Executive Action Items

Vietnam Assistance Mentorship Act

Postal Reorganization Act 

New Federalism Act

Peaceful Atom Power Act
Airline Safety Protection Act

Police Defense Act

New Legislative Proposals (Senate)

Emergency Health Professions Educational Assistance Act (8): The new bill, sponsored by Sen. Jacob Javits (R-NY) is a relative hit on Capitol Hill. It’s not a massive new entitlement spending but it’s also enough to make liberals consider it a worthwhile effort.

New Legislative Proposals (House)

Censure of Pete McCloskey (4): McCloskey is an unpopular guy but some back away from the thought of a full-blown censure. Still, McCloskey doesn’t help himself as he incurs even more disciplinary infractions.

Senate Votes

American Wildlife Act: 50-50 tie.

Vice President Agnew has made history as the first Senate President to vote Present and refuse to break a tie, a decision roundly condemned as abdicating one of the few affirmative duties of his job and cowardly for refusing to take a position on the controversial legislation. 

Nevertheless, the American Wildlife Act fails 50-50.

The Environmental Education Act has the Senate divided. The conservative coalition seems intent on stopping it while liberals will attempt to pick off enough moderate Republicans to save the legislation. It is more likely to fail than not but the votes will decide its final fate.

The Environmental Education Act fails 45-55.

(Sparkman, Wallace, Stevens, Rasmuson, Fannin, Goldwater, McClellan, Fulbright, Yorty, Kuchel, Vanderhoof, Dominick, Roth, Smathers, Bryant, Russell, Talmadge, Fong, Jordan (ID), Hansen (ID), Landgrebe, Miller, Grassley, Pearson, Dole, Cooper, Stubblefield, Long, Ellender, Stennis, Eastland, Curtis (MO), Hruska, Curtis (NE), Laxalt, McIntyre, Cotton, Jordan (NC), Ervin, Young, Lausche, Thurmond, Hollings, Mundt, Evins, Connally, Tower, Bennett, Weilenmann, Gray, Spong, Byrd, Randolph, Thompson, and Hansen (WY))

Just as in the House, the VAMA is not a controversial piece of legislation and is largely a companion bill for the VRWA. It is unlikely any member will object to the passing.

The Vietnam Assistance Mentorship Act passes by acclamation.

The Postal Reorganization Act is yet another bipartisan and universally supported piece of legislation which should zoom through the Senate.

The Postal Reorganization Act passes by acclamation.

The New Federalism Act hits the Senate with the renewed support of moderates but redoubled opposition from liberals. The question is now this: Will Liberal Senators from both parties be able to sustain the filibuster which Sen. Bill Cohen (R-ME) has begun against the bill. The vote on cloture will be close but decisive. 

The motion for cloture passes 73-27.

(Irwin, May, Inouye, Percy, Anderson (IL), Bayh, Cooper, Cohen, Smith, Mathias, Kennedy (MA), Brooke, Romney, Humphrey, Mondale, Metcalf, Fenwick, Case, Kennedy (NY), Javits, Harris, Hatfield, Schweikert, Pell, Stafford, Aiken, and Magnusson)

The New Federalism Act passes 75-25.

(May, Inouye, Percy, Anderson (IL), Bayh, Cooper, Cohen, Smith, Mathias, Kennedy (MA), Brooke, Humphrey, Mondale, Metcalf, Fenwick, Case, Kennedy (NY), Javits, Harris, Hatfield, Schweikert, Pell, Stafford, Aiken, and Magnusson)

House Votes

The FBI Accountability Act has been tabled. It may be revisited at any date until it expires at the end of the 92nd Congress.

The Peaceful Atom Act is once again set to pass rather easily. However, there are a number of members of Congress whose states fossil fuel industries stand to be harmed if even just a small amount. As a result, despite widespread ideological support, there will be a few objectors.

The Peaceful Atom Power Act passes 353-78

(Salty Oil Dawgs)

The Airline Safety Protection Act is only opposed by the conservative coalition with moderates in general support. 

The Airline Safety Protection Act passes 216-215.

(Paleos, Cons, 36/91 GOPMods, 15/62 DemMods)

The Police Defense Act is broadly supported save for the liberals. However, just like in the Senate, when Pete McCloskey attempts to filibuster he has to be forcibly removed from the House floor given that the House rules do not allow for filibusters so all McCloskey was doing was acting out of order and refusing to surrender the floor when his time expired. 

The Police Defense Act passes 319-112.

(Progs and Libs)

Senate Action Items

Emergency Health Professions Educational Assistance Act

House Action Items

Censure of Pete McCloskey

Supreme Court Action Items

Reed v. Reed - Can administrators of estates be named in ways that discriminates based on sex?

