The Political Lounge

Forum Presidential Ranking: Diplomatic Accomplishments

vcczar

The 3rd category is "Diplomatic Accomplishments." It's up to you to determine what the name of this category means. However, I should note that I mean for this category to encompass foreign affairs outside of warfare, except for peace treatise involving war. I'll have a separate military category.  

Your votes will only count if you do all 12 of the rankings that I post. 

Copy+Paste the names of the president's below. If the president was better than average for "Diplomatic Accomplishments," then put an "*" by their name. If they were below average in this category, then put a # by their name. If they were approximately average, then don't mark them. 

Washington

J Adams

Jefferson

Madison

Monroe

JQ Adams

Jackson

Van Buren

WH Harrison

Tyler

Polk

Taylor

Fillmore

Pierce

Buchanan

Lincoln

A Johnson

Grant

Hayes

Garfield

Arthur

Cleveland

B Harrison

McKinley

T Roosevelt

Taft

Wilson

Harding

Coolidge

Hoover

FDR

Truman

Eisenhower

JFK

LBJ

Nixon

Ford

Carter

Reagan

Bush I

Clinton

Bush II

Obama

Trump

Biden

@Beetlejuice @Cal @Cenzonico @ConservativeElector2 @DakotaHale @Dobs @Edouard @Fbarbarossa @Hestia @jnewt @JohnGRobertsJr @Kitten @Magnus Rex @Mishfox @MrPotatoTed @Patine @pilight @Pringles @Rezi @Rodja @Sean F Kennedy @The Blood @Timur @vcczar @WVProgressive @Zenobiyl

48 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Washington *

J Adams *

Jefferson *

Madison *

Monroe *

JQ Adams

Jackson 

Van Buren #

WH Harrison

Tyler #

Polk 

Taylor #

Fillmore #

Pierce

Buchanan #

Lincoln *

A Johnson #

Grant *

Hayes

Garfield

Arthur #

Cleveland

B Harrison

McKinley  *

T Roosevelt *

Taft *

Wilson #

Harding

Coolidge *

Hoover

FDR *

Truman *

Eisenhower *

JFK *

LBJ

Nixon *

Ford *

Carter #

Reagan *

Bush I *

Clinton *

Bush II *

Obama *

Trump #

Biden

Washington *

J Adams *

Jefferson #

Madison #

Monroe *

JQ Adams *

Jackson 

Van Buren #

WH Harrison 

Tyler *

Polk *

Taylor 

Fillmore *

Pierce *

Buchanan #

Lincoln *

A Johnson *

Grant *

Hayes

Garfield

Arthur

Cleveland

B Harrison

McKinley

T Roosevelt *

Taft

Wilson *

Harding

Coolidge *

Hoover

FDR *

Truman *

Eisenhower #

JFK #

LBJ #

Nixon *

Ford *

Carter *

Reagan

Bush I *

Clinton *

Bush II #

Obama *

Trump #

Biden

Washington *

J Adams *

Jefferson *

Madison *

Monroe *

JQ Adams

Jackson

Van Buren

WH Harrison

Tyler #

Polk 

Taylor

Fillmore 

Pierce

Buchanan #

Lincoln

A Johnson

Grant

Hayes *

Garfield

Arthur

Cleveland

B Harrison

McKinley

T Roosevelt

Taft

Wilson #

Harding

Coolidge

Hoover

FDR

Truman #

Eisenhower 

JFK 

LBJ

Nixon

Ford

Carter # 

Reagan *

Bush I *

Clinton 

Bush II *

Obama #

Trump *

Biden #

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Much better U.S. Presidents visit and make alliances with Saudi Arabia and the other Gulf Monarchies to send and station endless troops to the Middle East and fight conflicts of, "blood for oil," for backward, theocratic, absolute monarchies, it would seem, as a sentiment. Do you condemn those, too, yourself, though? I don't believe I've asked for quite a while, so the question is genuine.

Making alliances with Saudi Arabia and Gulf Monarchies? Yes, condemned.

Sending troops to the middle east is a bit more of a grey area, depending on what we're talking about. If it's to protect Saudi or American oil interests, condemned. If it's to preserve the self-determination of the Kurds, Kuwaitis, or Israelis (examples) or to defend the human rights of Syrians, Iraqis, or Omanis (also examples), you are more likely to get my attention.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Patine said:

I really must ask - I really must, and this is not a personal attack, but a clarification of a bizarre choice that I imagine you'd have few, if any compatriots on - why does Trump, one of the most contentious, unpredictable, volatile, grating-to-deal-with, irresponsible, and blatantly disingenuous in dealing with other world leaders among U.S. Presidents since - oh, Andrew Jackson, at the very least - get positive marks for diplomatic achievements? Other than the visit to North Korea, he embarrassed the nation and lowered it's status and respect abroad immense, even turning it into a source of ridicule in many circles, his disastrous trade wars and border issues had almost entirely negative long-term consequences for the nation, and, even though, yes, he started no new wars, his several blatant and clumsy, "false flag," attempts and threats to other leaders that failed to generate any support made him fall flat utterly as a diplomat...

