The Political Lounge

If you had to change one thing about humans, what would it be?

carbonmonoxide321

17 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Make every human be born with an IQ of more than 85 at least. 

I'd go higher than this...much higher. 

I picked selfishness, but maybe "willful ignorance" is what I really want to get rid of. 

On another note, I don't think using an IQ test in this regards is the best idea. It has some holes. There was a philosopher who registered a 60 IQ, or something like that. He'd bring it up in his classes all the time. I think a more versatile cognitive test would be best. Another drawback to the IQ test is that it certainly rewards those who have had greater access to the experiences one needs to do well on an IQ test. For instance, if someone was exposed to parents who lacked a lot of critical thinking skills, there's a higher chance that one might go into the test with the wrong kind of mindset, even if the child is naturally a critical thinker. One that gets preparation for such a test is also likely to do better at them. Some people shut down with IQ tests or any standardized test. 

I don't think I ever had an IQ test officially done on me. I think I was sick when they did them at my school. I at least don't remember taking it. I took several on the internet when I was in undergrad, but who knows how accurate those are. I remember scored 153 on one of them. 138 on another. Those might have been the only ones I took. That said, in regards to some things I feel like I have an 85 IQ but in others 153 seems possible. Some days I feel rather pedestrian, mentally speaking. Some days all the clocks in my head are striking at once and I feel like all knowledge, wisdom, and instinct I've ever had is with me at that moment.

I'd say something like an IQ would understand the concept of range. For instance, let's say the 138 and 153 are somehow accuracy and that's my range. I'm I smarter than someone who swings between 144 and 149? Or someone that is consistently 145, while I might swing wildly, mostly at the 138 range, but have moments of 153? Or perhaps you someone that is, in some areas of thinking, an equivalent to a 200+ IQ (considered unmeasurable), but in some areas is a 60 IQ. 

There's also intelligences that aren't measured in an IQ test but may be as valuable in intelligence -- emotional intelligence, for instance.  

• Agree 1

Give people total control over their reproduction. By that I mean that, for example, Women would be able to control, whether or not they were fertile, and then at a later point, if they so choose, they can reverse their decision, making themselves fertile/infertile. I think about this kind of thing a lot, since in my view it would more or less settle the abortion debate, or at least the majority of it by eliminating unwanted pregnancies as a thing that exists.

• Like 2

Just now, Patine said:

Out of curiosity, would this also include whether or not a man wished to have a chance of inseminating when engaging in intimacies?

Sure, I just brought up women since they're the ones who actually get pregnant, whereas a man's involvement in reproduction ends after about 5 minutes.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I picked selfishness, but maybe "willful ignorance" is what I really want to get rid of. 

On another note, I don't think using an IQ test in this regards is the best idea. It has some holes. There was a philosopher who registered a 60 IQ, or something like that. He'd bring it up in his classes all the time. I think a more versatile cognitive test would be best. Another drawback to the IQ test is that it certainly rewards those who have had greater access to the experiences one needs to do well on an IQ test. For instance, if someone was exposed to parents who lacked a lot of critical thinking skills, there's a higher chance that one might go into the test with the wrong kind of mindset, even if the child is naturally a critical thinker. One that gets preparation for such a test is also likely to do better at them. Some people shut down with IQ tests or any standardized test. 

I don't think I ever had an IQ test officially done on me. I think I was sick when they did them at my school. I at least don't remember taking it. I took several on the internet when I was in undergrad, but who knows how accurate those are. I remember scored 153 on one of them. 138 on another. Those might have been the only ones I took. That said, in regards to some things I feel like I have an 85 IQ but in others 153 seems possible. Some days I feel rather pedestrian, mentally speaking. Some days all the clocks in my head are striking at once and I feel like all knowledge, wisdom, and instinct I've ever had is with me at that moment.

I'd say something like an IQ would understand the concept of range. For instance, let's say the 138 and 153 are somehow accuracy and that's my range. I'm I smarter than someone who swings between 144 and 149? Or someone that is consistently 145, while I might swing wildly, mostly at the 138 range, but have moments of 153? Or perhaps you someone that is, in some areas of thinking, an equivalent to a 200+ IQ (considered unmeasurable), but in some areas is a 60 IQ. 

There's also intelligences that aren't measured in an IQ test but may be as valuable in intelligence -- emotional intelligence, for instance.  

I was just going by what's considered below the average. Not putting much thought into my answers here but sure. 

23 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I took several on the internet when I was in undergrad, but who knows how accurate those are. I remember scored 153 on one of them. 138 on another.

And yeah, I don't trust any of these IQ tests you can just take on the internet either. I treat it like astrology almost. It's all baloney. 

If I ever do feel like it I would want to go get a professional test done. 

• Agree 1

On 4/7/2022 at 7:14 PM, vcczar said:

To put this in comparison I scored 144 on an official IQ test and I would posit that @vcczar is a much more intelligent being than I logically and emotionally (I am known for being unable to detect sarcasm in conversation).

28 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

To put this in comparison I scored 144 on an official IQ test and I would posit that @vcczar is a much more intelligent being than I logically and emotionally (I am known for being unable to detect sarcasm in conversation).

I’m not great with detecting sarcasm either. I’m never sarcastic, so it might be because of that reason. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

All hail the mighty Vcczar. The all knowing supreme being. Jk jk. 😛

Nah but for real, not to insult you or anybody, I've said it before, I really think IQ tests are really unreliable. A scam. 😛 

Real intelligence is measured by ones actions. Aka sigma alpha chad kinda stuff. 😛 

• Agree 1
  • Based 2

6 hours ago, Pringles said:

Nah but for real, not to insult you or anybody, I've said it before, I really think IQ tests are really unreliable. A scam. 😛 

Real intelligence is measured by ones actions. Aka sigma alpha chad kinda stuff. 😛 

“People who boast about their IQ are losers.” - Stephen Hawking

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Based 1

Just now, Patine said:

I don't boast about mine, certainly. I only brought it up in a specific reference to a past conversation with @DakotaHale, to be honest. Although, Greek letters (unless Greek linguistics and literary achievements are what you are referring to - but here I refer to the way @Pringles and @DakotaHale use it) is pretty self-defeating. While canines/lupines (the only animals Greek letter gender behaviour actually applies to, with any accuracy) are quite intelligent for animals, the greatest usage of their cognitive capabilities are not used by THEM naturally, but by the herd (not pack) mentality tool-using, territorial primate humans, with our far greater cognitive abilities, and lack of restrictive behaviorial limits (like Greek letter gender roles, and such), who domesticate the canines to serve us instead. 😛 

I don't think anyone on the forum has boasted about theirs. It's just a general quote surrounding my general view on IQ tests.