The Political Lounge

2024 Democratic Primary Poll

vcczar

2024 Democratic Primary Poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for if these were the candidates? [w/ Biden]

• I would not vote in the Democratic Primary, even if I had the opportunity to do so.
    • Pres Joe Biden
    • VP Kamala Harris
    • Fmr Sec Hillary Clinton
    • Sen Bernie Sanders
    • Sec. Pete Buttigieg
    • Gov nom Stacey Abrams
    • Sen Elizabeth Warren
    • Rep Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
    • Sen. Amy Klobuchar
    • Sen. Joe Manchin
  2. 2. Who would you vote for if these were the candidates? [w/o Biden]

• I would not vote in the Democratic Primary, even if I had the opportunity to do so.
    • VP Kamala Harris
    • Sen Bernie Sanders
    • Sec. Pete Buttigieg
    • Gov nom Stacey Abrams
    • Sen Elizabeth Warren
    • Sen. Amy Klobuchar
    • Sen Joe Manchin
  3. 3. Who would you vote for if these were the candidates? [w/o Biden and Harris]

• Sen Bernie Sanders
    • Sec. Pete Buttigieg
    • Gov nom Stacey Abrams
    • Sen Elizabeth Warren
    • Sen. Amy Klobuchar
    • Sen Joe Manchin
  4. 4. Who would you vote for if these were the candidates? [w/ only Democrats under 60 in 2024.]

• Sec. Pete Buttigieg
    • Gov nom Stacey Abrams
  5. 5. If you voted or supported Romney in 2012, Trump in 2016, or Trump in 2020 in the general elections, which Democrat do you think is most likely to both 1) Excite the Democratic base and 2) defeat the GOP challenger in 2024?

• I did not support Romney or Trump
    • Biden
    • Harris
    • Clinton
    • Sanders
    • Buttigieg
    • Abrams
    • Warren
    • Ocasio-Cortez
    • Klobuchar
    • Manchin
  6. 6. If you voted or supported Democrats in 2012-2020, which Democrat do you think is most likely to both 1) Excite the Democratic base and 2) defeat the GOP challenger in 2024?

• I did not support Democrats for president in 2012-2020
    • Biden
    • Harris
    • Clinton
    • Sanders
    • Buttigieg
    • Abrams
    • Warren
    • Ocasio-Cortez
    • Klobuchar
    • Manchin

Well a Harris poll found Buttigieg losing to Trump by 11 points. The same poll found Biden losing to Trump by 3 points. So when it comes to defeating Trump, Biden is still better.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Timur said:

Well a Harris poll found Buttigieg losing to Trump by 11 points. The same poll found Biden losing to Trump by 3 points. So when it comes to defeating Trump, Biden is still better.

Buttigieg performing at Kamala numbers there. 

29 minutes ago, Timur said:

I agree.  While my personal preference is Pete, I think Biden is the correct nominee as long as he is capable of running.

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

It's Trump's numbers in 2016, 2020, and potentially for 2024 that should really scare you. It means a lot of Americans have, in the last few years, started thinking like PoliticalPundit... 😞 

Joe Biden (2020) received more votes for President than any other candidate in US History.  By millions and millions of votes.

But do you know who got the second most votes in US history?

Donald Trump.

And not 2016 Donald Trump.  It was 2020 Donald Trump.

He got MORE votes in 2020 than he did in 2016.  

People who didn’t want Trump in 2016 were actually persuaded to support him after seeing four years of what a Trump Presidency was actually like.

That scares me more than anything else does.

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Joe Biden (2020) received more votes for President than any other candidate in US History.  By millions and millions of votes.

But do you know who got the second most votes in US history?

Donald Trump.

And not 2016 Donald Trump.  It was 2020 Donald Trump.

He got MORE votes in 2020 than he did in 2016.  

People who didn’t want Trump in 2016 were actually persuaded to support him after seeing four years of what a Trump Presidency was actually like.

That scares me more than anything else does.

What scares me more at this point is the thought of him performing better (% wise if turnout is lower in 2024) after the fact of the insurrection. 

Goes to show a lot of what a clown world we live in. And also goes to show how many people are disappointed in Biden.

Although I think as we get closer to 2024 we'll see less Trump leading polls. As things will narrow up most likely. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

Well, to be fair, counted number of votes compared to past candidates is a deceptive statistic, because population grows, and more people become politically active, or at certain junctures, even ALLOWED to vote. Let me a demonstrative point on the counted number thing. The elected world in all of world history with the most counted votes behind his two victories in contested elections is Narendi Modi. The kicker is - he's the Prime Minister of India, and won in 2014 and 2019. George Washington got a little over 13 000 votes in 1789 - and he was, effectively, the only one on the ballot for President. Do you see what I'm getting at about the flaw of the counted number of votes statistic when comparing to other election results?

Yes. I’m aware that there are more people alive today than there were in 1788.  That wasn’t confusing to me.

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Yes. I’m aware that there are more people alive today than there were in 1788.  That wasn’t confusing to me.