The North Korea stuff was in fact an embarrassment and lowers Trump's diplomatic legacy significantly... the better stuff was the Israel peace policy. With this one can have a different opinion but still acknowledge the good intention.

Other than that another + here was definitely ending the so-called Iran nuclear deal.

Washington*

J Adams#

Jefferson*

Madison*

Monroe*

JQ Adams

Jackson

Van Buren

WH Harrison

Tyler

Polk

Taylor

Fillmore

Pierce

Buchanan

Lincoln*

A Johnson

Grant

Hayes

Garfield

Arthur

Cleveland

B Harrison

McKinley

T Roosevelt*

Taft

Wilson#

Harding

Coolidge

Hoover

FDR*

Truman*

Eisenhower

JFK*

LBJ#

Nixon*

Ford

Carter#

Reagan*

Bush I*

Clinton

Bush II#

Obama

Trump#

Biden

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Israel peace process? You must have a funny idea about how, "peace," is actually accomplished, or, "peace processes," actually work. Unless an unconditional surrender, or at least suing for peace an armistice, after a definite, acknowledged defeat, has been made, a, "peace process," involves both sides yielding significantly for the sake of, "peace." I saw no meaningful yielding, or desire so to do, by Trump, or by Netanyahu. So don't give me this, "peace process," crap, please...

Yeah of course you're not satisfied with my response... small steps aren't worthy to be appreciated until we got the full result. Got it.

2 hours ago, Patine said:

Israel peace process? You must have a funny idea about how, "peace," is actually accomplished, or, "peace processes," actually work. Unless an unconditional surrender, or at least suing for peace an armistice, after a definite, acknowledged defeat, has been made, a, "peace process," involves both sides yielding significantly for the sake of, "peace." I saw no meaningful yielding, or desire so to do, by Trump, or by Netanyahu. So don't give me this, "peace process," crap, please...

Please respond to the purpose of this thread (fill it out) if you're going to respond to people's responses. 

Washington*

J Adams#

Jefferson*

Madison*

Monroe*

JQ Adams

Jackson

Van Buren

WH Harrison

Tyler

Polk*

Taylor

Fillmore

Pierce

Buchanan#

Lincoln*

A Johnson#

Grant*

Hayes*

Garfield

Arthur

Cleveland

B Harrison

McKinley*

T Roosevelt*

Taft

Wilson#

Harding

Coolidge

Hoover

FDR*

Truman*

Eisenhower*

JFK*

LBJ#

Nixon*

Ford

Carter

Reagan*

Bush I*

Clinton

Bush II

Obama*

Trump#

Biden* (So far Biden has put us back on track for diplomacy imo. Solidified our support as a nation for NATO, the UN. Rejoined the WHO, and the Paris Agreement. All things that surely are flawed, but the United States is better off in. In my opinion. Plus our actual allies actually like him... Prime Minister Johnson for example. Merkel. Etc.)

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

But then again, is there a single organization, foundation, social, political, or economic alliance or agreement, or even nation or other polity that isn't flawed somehow? I mean, he's not joining BRICS (which is something I wouldn't put above some rabid Trumpist talking heads to suggest the possibility of).

Well, I'm the one that said that these organizations are flawed... anything is "flawed." That's the nature of human affairs. Surely something you should be an expert in. And I wouldn't put it past Trump or some idiot to want to join BRICS. I can see Trump doing it though out of love for his 2nd best friend, Vladimir Putin. He might even invite Kim Jong Un... 😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Maybe Putin could even help patch up things up between Trump and Winnie the Pooh after they hurt each others' feelings over trade issues... 😛

Very true... 😳😛

18 hours ago, vcczar said:

The 3rd category is "Diplomatic Accomplishments." It's up to you to determine what the name of this category means. However, I should note that I mean for this category to encompass foreign affairs outside of warfare, except for peace treatise involving war. I'll have a separate military category.  

Your votes will only count if you do all 12 of the rankings that I post. 

Copy+Paste the names of the president's below. If the president was better than average for "Diplomatic Accomplishments," then put an "*" by their name. If they were below average in this category, then put a # by their name. If they were approximately average, then don't mark them. 

Washington*

J Adams

Jefferson#

Madison

Monroe

JQ Adams

Jackson#

Van Buren

WH Harrison

Tyler*

Polk

Taylor*