General Headlines

• Massive Prison Revolt in Attica, New York as National Guard are called
  • The Baltimore Orioles beat the Pittsburgh Pirates 4-3 to win their second consecutive World Series
  • Cardinal József Mindszenty, who has taken refuge in the American embassy in Budapest since 1956 is allowed to leave Hungary
  • Emperor Hirohito of Japan travels abroad, meeting with, among others, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor
  • Walt Disney World opens in Orlando, Florida

Supreme Court unanimously rejects Thurmond Appeal

Thurmond v. New York Times

The United States Supreme Court has issued a kurt rebuke to Sen. Strom Thurmond (R-SC) and his New York-based attorney Roy Cohn. Following a unanimous defeat at the hands of the District Court for Southern New York, Thurmond’s appeal was unanimously rejected by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals and now rather unceremoniously denied consideration by the Supreme Court.

The Court noted that there was no disagreement whatsoever between a single judge sitting on the lower courts and that each court had appropriately noted Supreme Court precedent set in Sullivan v. New York Times (1964). The decision of the lower court will stand and the embarrassing defeat serves to draw more attention to the scandal currently enveloping the South Carolina Republican.

Rep. Pete McCloskey (R, CA-11) responsible for Thurmond leak

(12/20)

Sources close to NBC have confirmed that the source of the leak regarding an illegitimate black child fathered by Senator Strom Thurmond was none other than progressivel firebrand and Republican noisemaker Pete McCloskey of California. The news does not come as a surprise to many as McCloskey has long waged a battle against Republicans like Thurmond, wanting to bring his party to the left. The scandal which McCloskey divulged to the press and ensuing lawsuits and defeats in court dealt to Thurmond have seriously damaged, if not doomed, his career. 

However, McCloskey now also finds himself in increasingly scalding waters. Following several antics in the past few months which the California Republican broke numerous rules of both Houses of Congress and now with an enraged conservative activist contingent motivated against McCloskey, the Congressman has a hostile environment to navigate in the coming months. 

Election Updates

Liberal Republican Draft (5) - Pace, Meyer, Carroll, Harris, and Meyer are called up.

IN-2 Special Primary: Harriet Bailey Conn (R) vs. Floyd Kithian (D)

IL-23 Special Election

112,452 votes

George E. Shipley (D) - 71,744 votes (63.8%)

Edward H. Jenison (R) - 40,708 votes (36.2%)

The Shipley campaign (10!) was ready go to from Day 1. As soon as Schlafly announced she was accepting Nixon’s offer, the former Congressman began maneuvers to convert his 1972 challenge into a 1971 special election campaign. Meanwhile, the Jenison campaign (1!) was beset with dozens of errors and missteps as Republicans had not failed to hold a special election seat in years given the positive environment. Alas, unfortunately for Jenison, the national environment is now indeed changing and this seat was ripe for a D Gain.

President Nixon makes Historic trip to China; meets with icy reception

(21/100)

President Richard Nixon has become the first President to step foot in Communist China. Coming hot off of a victory in the Vietnam War, the President came ready to play ball with the Chinese, led by Premier Zhou Enlai. Unfortunately, for the President, it appears that they were not. 

Nixon’s saving grace, the thing which avoided total disaster, was that the trip started off very well. Nixon presented himself as an able leader obviously respected by the Chinese government and people. There was not a hint of vomitorious behavior at the sushi bar and the Chinese Legislature listened intently to Nixon’s address.

It was when the President and Premier sat down for negotiations that everything seemed to fall apart. Enlai immediately demurred signing an Arms Limitation treaty and requested the issue be returned too after further negotiations, suggesting the US had to be willing to give up more. Enlai perceives Nixon’s offer of taking the remainder of North Vietnam was pure flattering, knowing that it’s entirely unrealistic and the Soviet Union would never agree to such a thing. Indeed, when word gets back to Brezhnev that such a proposal had been made the enraged Russian was said to nearly knock over his desk in a rage, representing an ever further deteriorated Russo-American relationship.

Enlai then told Nixon that the only way that China would ever considering joining the United Nations would be if the “pretender government in Taipei” were kicked out and if the Vietnamese stopped their invasion of Cambodia and recognized the Khmer Rouge as the government of Cambodia and the rightful claimant of the Cambodian seat in the UN.

Finally, Nixon was informed rather sternly that no open trade with the United States would ever be tolerated so long as the Glorious Chairman Mao lives. 

Following the obstinance of the Chinese, sources in the American media begin to understand that the Chinese are willing to give up very little and have only become interested in getting Nixon to the Chinese mainland for a press op and getting pictures taken. The optics currently are that the leader of the free world has come to China and is likely leaving empty-handed. Nixon’s approval rating has taken a slight dive at home as news of stalling talks in China reaches American TV sets. Many on the right have had their suspicions confirmed that detente was the wrong policy and that the Cold War should be fought with vigor against all Communists while those in the left and center remain relatively supportive of the President’s efforts with moderates in the beginning stages of losing confidence.

