The Political Lounge

AMPU Space

vcczar

@A man from Colorado @Arkansas Progressive @bradleyg223 @Cal @ConservativeElector2 @DakotaHale @Dobs @Hestia

@Ich_bin_Tyler @jvikings1 @Mark_W @matthewyoung123 @Murrman104 @MrPotatoTed @OrangeP47 @Pringles @Rezi @Rodja @SilentLiberty @ShortKing @themiddlepolitical @Timur @Vols21 @Willthescout7 @WVProgressive and anyone else interested. 

Major area of need here is probably things that Conservatives, Traditionalists, Theocratic, and RW Populists would like that isn't a repeal of any of these. 

Space

Legis Actions:

• No federal legislation regarding outer space

• Perm manned presence on the Moon

• Perm manned presence on Mars

• Subsidize flight to Mars

• Subsidize mining in outer space

• Colonize the Moon

• Colonize Mars

• Require US authorization to travel between territories in space

• Land grant to encourage space colonization

• Manned mission to Mars

• Fund colonization to space

• Apply all US federal laws to US territory in space

• Subsidize Mars Colony

• Subsidize Moon Colony

• NASA

• Subsidize NASA

• Decrease funding to NASA

• Increase funding to NASA

Pres Actions: 

• Create Space-related sub-dept under each Fed Dept.

• Call for colonization of space

• Call for mission to mars

• Call for mission to the moon

Gov Actions:

• n/a

7 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@A man from Colorado @Arkansas Progressive @bradleyg223 @Cal @ConservativeElector2 @DakotaHale @Dobs @Hestia

@Ich_bin_Tyler @jvikings1 @Mark_W @matthewyoung123 @Murrman104 @MrPotatoTed @OrangeP47 @Pringles @Rezi @Rodja @SilentLiberty @ShortKing @themiddlepolitical @Timur @Vols21 @Willthescout7 @WVProgressive and anyone else interested. 

Major area of need here is probably things that Conservatives, Traditionalists, Theocratic, and RW Populists would like that isn't a repeal of any of these. 

Space

Legis Actions:

• No federal legislation regarding outer space

• Perm manned presence on the Moon

• Perm manned presence on Mars

• Subsidize flight to Mars

• Subsidize mining in outer space

• Colonize the Moon

• Colonize Mars

• Require US authorization to travel between territories in space

• Land grant to encourage space colonization

• Manned mission to Mars

• Fund colonization to space

• Apply all US federal laws to US territory in space

• Subsidize Mars Colony

• Subsidize Moon Colony

• NASA

• Subsidize NASA

• Decrease funding to NASA

• Increase funding to NASA

Pres Actions: 

• Create Space-related sub-dept under each Fed Dept.

• Call for colonization of space

• Call for mission to mars

• Call for mission to the moon

Gov Actions:

• n/a

Gov: Propose to be official NASA launch site state (Currently FL) Require leadership, and science or tech interest for governor. (Can default to Florida)

@vcczar

Edited by themiddlepolitical
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

Gov: Propose to be official NASA launch site state (Currently FL) Require leadership, and science or tech interest for governor. (Can default to Florida)

Should probably be limited to extreme Southern states, or acquisitions closer to the equator.  There's a reason it's Florida.  The closer you are to the equator, the cheaper it is to launch to space.  If we launched from Maine, it'd be hella expensive.  There's a reason EU's launch site is in French Guyana too.

That said, even though I said check my previous suggestions, I'd like to restate on here:  Build Space elevator - Requires Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, or good relations with those countries. (must be placed exactly on the equator, though more than likely, on a floating platform in the ocean.  Could tie in with sea colonies)

Edited by OrangeP47
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OrangeP47 said:

Should probably be limited to extreme Southern states, or acquisitions closer to the equator.  There's a reason it's Florida.  The closer you are to the equator, the more expensive it is to launch to space.  If we launched from Maine, it'd be hella expensive.  There's a reason EU's launch site is in French Guyana too.

That said, even though I said check my previous suggestions, I'd like to restate on here:  Build Space elevator - Requires Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, or good relations with those countries. (must be placed exactly on the equator, though more than likely, on a floating platform in the ocean.  Could tie in with sea colonies)

@vcczar You can make it easier for deep south state gov’s to have a successful action, and harder for it to happen everywhere else to be completed. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, themiddlepolitical said:

@vcczar You can make it easier for deep south state gov’s to have a successful action, and harder for it to happen everywhere else to be completed. 

There's also some military space launch sites in Southern CA and NV. Vandenberg AFB near Lompoc mostly.

• Thanks 1

Elevate NASA to a Cabinet Level Department. It would be like how we elevated the Veterans Administration to be the Department of Veterans Affairs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Create some kind of Space Market or Space Stock Exchange that would be the "WTC" so to speak of Space. Represents the markets on say Mars or other colonies, etc. 

Government sponsored Space Hotels would be a way for the government to make some $ of citizens who want to go maybe 😛 

Space Hotel Tax. 😛 

• Thanks 1

Privatizing space would be an interesting option, with either fake generated companies or real ones such as SpaceX.

Also in relation to space colonization, there would probably be interesting questions such as "Can this space colony vote?". So bills or court cases relating to citizenship of colonies in Space would be another question. 

There is a scientific (and generally large) boundary against space colonization, with people potentially being born in space would never realistically be able to actually go on to Earth (because of their bodies being made/shaped by lower-gravitational force), so proxy voting for potential representatives, if such a space colony did become reality, would be a must.

Also there is the issue of the "Moon Treaty". The United States legally cannot claim territory or make a state with any celestial bodies, as such bodies are international entities legally speaking. (So this may also apply to the Future Court Cases Thread/Future Executive Action to withdraw from the treaty)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create Space Force

fund the Space Shuttle Program

Subsidize Space Station

Create method to destroy satellites of enemy countries (and likewise protect ours)

to tag an earlier proposal: Gov action to open Astronaut Training Facilities in their state.   Could also vie for Mission Control (Houston).   First successful Gov action gets the funding?

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2022 at 3:24 AM, IloveHistory48599022 said:

Privatizing space would be an interesting option, with either fake generated companies or real ones such as SpaceX.

This is important. I also want to expand on that by having it go the otherwise: Nationalizing the private space sector.

Also stuff about legislating and funding the fight against orbital debris, which is gonna be an issue in this century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_debris

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I am sorry if I brought this thread “back from the dead” but I wanted to suggest a feature where if NASA is defunded, governors can call for their own space agency from their specific state. When we have enough neighboring states that have their own space agency, they can merge their agency into one. For example their could be a northern and southern space agency.

(On a side note, we could have a Supreme Court case determining the constitutionality of individual state’s space agency but that’s for another thread)

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 7:15 PM, OrangeP47 said:

Should probably be limited to extreme Southern states, or acquisitions closer to the equator.  There's a reason it's Florida.  The closer you are to the equator, the cheaper it is to launch to space.  If we launched from Maine, it'd be hella expensive.  There's a reason EU's launch site is in French Guyana too.

We launch a lot of Satellites from California too.  I think the main need is probably to be close to an ocean, so that when things go wrong, you have somewhere to crash land that isn't a preschool.

3 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

We launch a lot of Satellites from California too.  I think the main need is probably to be close to an ocean, so that when things go wrong, you have somewhere to crash land that isn't a preschool.

If we're necroposting, see my post from April 14 where I mention Vandenberg in CA for exactly that reason too 😉

• Like 1