The Political Lounge

A Marvelous Roleplay

WVProgressive

Hey there, True Believers! Very recently @Fbarbarossalaunched a Marvel NYC rp, which didn't take off. Nonetheless, I was very intrigued by the idea of an rp wherein players would take control of the various Marvel Heroes, and Villains that call the Big Apple home. Because of this, @Fbarbarossa, and I have decided to reboot the rp, and run it together as co-dms.

It’ll play like my previous Batman, and Star Wars (Which I am still running) rps, 5 events a turn, episodic writeup format, and the ability to recruit more characters to your faction. Admittedly I’m more of a DC fan than a Marvel fan, so if you have any questions in that regard, bring them up to Barb, he’s the expert between the two of us. If you have any other questions about the rp, you can ask either of us, and we’ll clear that up for you as best we can.

Should they choose to participate, @Richard and @Willthescout7will be allowed to retain control of The Kingdom, and Daredevil, since they joined the original RP.

Factions:

The Kingdom  @Richard

Character(s): The Kingpin, Benjamin Poindexter, Herman Schultz, Aleski Sytevich

Bio: The mysterious crime lord known only as The Kingpin holds sway over a massive chunk of New York’s criminal underbelly. Beaten only by the Maggia, and even then only slightly, The Kingdom has roots in nearly every facet of New York life, even the NYPD. In the age of supermen, will the Kingdom crumble, or shall it eliminate new foes, and old to become the dominant power player in New York.

Win Conditions: The Maggia faction is eliminated, NYPD ranks are depleted, all masked superheroes have been eliminated, and the safety, and corruption meters are at their lowest point. 

Maggia 

Characters: Silvermane, Hammerhead, Count Luchino Nefaria, Frank Costa, Billy Russo, Gordo Nobili, Don Fortunato

Bio: An alliance of five of New York’s oldest, and most established crime families, the Maggia is the largest Criminal Organization in NY. With puppets inside the police, and city governments, the Maggia has remained mostly free from prosecution. But that was before the days of masked vigilantes roaming the streets. Can the Maggia maintain their hold on New York’s underbelly, or will they be swept away by a new generation of criminals.

Win Conditions: The Kingpin has been exposed, and eliminated, all other bad alignment factions have been absorbed or eliminated by the Maggia, and the safety, and corruption meters are at their lowest point.

Stark Industries @Pringles

Character(s): Tony Stark/Iron Man, JARVIS, Happy Hogan, James Rhodes, Pepper Potts

Bio: America’s premier tech company, Stark Industries has taken a small hit after exiting the arms industry. Led by playboy-turned-philanthropist Tony Stark, Stark Industries’ has diverted its Arms Manufacturing Division into Stark’s Iron Man project. As Iron Man can Tony save the city he loves, while also running a profitable business? 

Win Conditions: Safety, Public Opinion on Superheroes, and Economic Growth meters are at their highest point, Hammer Industries has been absorbed, and no bad alignment factions are active

Vigilante-Hero: 55/100

Oscorp

Character(s): Norman Osborn/Green Goblin, Harry Osborn, Spencer Smythe, Alastair Smythe, Otto Octavious

Bio:

Win Conditions: Safety, and Corruption meters are their lowest points, Economic Growth is at its highest point, and all Industrial, and Criminal factions have been absorbed under the leadership of Green Goblin.

Hammer Industries @Rezi

Character(s): Justin Hammer, Mark Scarlotti, Gregor Shapanka

Bio: Can Hammer Industries replace Stark Industries as America’s foremost technology company?

Win Conditions: Economic Growth is at its highest point, and Stark Industries has been eliminated

The Daily Bugle

Character(s): J. Jonah Jameson, Ben Ulrich, Robbie Robertson, Mary Jane Watson, Eddie Brock, Betty Brant

Bio: New York’s most popular local newspaper, The Daily Bugle is equally notable for having some of the best reporters in the business, as well as one of the most conspiratorial editorial sections this side of 4-chan. Will the Bugle be able to maintain its prestige, and sales numbers? More importantly, who will get J. Jonah Jameson some Pictures of Spider-Man!?

Win Conditions: Pictures of Spider-Man, and other superheroes have been published, and the Trust in the Media, and Daily Bugle Sales meters are at their highest point

Bugle Sales: 7/10

NYPD

Character(s):Commissioner Nalini Karnik, Captain George Stacy, Captain Yuri Watanabe, Detective Patrick Mulligan, Officer Kevin Cole, Officer Charlotte Jones, Det. Rafael Scarfe, Det. Alex Kurtz

Bio: New York’s finest has protected the city from crime for genertations. But that was a long time ago, before the age of supermen. With masked vigilantes, and villains running wild on the streets of the Big Apple, the NYPD is in crisis. Will they be able to hold the line, or will they be overrun by lawlessness?

Win Conditions: All masked vigilantes have been revealed, and either eliminated or deputized, safety, unrest, and corruption are at their highest points, and all bad alignment factions have been eliminated.