Nixon Approval Rating

Approve - 57% (-4)

Disapprove - 35% (+3)

No Opinion/Neutral - 8% (+1)

---

Up Next: Governing to January 1st, 1972

Ironically, I think this format will also take some getting used to again, I mainly miss my handy dividers. Alright, there is going to be another governing turn to finish 1971 and then we're into 1972. Once I do the beginning of year rolls, there will probably be one final mini-turn to process anything I need to process before we start the election. I will try to have a primary calendar to y'all by that mini-turn. The Presidential Election of 1972 will begin in February 1972 one way or another with New Hampshire scheduled to be March 7th and then any number of other primaries. I will determine how successful the push for primaries has been and we'll go from there. Also, these primaries will be shorter than those for 1968 and resemble how we do normal elections once we get passed, say, New Hampshire. More information on that to come! I look forward to many great days of Doblet RP on our new home and I am glad to say the first turn is now officially up. And so for the first time on this forum but certainly not the last: May the dice be ever in your flava and happy flavamaking!

@Pringles @Zenobiyl @ConservativeElector2 @WVProgressive @Hestia @The Blood @Cal @Sean F Kennedy @Fbarbarossa

• Like 4

Stuart Symington, Democratic Senator for Missouri, at a College News...  News Photo - Getty Images

Senator Stuart Symington announces campaign for Presidency!

Kansas City, Missouri

November 2nd, 1971

Senator Stuart Symington, Democrat of Missouri, has announced his bid for the presidency at a ritzy Kansas City hotel in his native Missouri. Many expected he would announce a bid that night, but few knew what to expect as he took the stage or what he would decide to highlight as his opening remarks.

"Good evening Missouri." Symington waves to the crowd as they finish applauding. "It has been an honor of a lifetime to serve as your United States Senator for 18 years now. I go to work every day knowing that I will do my best for the people of this great state. It's that which keeps me going day by day. Our nation is in crisis. We have problems mounting in the horizon, but I know that the United States of America can solve any problem put before it. We just need to set out minds to it and have capable and competent leadership."

"That is why, today, I am announcing my campaign for President and the Democratic nomination. Because I believe, as many of you do, that we are stronger when we stand together rather than when we stand apart. Missouri has time and time again rejected the division and hateful rhetoric that plagues this nation. It is time that our country joins us in this new dawn. I have worked tirelessly upon your behalf the last few years. I led in the Army-McCarthy hearings. I led the passage of this farm bill that was passed in 1969. I led the passage of the Occupational Health and Safety Act this year, which after campaigning in the midterm cycle on it, led to passage in both houses, and signed by President Nixon himself."

"There has been another that has declared his candidacy before myself. He opposed the OSHA Act that we worked so hard to provide workers. He says that he stands with the workers, then leaves them out to dry in their hour of need. Senator Symington did not. President Symington will not. I will work tirelessly on the behalf of the nation's workers, ranchers, and farmers, as I have in the Senate. It is important to lead by example. I would like to think that I have done so."

"Where Senator Wallace fails on domestic policy, President Nixon fails on foreign affairs. He won us Vietnam, but lost us the world." The crowd hushes as the senator speaks. "If Nixon cannot get Paris to join us, how can we expect to get Belgrade or even Moscow to work with us? President Nixon just wrapped up a visit to China. Now, I understand the trepidation of working with Red China. But I believe in this instance, you need to work with diplomacy and nuance. President Nixon had neither. George Wallace has neither. Luckily, I have both." He chuckles with the crowd.

"We can work with China and get a foot in the door with trade. But due to Nixon's braggadocious and pompous manner, he left Beijing with nothing secured for the American people. I will not leave anywhere empty handed, I will promise you that. I have worked in the minority in the United States Senate and still passed the Occupational Health and Safety Act. I don't give up when things get hard. We persevere! We're America, God Bless it!" He gives one final wave to the crowd and exits to chants of "Stuart" and "Symington". 

• Like 1

Progressive Republican Events

Proposal: Rather than propose a bill, Progressive Republicans propose something even sexier: intra party primary reform. The reformists, headed by freshman senator Charles Mathias (Upon the request of Jacob Javits) propose to the powerful people in the RNC, a change in how the Vice Presidential nominee is decided. Under the new reforms, rather than the VP nominee being decided by the Presidential nominee, the Presidential nominee would give the convention a list of five acceptable vice presidential nominees, who would then be voted on by the convention. The VP nominees would have a 24 hour period to campaign amongst the delegates, and sway them to their side, afterwhich the delegates would vote, and the winner would be allowed to give the normal VP Nominee speech.