12 minutes ago, Patine said:

Once again, like a notable number of times before, you've utterly missed the point of what I'm saying. This seems to be a flaw you're prone to be susceptible to...

i am sorry that I failed you again.  Thank you for never giving up on me.  

Have you tried maybe making your points more effectively?  

You specifically referenced population growth.  I confirmed that, yes, I am aware that population growth exists -- because, while I am no doubt stupid, I am not "that" stupid.  You said nothing in your post that I didn't already know or could not reasonably guess.

I think the issue here is that you thought you made an interesting point, but forgot to type it.

Just a few people if Biden doesn't run, some mentioned already:

Booker can still resonate with folks, especially if the goal is "turn over a new leaf with compassion".

Andy Beshear as the red state moderate. 

Tom Wolf or Gretchen Whitmer, wouldn't be crazy to see a rust belt Governor catch. 

Mark Kelly is a former astronaut, Tammy Duckworth is a hero.

Dems have a good bench of effective leaders who would benefit losing that "obscure" trait.

But do I want to see another 20+ primary? Nope.

57 minutes ago, Patine said:

My point was, if more people were voting than in the past, how is it a staggering statistic that Biden or Trump got more counted votes than Reagan in 1984, Nixon in 1972, or FDR in 1936, with their landslide PERCENTAGES in those years? Shouldn't percentages of the vote in a given election be more valid for, "shock value," statistics than counted vote numbers? That was my point, really. That counted numbers of votes between different elections is a deceptive or misleading statistic to quote over percentages.

And I understood that point.  It was simply irrelevant to my actual statement.

I never presented the idea that it was staggering that BIden received the most votes of all time.

I DO consider it staggering that Trump received more votes in 2020 than in 2016.  

The US population grew by only 4 million people over the course of those four years.  But the number of people who voted for Trump increased by TWELVE million.  

7 minutes ago, 10centjimmy said:

Just a few people if Biden doesn't run, some mentioned already:

Booker can still resonate with folks, especially if the goal is "turn over a new leaf with compassion".

Andy Beshear as the red state moderate. 

Tom Wolf or Gretchen Whitmer, wouldn't be crazy to see a rust belt Governor catch. 

Mark Kelly is a former astronaut, Tammy Duckworth is a hero.

Dems have a good bench of effective leaders who would benefit losing that "obscure" trait.

But do I want to see another 20+ primary? Nope.

Booker -- he's amazing on paper, but I'm always underwhelmed when I see him speak.  It feels like a performance, in a way that is different from other politicians.  I don't mean to suggest that other politicians aren't also performing.  But Booker's speeches tend to include a lot of emotions that just don't seem real to me.  It's like watching an actor -- and not a particularly skilled one.  I'd still like to see him as a VP, but I don't see President in him yet.

I don't really know Beshear or Whitmer, but I can tell you as a Pittsburgh native there are a LOT of people in PA who can't stand Wolf. Mostly due to COVID mandates.  (I don't personally have a problem with him, but people I know who barely pay attention to politics at all are still really mad at Wolf).

I'm not sure astronaut overlaps much with Presidential duties/skillsets.  I know he's a Senator now, but he's been a Senator for less time than I've needed to see a dentist about a specific tooth problem I've been having.  Haha. 

Duckworth...maybe.  I think she's more destined for a cabinet position some day, if she wants it.  I don't see her running for President.

Another name that tends to get bandied about is Sherrod Brown, Senator of Ohio.  I like him, and have worked with him personally on various professional endeavors.  But despite his name being in the mix for decades, he's never shown any particular interest in it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I'm not sure astronaut overlaps much with Presidential duties/skillsets.  I know he's a Senator now, but he's been a Senator for less time than I've needed to see a dentist about a specific tooth problem I've been having.  Haha. 

Without diving into his military background as a naval pilot, and anti-gun violence advocate, it's not hard to see how he could already be more qualified than a TV star/landlord.

:classic_wink:

In all seriousness, 2008/2020 DNC and 2012/2016 GOP demonstrated that anyone could catch fire in a crowded field.  Why not the guy who's been to space?

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Weren't one of the 1988 Democratic Primary candidates a former astronaut? I can't quite remember, and I'd have to check, but it seems to me to have been so...

John Glenn, 1984.  But he'd been Senator for 10 years by that point.

He also ran a terrible campaign, which involved...no actual campaigning. Ha.  He polled the highest of any Democrat against Reagan, but ended up finishing fifth in Iowa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Weren't one of the 1988 Democratic Primary candidates a former astronaut? I can't quite remember, and I'd have to check, but it seems to me to have been so...

John Glenn might be who you're thinking of? He was a former astronaut and Senator for Ohio, and he ran for President in 1984.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hestia said:

By which none would actually vote in a Dem primary 😛 

LET ME DREAM IN PEACE OK 😛 

Man imagine the absolute chaos if the anti trump coalition in the GOP just dipped and announced they are now Dems... 

what a shakeup lmfaoooo

A huge lucky amount of that and some profound vote split like we see in this poll would lead to the Manchin W. 😛