The Political Lounge

AMPU Agriculture

@A man from Colorado @Arkansas Progressive @bradleyg223 @Cal @ConservativeElector2 @DakotaHale @Dobs @Hestia

@Ich_bin_Tyler @jvikings1 @Mark_W @matthewyoung123 @Murrman104 @MrPotatoTed @OrangeP47 @Pringles @Rezi @Rodja @SilentLiberty @ShortKing @themiddlepolitical @Timur @Vols21 @Willthescout7 @WVProgressive and anyone else interested. 

I was going to make a flow chart for this but it was so cluttery as to be less intuitive than what you see below. Forgive the bold, google docs transfer to the forum in all bold and the forum doesn't allow me to unbold it without losing all the bullet points. 

Anyway, this is everything agriculture. L is legis prop, G is Gov Action, S is Scripted Event. There's also the era abbreviations. 

I'm open to ideas for Agriculture legis prop, scripted events, gov actions, and pres actions. I especially need more agriculture specific things for the Era of the Future.  A good way to think of ideas is to think of every era of US history to see what should or could be there. I think the priority is Era of the Future and Pres actions.  I'll do more specific policies each day that I can. 

Agriculture 

If no Agriculture Legislation is Activ: 

All Agricultural Policies Left to the States (L-Ind-Default)

Agriculture Policies w/o Prereqs:

Ban Eating of Pork and other Intelligent Mammals (L-Pop)

Ban Eating Octopus and other Intelligent Aquatic Animals (L-Pop)

Subsidize Insect Protein Diet (L-Pop)

Ban Factory Farming (L-Pop)

Ban Cosmetic Animal Testing (L-Pop)

Ban Trophy Hunting (L-Pop)

Only Half of Americans Still Employed in Agriculture (S-Gild)

Old Farmer's Almanac Published (S-Fed)

Gail Borden Invents Evaporated Milk (S-Man)

Barbed Wire Invented (S-Nat)

RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company (S-Gild)

Subsidize Agriculture (G-Prog)

Agric Policies that are either/or but w/o Prereqs: 

[[ Ban Genetic Modified Crops (L-Fu)

or

Allow Unrestricted Genetic Modified Crops (L-Fu) ]]

Agric Policies with Prereqs: 

Preq: Industrial Revolution occurred (S-Fed–Not Agric Policy)

• Cotton Gin (S-Fed)

• (+ Slavery Legal) Cotton Replaced Tobacco as Chief Cash Crop (S-Fed)

• McCormick Reaper (S-Dem)

• Preq: John Deere Steel Plow (S-Dem)

• Modern Tractor Invented (S-Norm)

Preq: Create Independent Dept of Agriculture (L-Nat)

• Preq: Elevate Dept of Agric to Cabinet-level (L-Gild)

• Decrease funding for Dept of Agric (L-Gild)

• Either/or the below

• Increase funding for Dept of Agric (L-Gild)

• Temporary Emergency Farming Relief (L-Gild)

• Rural Electrification Act (L-Ide)

• Subsidize Selling and Raising Products on Farms (L-Ide)

• Tenant Farmer Act (L-Ide)

• Purchase Damaged Farm Land to Rehabilitate It (L-Ide)

• Agricultural Adjustment Act (L-Ide)

• Agricultural Risk Protection Act (L-Neo)

• Federal Farm Loan Act (L-Prog)

• Preq: Create Federal Farm Board (L-Norm) 

• Agricultural Marketing Act (L-Norm)

• Authority for Federal Farm Board to Purchase Surplus Crops (L-Norm)

Agric Policies with Non-Agric Prereqs: 

Any Anti-Monopoly legislation active (L-Prog - Not Agric Policy)

• Capper-Volstead Act (L-Norm)

Postal Department Active (L-Fed - Not Agric Policy)

• Rural Free Delivery Act (L-Prog)

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I'm open to ideas for Agriculture legis prop, scripted events, gov actions, and pres actions. I especially need more agriculture specific things for the Era of the Future.  A good way to think of ideas is to think of every era of US history to see what should or could be there. I think the priority is Era of the Future and Pres actions.  I'll do more specific policies each day that I can. 

One idea for an era of the future/modern day would be to require states to blend of ethanol in their gas. (Could be a gov action at the state level, and also could be a law that could be passed)

A second would be to compel gas companies to blend ethanol as well.

On the other end, you could have like what Trump did and give waivers to oil companies to not blend ethanol (would be a minus for the agriculture card player).

Ethanol right now is one of the biggest cash cows for agriculture, and I didn't see anything listed there that included it so I thought that introducing a few for it would be good.