Internal Party Event: Jacob Javits starts making more strides for the spotlight, giving more interviews, talking more about national issues, and even campaigning for local Republicans in New England, and the Mid-Atlantic. Some say this is Javits preparing for a future Presidential run, or, even stranger, a vice-presidential run, though Javits has remained coy, neither admitting, nor denying any plans to run for higher office. One of the senator's most notable recent actions, however, is his trip to Israel, where he spoke in favor of Golda Meir, and also in favor of a brokered peace deal, that would see a One-State, Two Peoples solution to the current kerfuffle in the Levant.

Poll Request: Javits commissions two polls, both asking registered voters which ticket they'd be more likely to support in a general election, with no option for being undecided. The first presents a Nixon/Agnew Republican ticket running against a Symington/Muskie Democratic ticket, with a Harrington/Abzug Progressive ticket. The second leaves the Dem, and Prog tickets the same, but changes the Republican ticket to a Nixon/Javits one.

Senate Action Items

Emergency Health Professions Educational Assistance Act (Aye, and whip for it hard)

House Action Items

Censure of Pete McCloskey (Conscience. What McCloskey did was wrong, but it also feels wrong to turn ones back on an ideological ally, so every progressive house rep is allowed to vote however they please.)

4 hours ago, Dobs said:

Senate Action Items

House Action Items

Senate Item:

Emergency Health Professions Educational Assistance Act: Conscience, but lean aye overall

House Item:

Censure of Pete McCloskey: Whip Udall informs all members to vote their conscience, but is going to vote aye himself, and receives that he will likely be backed by a number of House Democrats

Proposal Item:

Democrats meet in a large meeting headed by Sen. Quentin Burdick (D-ND), which is set to unveil a large, sweeping bill on Native Americans and their rights in the United States. Burdick and Sen. Clinton Anderson (D-NM) unveil the Native American Protection Act (NAPA) which details a bill to provide for the disposal of certain excess and surplus Federal property to the Secretary of the Interior for the benefit of any group, band, or tribe of Natives, as well as an Act to provide maximum Native participation in the government and education of the Native people; to provide for the full participation of Native tribes in programs and services conducted by the Federal Government for Natives and to encourage the development of rights. Burdick and Anderson hope to shore up Native support for Democrats. 

Political Action:

Senator Symington will tour communities in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York (all along Erie area) to boost support for his campaign and to get his name recognition up in some areas that he isn't as familiarized with as of yet. He speaks with voters and does a few events in each location before setting off for the next area.

Poll Request:

Sen. Symington favorability 

• Like 1

Executive Actions

1. President Nixon would be enraged that the Chinese started stonewalling him once more. He'd be doomed if he didn't respond with action. And that he shall.

President Nixon orders additional military aid to be sent to Taiwan, furthering American presence in the region and providing additional military equipment to Taiwan.

2. President Nixon would announce similar additional aid to South Vietnam. Telling Thieu to be 'on alert.' Mostly as a display of strength against the Chinese.

3. With the Chinese rejecting Nixon's fair offer of open-trade, he instructs U.N. Ambassador George Herbert Walker Bush to introduce a resolution that would impose sanctions on all Communist nations. With the bulk of the sanctions focused on the Soviet Union, and China. 

Bill Signings

President Nixon signs all bills into law. 

Senate Action Items

Emergency Health Professions Educational Assistance Act: Speaker Ford generally supports the bill and will be voting Aye. He tells other Representatives to vote however they wish. 

House Action Items

Censure of Pete McCloskey: Speaker Ford, Majority Leader May, and Whip Arends are all Ayes. Citing multiple accounts of misconduct on Pete McCloskey, breaching of House rules, and 'vicious conduct' against a member of the Senate. Ford says, "I've never wanted to have to do something like this, but unfortunately, it must be done. Mr. McCloskey I'm sure has honorable intentions, however, when that inflicts upon the personal life of a Senator, and when Mr. McCloskey shows no regard for the rules of the House, nor Senate which he is not a part of, it is time to take a form of disciplinary action."

Poll Request:

The Committee to Re-elect the President would perform 2 nationwide polls. One on the favorability of Vice President Agnew. And another poll on "Do Republicans want to see a different Vice Presidential Nominee in the 1972 Convention?" With answers being "Yes, No, and unimportant/don't care."

Edited by Pringles
  • Like 2

[First post on the new forum yay]

Liberal Republican Events

House:

Censure of Pete McCloskey: Conscience vote, but majority AYE. Ethics chair Robert. H Steele writes to the house recommending censure on the basis of disorderly conduct and breach of decorum. Numerous prominent liberal republicans emphasize that while McCloskey’s actions regarding Thurmond were protected by the 1st amendment, a distinction unanimously supported by the Supreme Court, his breach of house and senate rules were unbecoming of a congressman and must be met with punitive action.