Nelson&Murdock: Attorneys At Law @Willthescout7

Character(s): Matt Murdock/Daredevil, Foggy Nelson, Karen Page

Bio: Blinded as a child after saving a pedestrian from a speeding vehicle, and orphaned after his father was killed by a small-time bookie after refusing to take a dive, Matt Murdock has become the masked vigilante Daredevil, protecting his hometown Hell’s Kitchen. A hero by night, by day Murdock is a defense attorney with his longtime ally Foggy Nelson. Can Daredvil protect his beloved city, or will the forces of evil prove to be too much for him?

Win Conditions: Safety, Unrest, Quality of Life, and Corruption meters are at their highest point, all bad factions have been eliminated, and Daredevil’s secret identity remains secure from the public.

Vigilante-Hero: 55/100

Spider-Friends @Sean F Kennedy

Character(s): Peter Parker/Spider-Man, Aunt May Parker, 

Bio: Part time student, part time photographer, full time hero! Peter Parker was once an average American highschooler, but after being bitten by a radioactive spider, he has become your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. Can Peter web up crime while also protecting those closest to him?

Win Conditions: Safety, Unrest, Quality of Life, Public Opinion on Superheroes, and Corruption meters are at their highest point, all bad factions have been eliminated, and Spider-Man’s secret identity remains secure from the public.

Vigilante-Hero: 60/100

The Punisher

Character(s): Frank Castle/The Punisher

Bio: A highly decorated Marine Captain, Frank Castle became The Punisher after his family was gunned down in front of him on orders of Frank Costa. New York’s most brutal vigilante, Frank is at times reviled by criminal, and heroes alike. Can Frank exact his special brand of punishment on New York’s underbelly?

Win Conditions: All Bad-alignment characters have been killed, the Safety, and Corruption meters are at their highest position, and Frank Castle is alive, and free

Vigilante-Hero: 20/100

Universal Meters:

Trust in the Media: 5/10 - New Yorkers have a normal level of skepticism with regards to their papers, and reporters.

Safety: 3/10 - Though the NYPD prevents any major disasters, crime is nonetheless still prevalent in the city, mostly emanating from the Maggia, and the Mysterious Kingpin.

Economic Growth: 7/10 - The City that never sleeps has a vigorous economy at the present moment.

Quality of Life: 4/10 - New York’s quality of life is not the best, with high pollution, and homelessness hampering the city.

Unrest: 11/20 - The populace is mostly content, for now.

Budget: 4/10 - The budget is currently in a minor deficit

Corruption: 2/10 - Corruption is rampant in New York’s government, and it is hampering the government’s ability to fight crime, and serve the city’s populace.

Public Opinion on Superheroes: 50/100 - The Public is still largely undecided on superheroes.

Edited by WVProgressive

Man, Stark Industries or The Daily Bugle sound like great options for me. Count me in if this gets plenty of participation. I'll hold on to Stark for now and see if anything changes my mind. Honestly conflicted. 

• Like 1

Alright @Willthescout7 @Rezi @Sean F Kennedy @Pringles @Richard Y’all can start your events for turn one now, and anybody else who wishes to join may do so. @Rodja @Kitten @Hestia and @The Blood come to mind as people who may be interested in joining, as they have played in similar rps in the past, but anyone is welcome to join if they are interested.

2 hours ago, Willthescout7 said:

What moves am I allowed to do? Is there a set list I have to choose from?

I like for my rps to be as free form as possible. So long as I can parse out the general idea of what you’re trying to do, it should be fine. 

• Thanks 1

The Kingdom

Negotiation: The Kingpin will reach out to Justin Hammer to form an alliance between Hammer Industries and the Kingdom. The Kingdom will aid in the destruction of Stark Industries in return for Hammer Industries aiding in the destruction of the Maggia. 

Hit: Kingpin will send Bullseye (Benjamin Poindexter) to assassinate Hammerhead. If successful, the Kingpin will attempt to adsorb the leaderless Hammerhead crime family into his empire. 

Negotiation 2X: The Kingpin will send one of his lieutenants to attempt to flip Frank Costa and the Costa crime family over to supporting the Kingdom. The appropriate amount of material inducement will be offered to him as well as a place of prestige in the Kingdom.  

Corruption: The Kingpin will use his influence in the NYPD to have them crack down on the Maggia. As the police arrest or destroy portions of the Maggia the Kingdom will take over that operation/territory. 

• Like 1

@Willthescout7 @Rezi @Sean F Kennedy @Pringles Reminder to get your events in. No rush though, since I still need to finish up the Star Wars write-up!

• Like 1
  • Based 1

@Willthescout7 @Rezi @Sean F Kennedy @Pringles Alright! I am now done finished with the Star Wars write-up, meaning I am 100% free to start working on the write-up for this, once y'all get your events in. I'm very excited to get this going, and can't wait to start writing!

1. Hammer Industries will work on creating a new prototype of their new "Iron Hammer", which is an Iron-Man rip off.
  2. Justin Hammer will agree to work with the Kingpin, knowing that their two factions could run this city properly.
  3. Hammer industries will attempt to recruit Ezekiel Stane, the son of former Stark associate and rival Obadiah Stane.
  4. Mark Scarlotti will talk to the Maggia, as an effort of convincing them that he's a truly ally of theirs.
  5. Behind the scenes though, Scarlotti works on a suit with some of Hammer Industries' supplies. This suit would be made with cybernetic electric whips, something that could dent even the powerful Iron Man.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

@WVProgressivecan you give me until Monday? I'm at Drill right now in the middle of a field.