Some other ideas could be something with rural broadband access, I know it's not exactly agriculture, but I saw the Rural Electrification Act was on there, so I figured I'd say something. 

Another big thing, particularly on college campuses and such, for era of the future, would be to ban pesticides on crops. (A second more low key action of that could be banning the use of pesticides within x miles of waterways) 

Not sure exactly how to include it, but free trade is important to farmers to gain higher prices. A trade war against China, like Trump did, would hurt agriculture. However, a more open market would help them. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hestia said:

One idea for an era of the future/modern day would be to require states to blend of ethanol in their gas. (Could be a gov action at the state level, and also could be a law that could be passed)

A second would be to compel gas companies to blend ethanol as well.

On the other end, you could have like what Trump did and give waivers to oil companies to not blend ethanol (would be a minus for the agriculture card player).

Ethanol right now is one of the biggest cash cows for agriculture, and I didn't see anything listed there that included it so I thought that introducing a few for it would be good.

Some other ideas could be something with rural broadband access, I know it's not exactly agriculture, but I saw the Rural Electrification Act was on there, so I figured I'd say something. 

Another big thing, particularly on college campuses and such, for era of the future, would be to ban pesticides on crops. (A second more low key action of that could be banning the use of pesticides within x miles of waterways) 

Not sure exactly how to include it, but free trade is important to farmers to gain higher prices. A trade war against China, like Trump did, would hurt agriculture. However, a more open market would help them. 

The ethanol ideas are good, but they might be categorized under Oil & Gas, rather than agriculture. The last things you mentions exist and they're other either trade or diplomacy. I like the rural broadband access idea and the ban on pesticides. 

• Like 1

• Pres Actions
    • Continue immediate burns policy for forest fires
    • Co-opt Native burning strategies to reduce major forest fires
    • Removing invasive species though a major pesticide/insecticide campaign
  • Legis Props
    • Subsidize inland fish farms
    • Invasive Species Acts
    • SNAP Benefits, WIC Benefits
      • Reduce
      • Increase
      • Repeal
    • Help African-American Farmers
    • Enable or Disable
      • Universal School Breakfast
      • Universal School Lunch
      • After-school Meals
  • Scripted events
    • Requires Agriculture Dept. is Cabinet, and the Director is CON or further right during the Era of the Neocons
      • Pigford v. Glickman
        • Settlement for 2 billion in damages via class-action lawsuit against the USDA's Farm
    • Same as Pigman I but Era is during Terror
      • Pigford v. Glickman II
        • Appropriate 1.2 billion in the (next term) Farm Bill
  • Thanks 1

LEGISLATION-

Era of Independence- FREEDOM ORDINANCE OF 1787

1850s-60's- HOMESTEAD ACT

1900's- NEWLANDS RECLIMATION ACT

1920's- Farm Relief Bills (Farm subsidies) or Modernize Farming through the Dept of Commerce & Agriculture

1930's- AAA (Agriculture Adjustment Act), Farm Security Administration, Resettlement Administration, Rural Electrification Administration, Create the Tennessee Valley Authority

JUDICIAL-

"In the mid-1870s, state "Granges" in the Midwest were successful in passing state laws that regulated the rates they could be charged by railroads and grain warehouses. The birth of the federal government's Cooperative Extension Service, Rural Free Delivery, and the Farm Credit System were largely due to Grange lobbying. The peak of their political power was marked by their success in Munn v. Illinois, which held that the grain warehouses were a "private utility in the public interest," and therefore could be regulated by public law (see references below, "The Granger Movement"). During the Progressive Era (1890s–1920s), political parties took up Grange causes. Consequently, local Granges focused more on community service, although the State and National Granges remain a political force."

EVENTS-

1840's random events-

- Potato Blight moves from Ireland to the US and damages potato crop in US- famine in the US.

- Famine is not as bad in Ireland as it was historically, reduces immigration.

- Famine is worse than historically, increases immigration.

Post Civil War Event-

Establishment of the Grange, an organization founded in 1867 for farmers and their wives that was strongest in the Northeast, and which promoted the modernization not only of farming practices but also of family and community life. It is still in operation.  Membership soared from 1873 (200,000) to 1875 (858,050) as many of the state and local granges adopted non-partisan political resolutions, especially regarding the regulation of railroad transportation costs. The organization was unusual in that it allowed women and teens as equal members.