[Majority of GOPLib votes for censure. All GOPLib in California vote against censure or abstain.]

(Meta: It’s funny to me that I’m now voting to censure a guy who was in my faction until recently, but I guess that’s how RP goes sometimes.)

Senate:

Emergency Health Professions Educational Assistance Act: AYE.

Proposal:

Rather than propose legislation Liberal Republicans devote their efforts to drafting even more candidates for the upcoming elections.

[in order of priority top to bottom]

Jean K. Bain (CO)

Alenzo Harris (IN)

Aris T. Allen (MD)

Laird Stabler Jr. (DE)

Thomas A. Swayze Jr. (WA)

Herbert Greene Jr. (TX)

Frank Pasquerilla (PA)

Thatcher Longstreth (PA)

John D. Barrus (MA)

Ronald C. MacKenzie (MA)

Internal Events:

Liberal Republicans spend the next few months campaigning in New York, in the hopes of building up a strong presence for 1972. Nelson Rockefeller leads the organization, with support from house members, city council members, and local mayors and officials. Special effort is made to win over democrats put off by the rightward shift of their party, in the hopes of bringing “Rockefeller Democrats” into the GOP.

Conservative Republican response:

Senate Action Items

Emergency Health Professions Educational Assistance Act - Goldwater tells his faction to vote their conscience but generally agrees with the act intentions.

House Action Items

Censure of Pete McCloskey - Conservative Republicans support it due to McCloskeys misconduct.

Party event

190731-richard-nixon-ronald-reagan-cs-11

N-RRonald Reagan called African U.N. delegates 'monkeys' in call with Richard  Nixon, audio recording reveals

California Governor Ronald Reagan goes on a tour through California in support of Richard Nixon. The most heard soundbite: ''President Nixon tried to get detente with China, but now we must pursue peace through strength and defend American ideals. America is the greatest nation on Earth and we are committed to defend this status by all means. Not just here in California but in all of America.''

On 4/7/2021 at 2:03 PM, Dobs said:

Senate Action Items

House Action Items

Senate Action Items:
Emergency Health Professions Education Assistance Act: Nay, this is a useless act throwing away money just for the sake of spending. We need to find ways to limit the size and power of the Federal government, not ways to expand its operations, no matter how minimal.

House Action Items:

Censure of Pete McCloskey: Strong yea. Pete's erratic behavior has put shame onto the name of the House, and there will be active organization from Bennett and other DemCon leaders to ensure that the censure passes. 

Legislative Proposal:

Elizabeth Andrews(D-AL-3) will propose the "Cannabis Sentencing Reform Act", which will raise the minimum sentence for cannabis possession from 2 to 3 years, and will increase the maximum fine to $30,000.

Internal Events:

A Trip To New Hampshire: Wallace will make an unusual trip to New Hampshire, touring the state as he welcomes Stuart Symington to the Presidential race, stating, "I listened in on Stuart's little announcement, and might I say that its my hope his skills in the English language improve, as standing up for the American worker doesn't mean supporting legislation which invites the Federal government to invade and control his life via an army of bureaucrats and regulation." During the trip, Wallace will take the time to celebrate the passage of the Police Defense Act, declaring that its passage marks, "A definitive victory for America's families, communities, and law enforcement."

The First Ads Of The Primary Campaign: The Wallace campaign will launch the first TV ad buy of the Democratic Primary race, running a new ad in Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania declaring that as President, "George Wallace will bring America's communities back from the brink of destruction as law and order is restored, drugs and crime are cracked down on, and as the brave law enforcement of this nation are venerated, protected, and strengthened."

Poll Request: Three-Way New Hampshire Presidential Primary between George Wallace, Hubert Humphrey, and Stuart Symington.

Edited by The Blood

Senate Action Items

Emergency Health Professions Educational Assistance Act: Aye

House Action Items

Censure of Pete McCloskey: Conscious

Internal Liberal Democratic Events

Jk. Nothing here this turn, but big things are continuing next turn with a campaign announcement from a prominent Liberal in the Senate 😉

NBC Nightly News - January 2nd, 1972

White House

Taiwanese Aid (8): The Taiwanese government is extremely grateful for the aid tendered by the Nixon administration. They are particularly grateful in the wake of the possibility of losing their seat not just on the Security Council, but in the UN. 

Vietnamese Aid (1!): Thieu, finally getting the aid he’s asked for, takes the military aid in gusto and charges headlong into a redoubling of force in Cambodia. Unfortunately for Thieu, this results in the Chinese responding in kind and pushing the Vietnamese forces back. The Chinese government officially announces its support for the Khmer Rouge as the legitimate government of Cambodia and gives the Vietnamese an ultimatum: leave Cambodia or prepare for war with the People’s Republic of China.

