The Political Lounge

AMPU Credit/Debt

vcczar

@A man from Colorado @Arkansas Progressive @bradleyg223 @Cal @ConservativeElector2 @DakotaHale @Dobs @Hestia

@Ich_bin_Tyler @jvikings1 @Mark_W @matthewyoung123 @Murrman104 @MrPotatoTed @OrangeP47 @Pringles @Rezi @Rodja @SilentLiberty @ShortKing @themiddlepolitical @Timur @Vols21 @Willthescout7 @WVProgressive and anyone else interested. 

This might be the smallest policy subtype. It might not need to be expanded, but I'm open to ideas. These laws or actions are specifically for dealing with the national debt, gaining credit, taking out loans, etc. If you have any ideas for Era of the Future, more legislation, more pres actions, then go for it. 

Note: I've gone through three subtypes today. I think that's my limit on these. I'll try to post three more tomorrow. 

Credit/Debt

No preq needed

Funding Act (L-Fed)

Require balanced budget except during major war or crisis (L-Prog)

No national credit/debt active

• No National Credit/Debt (L-Ind-Default)

National Debt Exists

• Abolish National Debt Policy (P-Fed)

Dutch Recognize US

• Secure Dutch Loan (L-Ind)

Preq: Funding Act

• Take Out Emergency Foreign Loan (P-Fed)

Not sure how doable this is, but selling off territory to pay down the debt? I was thinking especially in regards to how difficult vast swaths of territory are to hold if you go the expansionist route, selling it off after a while to pay down the debt might be a more savory option than losing it by other means. 

• Thanks 1

Not exactly "United States" debt, but you could technically classify some things like Lend-Lease under this.... it's giving credit to other nations....  I presume you have such events elsewhere, but if not, you could throw in a few minor event chains around the world wars about lending money to certain powers, etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Good question. Could be included. What ideas do you have?

I know South Korea has a law where upon the death of the parent, all of their debt devolves to their children. I don't know all of the details or exact wording, but this could be an interesting law to include for the era of the future. I would imagine it would impact quality of life somehow. Progressives would hate it while Big Business might support it? 

Just now, Willthescout7 said:

I know South Korea has a law where upon the death of the parent, all of their debt devolves to their children. I don't know all of the details or exact wording, but this could be an interesting law to include for the era of the future. I would imagine it would impact quality of life somehow. Progressives would hate it while Big Business might support it? 

I can't see any such law being feasible in Western society. That would be instant death for a political career and no party would support it. It's something I could see as a law early in the game that can be repealed later, but it's seems like something that would never have even remote support in the US. 

2 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

Not exactly "United States" debt, but you could technically classify some things like Lend-Lease under this.... it's giving credit to other nations....  I presume you have such events elsewhere, but if not, you could throw in a few minor event chains around the world wars about lending money to certain powers, etc.

Yeah, that's more under diplomacy

Just now, vcczar said:

I can't see any such law being feasible in Western society. That would be instant death for a political career and no party would support it. It's something I could see as a law early in the game that can be repealed later, but it's seems like something that would never have even remote support in the US. 

Your home state is the only home state in the union which requires children to support parents in old age (filial support laws).  Or rather, is the only one to enforce it.  4-5 others have it on the books but never ever take it to court.  Similar, but different.

• Thanks 1