1890's/1900 random events-

- Boll weevil comes from Mexico and impacts cotton crop in Texas. Reduction in income, increase in population dissatisfaction.  Should make it able to expand to neighboring cotton states every four years (If this appears in 1896, by 1900 it should hit Arkansas and Louisiana.  By 1904 it would be Mississippi and Tennessee.  By 1908, Alabama and Georgia.  1912 in Florida, SC.  1916 in NC and VA.  The weevil, historically, came to Texas in 1892 and got to Alabama in about 1909, infesting the whole south before 1920).  This leads to migration from Southern states to Northern and Western.

- Boll weevil comes late and isn't as bad as it was.  Failure of some of the cotton crop but fails to spread outside Texas.  "Great migration" event never happens.

- Boll weevil is catastrophic and moves fast, destroying entire cotton crops and spreading faster (neighboring states in 2 years instead of 4 above).  More people move from the South to the North and West.

- By 1950, event to use DDT to destroy boll weevil. (By 1960, that event no longer works as the weevil develops resistance to DDT.  Not until the 1980's was a successful program developed to handle the weevil problem.)

Incidentally, the Boll Weevil problem led to more diversification of the crop in the South and this is really when PEANUT farming took off.

- During WW1 & WW2 events for - Encourage citizens to plant VICTORY GARDNES

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, matthewyoung123 said:

LEGISLATION-

Era of Independence- FREEDOM ORDINANCE OF 1787

1850s-60's- HOMESTEAD ACT

1900's- NEWLANDS RECLIMATION ACT

1920's- Farm Relief Bills (Farm subsidies) or Modernize Farming through the Dept of Commerce & Agriculture

1930's- AAA (Agriculture Adjustment Act), Farm Security Administration, Resettlement Administration, Rural Electrification Administration, Create the Tennessee Valley Authority

JUDICIAL-

"In the mid-1870s, state "Granges" in the Midwest were successful in passing state laws that regulated the rates they could be charged by railroads and grain warehouses. The birth of the federal government's Cooperative Extension Service, Rural Free Delivery, and the Farm Credit System were largely due to Grange lobbying. The peak of their political power was marked by their success in Munn v. Illinois, which held that the grain warehouses were a "private utility in the public interest," and therefore could be regulated by public law (see references below, "The Granger Movement"). During the Progressive Era (1890s–1920s), political parties took up Grange causes. Consequently, local Granges focused more on community service, although the State and National Granges remain a political force."

EVENTS-

1840's random events-

- Potato Blight moves from Ireland to the US and damages potato crop in US- famine in the US.

- Famine is not as bad in Ireland as it was historically, reduces immigration.

- Famine is worse than historically, increases immigration.

Post Civil War Event-

Establishment of the Grange, an organization founded in 1867 for farmers and their wives that was strongest in the Northeast, and which promoted the modernization not only of farming practices but also of family and community life. It is still in operation.  Membership soared from 1873 (200,000) to 1875 (858,050) as many of the state and local granges adopted non-partisan political resolutions, especially regarding the regulation of railroad transportation costs. The organization was unusual in that it allowed women and teens as equal members.

1890's/1900 random events-

- Boll weevil comes from Mexico and impacts cotton crop in Texas. Reduction in income, increase in population dissatisfaction.  Should make it able to expand to neighboring cotton states every four years (If this appears in 1896, by 1900 it should hit Arkansas and Louisiana.  By 1904 it would be Mississippi and Tennessee.  By 1908, Alabama and Georgia.  1912 in Florida, SC.  1916 in NC and VA.  The weevil, historically, came to Texas in 1892 and got to Alabama in about 1909, infesting the whole south before 1920).  This leads to migration from Southern states to Northern and Western.

- Boll weevil comes late and isn't as bad as it was.  Failure of some of the cotton crop but fails to spread outside Texas.  "Great migration" event never happens.

- Boll weevil is catastrophic and moves fast, destroying entire cotton crops and spreading faster (neighboring states in 2 years instead of 4 above).  More people move from the South to the North and West.

- By 1950, event to use DDT to destroy boll weevil. (By 1960, that event no longer works as the weevil develops resistance to DDT.  Not until the 1980's was a successful program developed to handle the weevil problem.)

Incidentally, the Boll Weevil problem led to more diversification of the crop in the South and this is really when PEANUT farming took off.

- During WW1 & WW2 events for - Encourage citizens to plant VICTORY GARDNES

I got just about all of this, but I'll read it closer to see if I'm missing anything. Thanks! A lot of this is under other categories. 

• Like 1

Following establishment of the Dept of Agriculture:

Establishment of Foreign Agricultural Service in 1930 to coordinate food trade data and market statistics, later including food aid and Agricultural trade missions (first overseas employee in 1882, DC Statistical Office established in 1894)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1