Communist Sanctions (3): The Soviets are outraged to be lumped in with the Chinese and most of our Western allies do not back the measures considering that new engagements in Southeastern Asia are seen largely as a Chinese-American conflict and Western Europe is less interested in fighting Red China than the Soviets.

New Legislative Proposals (Senate)

Native American Protection Act (9): The act is very well-received on the hill and given the moderate-to-conservative nature of its sponsors it receives broad support across the spectrum. 

New Legislative Proposals (House)

Cannabis Sentencing Reform Act (10!): The act is a smash hit, especially after the failure of the Republican attempt to ramp up the war on drugs. The act is another win for social conservatives looking to fight drug use and is particularly popular among suburban voters.

Senate Votes

The Emergency Health Professions Education Assistance Act is a fairly inoffensive Act and it seems only the most conservative of the Senate conservatives will be taking the time to oppose the otherwise consensus legislation.

The EHPEAA passes 73-27.

(Sparkman, Wallace, Rasmuson, Fannin, Goldwater, McClellan, Yorty, Dominick, Bryant, Russell, Talmadge, Hansen (ID), Landgrebe, Stubblefield, Ellender, Eastland, Curtis (MO), Cotton, Ervin, Lausche, Thurmond, Evins, Weilenmann, Gray, Byrd, and Hansen (WY))

House Votes

The Censure of Pete McCloskey hits the floor as a very bipartisan affair. It is entirely obvious to most all impartial observers that McCloskey broke the rules in question for which he is being censured. Some, however, just don’t find those offenses censureable. Those aforementioned opponents are almost entirely of the liberal persuasion. Nevertheless, the resolution is highly likely to pass.

Pete McCloskey (R, CA-11) is censured 392-41.

(Progs, 15/47 GOPLibs, and 8/49 DemLibs)

Legislative Action Items (Senate)

Native American Protection Act

Legislative Action Items (House)

Emergency Health Professions Education Assistance Act

Cannabis Sentencing Reform Act

Party Events

GOP VP Reform (1!): Party regulars balk at the concept and cannot see themselves supporting changing the system midstream when the VP is viewed as necessarily a pointman for the nominee.

Supreme Court Action Items

None 🙂

General Headlines

• The Khmer Rouge have redoubled their efforts in Cambodia, attacking the capital airport in Phnom Penh
  • Oman has gained independence from the United Kingdom
  • The U.S. Dollar is devalued for second time in history amidst recession

Supreme Court rules that Equal Protection applies to Sex in Estate Case

Reed v. Reed

The Supreme Court has unanimously ruled that estate administrators cannot be named in ways which discriminate based on sex. The opinion of the court, written by Chief Justice Rehnquist, is a landmark in 14th amendment jurisprudence because it is the first time the court has affirmed that the guarantee of “equal protection” also includes protection based on sex.

Former House Leadership hopeful dead at age 63

November 8th, 1971 - Rep. Carl Albert (D, OK-3) has been found dead in his Oklahoma home of a heart attack. The Democrat who was once considered a contender for Speaker of the House was said to have gone into a deep depression following his career opportunities dimming. Following heavy drinking and smoking, it is believed his body went into shock due to the substance use and was finally overwhelmed last night when a heart attack took Albert in his sleep. A special election to fill his seat will be held early next year.

Election Updates

MS-3 Special Election

150,392 votes

Allen C. Thompson (D) - 89,634 votes (59.6%)

Prentiss Walker (R) - 58,202 votes votes (38.7%)

Fannie Lou Hammer (P) - 2,557 votes (1.7%)

D Hold

Louisiana Gubernatorial Election

1,015,945 votes

Taddy Aycock (D) - 672,556 votes (66.2%)

William Henson Moore (R) - 343,389 votes (33.8%)

D Hold

Kentucky Gubernatorial Election

947,903 votes

Frank Chelf (D) - 493,857 votes (52.1%)

Tim Lee Carter (R) - 454,046 votes (47.9%)

D Pick-Up

Mississippi Gubernatorial Election

801,392 votes

Charles L. Sullivan (D) -  572,194 votes (71.4%)

Clarke Reed (R) - 229,198 votes (28.6%)

D Hold

IN-2 Special Election

129,045 votes

Floyd Fithian (D) - 65,039 votes (50.4%)

Harriet Bailey Conn (R) - 64,006 votes (49.6%)

D Pick-Up

Nixon Approval Rating

Approve - 55% (-2)

Disapprove - 36% (+1)

No Opinion/Neutral - 9% (+1)

1972 Rolls

Social Cohesion (47/100): The nation remains on a steady course for unity with average racial tension largely concentrated in the few Southern states in the final death throes of segregation-era politics.