Yes of course, I very much understand. I hope it goes well for you!

1. Peter Parker will attempt to gain a raise at the Daily Bugle to a photographer and a journalist.

2. May Parker will start community organizing to help the impoverished areas of New York.

3. Spider-Man will be on watch while Kathy Hochul visits the city ensuring the Governor is safe.

4. Spider-Man will go to the areas with the highest violent crime and look to bring justice to those who break the law. 

5. Finally Peter Parker will seek an internship at Stark Industries.

1. Matt will take on a courtcase to defend someone who is too poor to pay for a legal defense and was clearly framed.

2. Daredevil will patrol Hell's Kitchen.

3. Daredevil stops a mugging in a back alley.

4. Murdock and Nelson work to uncover evidence against the Kingpin.

5. Murdock trains in an attempt to further his skills.

Thank you for the additional time

1. Tony Stark will attend a new tech gala and show off the latest for the PR stunt. Displaying his company's power and trashing Hammer Industries. Saying, "Yeah, I'm better. Maybe they should just give up and join me." Tony will instruct his shareholders to attempt to begin corporate infiltration of Hammer Industries, with the hopes of eventually persuading leadership to merge with Stark Industries when a disaster strikes.

2. Iron Man will work on a project, concerning his suits. Building what he hopes to be the best suit he'll ever have. He has a blueprint for the "Silver Centurion Armor." Or simply, Mark VIII. He begins laying out a plan with JARVIS on how to begin work on this beauty. 

3. On a night when Tony is bored, sitting at home, enjoying the calm evening, he tells Jarvis to be on the lookout for any incidents that may occur throughout the night. He has bad vibes from the Kingpin, and maybe Hammer Industries. 

4. Iron Man and James will assist the NYPD however they can, should they need it.

5. Iron Man will go out and patrol the streets, and pose for selfies with the kids. In order to promote super heroes, and his own public image. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking about trying this out as the NYPD, but just wanted to ask a couple of questions first-

-I'm not super familiar with the Marvel universe, and taking a quick look at the named characters in the NYPD, I saw that some are corrupt, and some become heroes or villains.  It would be tricky for me to keep track of everything, so would there be any issue with assuming that if I use any of the named characters, all of them are honest, mundane cops?

-Could I get a quick rundown of the game mechanics?  I get that it's mostly freeform, but looking at the other RPs I see that there are dice rolls and ways to get multiple rolls for the same action, so I was just hoping someone could give me a summary of how this all works before I try jumping in.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Largo833 said:

-Could I get a quick rundown of the game mechanics?  I get that it's mostly freeform, but looking at the other RPs I see that there are dice rolls and ways to get multiple rolls for the same action, so I was just hoping someone could give me a summary of how this all works before I try jumping in.

You get 5 events per turn, which can be used do basically whatever you want with a few caveats. Die rolls represent how well that action goes for your faction. If you want an event to be double rolled, put a x2 next to it to let us know, and we’ll use one of your five rolls to boost that event.

13 hours ago, Largo833 said:

-I'm not super familiar with the Marvel universe, and taking a quick look at the named characters in the NYPD, I saw that some are corrupt, and some become heroes or villains.  It would be tricky for me to keep track of everything, so would there be any issue with assuming that if I use any of the named characters, all of them are honest, mundane cops?

I’ll have to run that by @Fbarbarossa, but I’m not opposed to you running an NYPD made up of only good guys. Though we’d also probably have to make a separate faction for the corrupt cops as well.

Edited by WVProgressive

48 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

You get 5 events per turn, which can be used do basically whatever you want with a few caveats. Die rolls represent how well that action goes for your faction. If you want an event to be double rolled, put a x2 next to it to let us know, and we’ll use one of your five rolls to boost that event.

I’ll have to run that by @Fbarbarossa, but I’m not opposed to you running an NYPD made up of only good guys. Though we’d also probably have to make a separate faction for the corrupt cops as well.

Thanks for the response!  So just to make sure I understand correctly- if I choose to double roll an action, do I then take just four actions?  And is there a limit to how many rolls I assign to an action- for instance, if I tried something that I desperately wanted to work, could I take just one action and assign all five rolls to it?

And regarding good vs bad cops, my assumption was that if my request was approved, there would still be dirty cops in the NYPD, but that they’d a more generic, faceless aspect, possibly accounted for in things like the corruption score.  I just saw that the objectives for the faction seemed to portray it as strongly good-aligned, so I’m not sure how that’d work if I’m simultaneously playing corrupt police members as well.  I hope that makes sense, and just let me know if there’s any issues and I’ll try to adapt!

2 hours ago, Richard said:

If we do get another good/hero faction, could we boost the villain factions somehow. There are only two of us 🥺

Ha!  That’s what you get for turning to a life of crime!  Crime doesn’t pay, kids!

(But yeah, I’d be fine with the villains getting a boost.)