from being a reigning world power, which nation is most likely to surpass the US and/or China?

• Russia
    • India
    • Brazil
    • Mexico
    • Nigeria
    • Turkey
    • Poland
    • Germany
    • UK
    • France
    • The European Union
    • Canada
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Indonesia
    • Japan
    • Other (mention below)
  3. 3. If you could choose where you were born and would live, which would you prefer?

• Live in a reigning world power, such as the US or China
    • Live in an up & coming potential world power, such as India, Brazil, Nigeria, or Mexico
    • Live in a nation making little attempt at international power by focusing on domestic quality of life and happiness, such as Finland, Sweden, and Norway.
    • Live in a nation that is off the radar of most people, such as the Maldives, Lesotho, and Papua New Guinea.
    • Other (mention below)
  4. 4. How much does it matter to you that the US is the leading (or shared with China) world power? Pick the one that most closely resembles your thoughts.

• 100% matters! And we should do everything it takes to remain as one.
    • It matters, mostly because I don't yet trust our rivals. I'd be okay with another free society (or freer society) taking the lead, however.
    • I understand that there may some necessities for our status, but being a superpower is low on my list of priorities for what our country needs to do.
    • 0% matters! Many of the flaws in our government and our society are based on our constant desire for international power.
    • Other (Only if the top 4 do not in any way resemble your thoughts. Please elaborate below.

51 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Useless and redundant are two words that mean the same thing, making one of them...wait for it...redundant.

Meanwhile, superlative means something completely the opposite of useless and redundant.

So you chose three words that leave a very confusing message about redundancy, when just one word would have been perfectly clear.

The funny thing is he literally posted that message saying. . . "I already said something to someone else and have nothing new to say".

• Based 1

8 hours ago, Patine said:

Childish antics. It's what I get for being on a forum where all but five regular posters were born after the advent of the Internet to usage beyond university nerds, hackers, and major nation militaries, the invention of the smart phone, and the pilot episode of the Simpsons. 🙄

I didn't know not being in your 30s so you could've seen the pilot episode of the Simpsons in 1989 makes you a totally childish buffoon, but maybe your brilliance is just lost on me with this comment.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mark2 said:

I didn't know not being in your 30s so you could've seen the pilot episode of the Simpsons in 1989 makes you a totally childish buffoon, but maybe your brilliance is just lost on me with this comment.

i'm 38 and he thinks I'm a childish buffoon too.  That said, I paid no attention to the internet, smart phones, or the Simpsons until they'd all already reached mainstream acceptance, so maybe I don't count.  ;c)

• Haha 2