Economic Health (23/100): Despite the President's Revenue Act last year, the Treasury was forced to devalue the dollar and the recession has deepened into 1972. Economists are now comfortably declaring that this event has marked the end of the Post-War economic expansion era. The stock market has begun a small "flash crash" which is beginning to self-correct but marks the beginning of a bear market. Unfortunately for the country, the Keynesian policies which have bouyed the post-war expansion seem to be ineffective to stem the tide of the growing recession as productivity falls to new lows. Many economists are now saying that the age-old wisdom of price controls and regulations won't be enough to bring the post-war boom back and keep the economy from freefall.

Foreign Policy (62/100): Following the failure in China, the Western World has begun to rally behind the United States new position against China. Initially skittish, the US has avoided a schism in the West in which Western Europe would only oppose the USSR. Now finally comitting to anti-communism globally, the Western World seems to be back under the firm leadership of the United States after a quick scare. 

---

Up Next: Governing Mini-Turn and Opening of Presidential Election of 1972 to February 20th, 1972

Alright folks, this is it! This final turn is just going to be for cleaning up the few legislative items we have left and easing us into 1972. This turn everyone who wants to run for President and compete in all the primaries should declare! Once this turn is processed governing will be done until 1973 (with exceptions where needed for response to world events or otherwise) and we will officially be in Presidential Election mode. As we enter our second Presidential election, may the odds be ever in your flava and happy flavamaking! 

@Pringles @Zenobiyl @ConservativeElector2 @WVProgressive @Hestia @The Blood @Cal @Sean F Kennedy @Fbarbarossa @Mishfox

Jacob Javits Announces a run for Vice-President

Woman speaking to Senator Jacob Javits before or after a hearing held by  the Senate Subcommittee on Employment, Manpower, and Poverty at the  Heidelberg Hotel in Jackson, Mississippi. - Jim Peppler Southern

Here's something you don't see every day: A politician has announced his intention to seek the Vice-Presidential Nomination. That politician is New York Senator Jacob Javits, who announced his intentions to seek the Vice Presidential nomination on February 10th of 1972. The Senator made a short announcement speech, which is transcribed below, where he acknowledged the quixoticness of his campaign, and called his run a "Campaign of ideas" that's intention is more so to promote progressive policy, rather than an earnest campaign for the Vice-Presidency. Some political commentators speculate that this is Javits's way of promoting himself to a national audience in preparation for a Presidential run in 1976, but Javits has refused to answer any questions with regards to his plans for future elections.

Javits's Announcement Speech:

"Fellow New Yorkers! Fellow Republicans! Fellow Americans! I am here to announce to you, that I shall seek the Republican Vice-Presidential nomination in the 1972 election. Know I know, I know, you may stand there, and wonder what I mean. You may wonder if I misspoke. You may wonder if I'm pulling your leg. You may wonder if I'm still mentally fit to be a Senator. (Laughter). Trust me, my friends, I am serious. I am announcing my intentions to be your next Vice President, and that I need your help to do it. I want you to write to, call, pressure your local Republican leaders, and delegates in support of my candidacy. This campaign, will be an active campaign in promotion of progress. This is, a campaign of ideas, more than a campaign of Javits. I will fight for the progressive changes needed to our economy, and our society that we need, in order to end this recession, beat the Communists, and ensure that the promise of Liberty, and Justice for All, is finally realized for every American. Expect further details, and an official platform in the coming weeks, and months, and I'll see you at the RNC in Miami this summer!"

Edited by WVProgressive
Changed the date around a little bit, and fixed a spelling mistake.

25 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Jacob Javits Announces a run for Vice-President

Woman speaking to Senator Jacob Javits before or after a hearing held by  the Senate Subcommittee on Employment, Manpower, and Poverty at the  Heidelberg Hotel in Jackson, Mississippi. - Jim Peppler Southern

Here's something you don't see every day: A politician has announced his intention to seek the Vice-Presidential Nomination. That politician is New York Senator Jacob Javits, who announced his intentions to seek the Vice Presidential nomination on February 10th of 1972. The Senator made a short announcement speech, which is transcribed below, where he acknowledged the quixoticness of his campaign, and called his run a "Campaign of ideas" that's intention is more so to promote progressive policy, rather than an earnest campaign for the Vice-Presidency. Some political commentators speculate that this is Javits's way of promoting himself to a national audience in preparation for a Presidential run in 1976, but Javits has refused to answer any questions with regards to his plans for future elections.

