The Political Lounge

Era of the Future and Era of Independence Ideas

vcczar

14 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

The Irish part of my family has been here a bit longer, but the German part (the majority) came over in 1914, just in time to avoid WW1 in Europe.  Probably literally dodged a bullet with that one.

My German side came over in 1957. A little too late to dodge that bullet 😛 

@matthewyoung123 @OrangeP47 @MrPotatoTed

My ancestors during our game's timeline--at least those in America--were in MA, NJ, and PA. At about 1802 to 1805, some moved to OH. 

My PA ancestors were German-descent. One of them was one of the burghers who ran Germantown (now part of Philadelphia) in the early 1700s. My NJ ancestors, I think, were recently from England. My MA ancestors had been there since as early as 1628. A lot of the were in the colonial legislature, judges, generals or other military officers, etc. My ancestor Richard Adams is in AMPU, and he was a delegate at the Massachusetts Constitutional Convention. 

I also had ancestors in England, various parts of Germany (including Slavic Germans), and in what is now the Czech Republic (Bohemian and Moravian). My dad's side was completely in Europe. My mom's paternal side was completely in the US at this time. My mom's maternal side was about 75% in Europe and 25% in the US. So most of my DNA wasn't here. 

My earliest American was 1628 (to Salem, MA) and my last immigrants (the Czechs) arrived in 1907. 

2 minutes ago, Rezi said:

My German side came over in 1957. A little too late to dodge that bullet 😛 

WW2 still almost got us regardless.  My grandpa on that side was in the Navy, at Pearl Harbor, and overall during the war 4 of the 5 ships he was on were sunk with him aboard, including the only US aircraft carrier sunk by direct naval gunfire as opposed to aerial bombardment (talk about unlucky).

Edited by OrangeP47

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@matthewyoung123 @OrangeP47 @MrPotatoTed

My ancestors during our game's timeline--at least those in America--were in MA, NJ, and PA. At about 1802 to 1805, some moved to OH. 

My PA ancestors were German-descent. One of them was one of the burghers who ran Germantown (now part of Philadelphia) in the early 1700s. My NJ ancestors, I think, were recently from England. My MA ancestors had been there since as early as 1628. A lot of the were in the colonial legislature, judges, generals or other military officers, etc. My ancestor Richard Adams is in AMPU, and he was a delegate at the Massachusetts Constitutional Convention. 

I also had ancestors in England, various parts of Germany (including Slavic Germans), and in what is now the Czech Republic (Bohemian and Moravian). My dad's side was completely in Europe. My mom's paternal side was completely in the US at this time. My mom's maternal side was about 75% in Europe and 25% in the US. So most of my DNA wasn't here. 

My earliest American was 1628 (to Salem, MA) and my last immigrants (the Czechs) arrived in 1907. 

My only "notable" "ancestor" as it would come to this game would require a really, really in-depth Judicial DLC.  I have an uncle on my mom's side (the Irish side) who was a long standing county judge in Missouri and only retired in 2014.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

WW2 still almost got us regardless.  My grandpa on that side was in the Navy, at Pearl Harbor, and overall during the war 4 of the 5 ships he was on were sunk with him aboard, including the only US aircraft carrier sunk by direct naval gunfire as opposed to aerial bombardment (talk about unlucky).

My direct ancestors got luck. No one was of age for Vietnam, WWII, WWI, Spanish-American War, Civil War. Last direct ancestor I have that fought in a war was in the War of 1812. Had a lot in Rev War. My great-grandfather was a major in WWI, but he held that rank only because he was the chief legal advisor for the Sec of War. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

My direct ancestors got luck. No one was of age for Vietnam, WWII, WWI, Spanish-American War, Civil War. Last direct ancestor I have that fought in a war was in the War of 1812. Had a lot in Rev War. My great-grandfather was a major in WWI, but he held that rank only because he was the chief legal advisor for the Sec of War. 

I suppose it's a matter of degrees, too, because while my family history has a lot of wild shenanigans (at least on my dad's side), nobody died, so there's that.  Grandpa did lose one of his middle fingers though because one time his ship was so close to the Japanese they were on deck firing small arms back and forth instead of the main guns, and a lucky shot hit him in the hand though.  I mean seriously, I don't want to go too far off topic, but my dad's side really is craaaaaaazy.  I have an uncle on that side of the family that was in the Marines during Vietnam as part of a "join the Marines or go to jail" deal.... because the rest of the family broke him out of juvenile prison but then they got caught...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

My only "notable" "ancestor" as it would come to this game would require a really, really in-depth Judicial DLC.  I have an uncle on my mom's side (the Irish side) who was a long standing county judge in Missouri and only retired in 2014.

I have five relatives in the game:

- the Richard Adams, I mention above. 

- Nathaniel P Banks, Civil War General and Speaker of the House, was married to my ancestor's sister. 

- George W Norris, progressive era US Senator, was the nephew of my ancestor (his mother was the sister of my ancestor). 

- My great-grandfather is in the game because he was chief legal advisor to the Sec of War in WWI, was secretary of the Ohio Progressive Republican Party, and failed in a bid for Congress (although I can't find the result, so maybe he dropped out. I found a newspaper announcing his run).

- My half-1st cousin (same grandfather) was Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign manager. I've never met him. His dad, my half-uncle, doesn't want anything to do with our family since his dad (my grandfather) abandoned him, his mom, and his brother, for my grandmother. 

I'm also like 2nd cousins many times removed from Franklin Pierce (common ancestor is his great-grandfather). I'm 3rd or 4th cousins with John Adams/JQ Adams. I'm also 5th cousins with Gov of MA Charlie Baker with the above mentioned Richard Adams as the common ancestor. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I have five relatives in the game:

- the Richard Adams, I mention above. 

- Nathaniel P Banks, Civil War General and Speaker of the House, was married to my ancestor's sister. 

- George W Norris, progressive era US Senator, was the nephew of my ancestor (his mother was the sister of my ancestor). 

- My great-grandfather is in the game because he was chief legal advisor to the Sec of War in WWI, was secretary of the Ohio Progressive Republican Party, and failed in a bid for Congress (although I can't find the result, so maybe he dropped out. I found a newspaper announcing his run).

- My half-1st cousin (same grandfather) was Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign manager. I've never met him. His dad, my half-uncle, doesn't want anything to do with our family since his dad (my grandfather) abandoned him, his mom, and his brother, for my grandmother. 

I'm also like 2nd cousins many times removed from Franklin Pierce (common ancestor is his great-grandfather). I'm 3rd or 4th cousins with John Adams/JQ Adams. I'm also 5th cousins with Gov of MA Charlie Baker with the above mentioned Richard Adams as the common ancestor. 

I've had ancestors in the Rev War, War of 1812, Civil War (a bunch on both sides), WW1, WW2, Vietnam, and the War on Terror.  I'm also related to Henry Clay by marriage.  Fun stuff!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

I've had ancestors in the Rev War, War of 1812, Civil War (a bunch on both sides), WW1, WW2, Vietnam, and the War on Terror.  I'm also related to Henry Clay by marriage.  Fun stuff!

Mine were on the wrong side of the Rev War, off in Canada for War of 1812 and Civil War.  I have a Great Great Uncle who died in the Argonne Forest during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive (WW1), a Great Grandfather I knew who was a naval gunner in the Pacific during World War II, a Great Uncle who served in Vietnam, my dad served in the Cold War and Desert Storm (got called up for deployment to Iraq...but then got cancelled because the war ended faster than anyone expected, ha).  I served during the War in Terror, including in Iraq, Korea, and Portugal.

Somehow we skipped the Korean War, to my knowledge.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Mine were on the wrong side of the Rev War, off in Canada for War of 1812 and Civil War.  I have a Great Great Uncle who died in the Argonne Forest during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive (WW1), a Great Grandfather I knew who was a naval gunner in the Pacific during World War II, a Great Uncle who served in Vietnam, my dad served in the Cold War and Desert Storm (got called up for deployment to Iraq...but then got cancelled because the war ended faster than anyone expected, ha).  I served during the War in Terror, including in Iraq, Korea, and Portugal.

Somehow we skipped the Korean War, to my knowledge.  

Yeah, we did. Didn't have any Korean War ancestors.

If I count siblings of ancestors, then I did have people in most wars. My grandfather's brother was temporary governor of US occupied Nuremberg because he was there before the appointed one arrived and the highest ranking administrative officer. I think it was for like a day or something. His official position was as senior translator and something else.