Javits's Announcement Speech:

"Fellow New Yorkers! Fellow Republicans! Fellow Americans! I am here to announce to you, that I shall seek the Republican Vice-Presidential nomination in the 1972 election. Know I know, I know, you may stand there, and wonder what I mean. You may wonder if I misspoke. You may wonder if I'm pulling your leg. You may wonder if I'm still mentally fit to be a Senator. (Laughter). Trust me, my friends, I am serious. I am announcing my intentions to be your next Vice President, and that I need your help to do it. I want you to write to, call, pressure your local Republican leaders, and delegates in support of my candidacy. This campaign, will be an active campaign in promotion of progress. This is, a campaign of ideas, more than a campaign of Javits. I will fight for the progressive changes needed to our economy, and our society that we need, in order to end this recession, beat the Communists, and ensure that the promise of Liberty, and Justice for All, is finally realized for every American. Expect further details, and an official platform in the coming weeks, and months, and I'll see you at the RNC in Miami this summer!"

Liberal Republicans will remain supportive of Nixon’s chosen running mate, whoever that may be. With the colossal failure of the internal VP reform, and the strong polling for the Republican Party, none outside of the far left of the GOP see any need to rock the boat with an election coming up

Edited by Zenobiyl

Liberal Republican Events:

House:

Emergency Health Professions Education Assistance Act: AYE

Cannabis Sentencing Reform Act: Whip NAY. Liberal Republicans criticize the Democratic Party for yet another infringement of civil liberties, claiming that the provisions within the bill’s text are “ripped from the medieval age!”

Senate:

Native American Protection Act: AYE

Internal Event

Liberal Republicans put even more focus on New York, in hopes of churning out support for house candidates in the great state.

Rising Star Liberal Republican enters the Presidential Primaries!

In a stunning twist, a new and previously unknown liberal republican has decided to enter the race for president. With Nixon so popular the move is seemingly a blunder, but perhaps there is a logic to this choice after all. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

[Made you look 🤣🤣🤣, happy late April Fools.]

• Haha 1

Pete McCloskey announces run for president and enters the Republican Presidential Primaries!

580C96B2-D53F-4A5E-84DE-3FFF843CE73B.thumb.jpeg.7dd5e6d1527ca0170b833177a0dcf5d0.jpeg

McCloskey begins his prepared speech, before ripping it up and going ad-libbed

“Today, a few hours ago, both parties united to censure me for “misconduct”. What they really censured me for was telling the truth. I showed the world what these so-called family values southern racists really stand for: nothing! Nixon, Wallace, Thurmond, Symington, all of them are the same sides of a rotten racist coin! Do you think any of those wet towels would’ve had the courage to put their career on the line to tell the truth? Well, you already know the answer.”

McCloskey pounds the podium in anger.

”Every day for the past 4 years I’ve watched the Democratic Party shove far-right bull crap through the house and senate, and I’ve watched the Republican Party sit there and take it like a bitch! Wallace and his goons keep ramping up the police, and going after every single thing. What’s next? Are we gonna bend over and let Wallace fine people the cost of a house for weed?”

McCloskey looks out at the crowd

”To my fellow Republicans, the sad truth is that President Nixon is a crook. He picked a crook as Vice President. He works with crooks. Hell, his wife is probably a crook too! He loves that old toad Hoover so much they should get a room. They put wiretaps everywhere, and spy on people who did nothing wrong. I bet you I’m being spied on right now!”

McCloskey points to a campaign poster showing his values and issue positions

”My platform is simple. No right turns. I will take on the rich crooks, fix the healthcare system, fight for union rights, further minority causes, ratify the equal rights amendment, and get the hell out of Cambodia. I will be a republican in the tradition of Lincoln and Roosevelt, while Nixon is shaping up to be another Hoover with the way the stock market is going.”

McCloskey finishes with a smile and wink

”Thank you all, and remember to cast your votes in the primaries!”

Edited by Mishfox
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mishfox said:

Pete McCloskey announces run for president and enters the Republican Presidential Primaries!

580C96B2-D53F-4A5E-84DE-3FFF843CE73B.thumb.jpeg.7dd5e6d1527ca0170b833177a0dcf5d0.jpeg

McCloskey begins his prepared speech, before ripping it up and going ad-libbed

McCloskey pounds the podium in anger.

McCloskey looks out at the crowd

McCloskey points to a campaign poster showing his values and issue positions

McCloskey finishes with a smile and wink

OOC: Based. If I had been an eighteen year old in 1972, in this timeline, I probably would've been a member of the PPA, but I would certainly consider switching over to the GOP, if only to vote for this Pete McCloskey.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dobs said:

Native American Protection Act

Emergency Health Professions Education Assistance Act

Cannabis Sentencing Reform Act

Senate Item:

Native American Protection Act: Aye

House Items:

Emergency Health Professions Education Assistance Act (someone's gonna die for that long name): Aye

Cannabis Sentencing Reform Act: Liberal moderates are encouraged to vote nay while conservative ones are encouraged to vote aye

Political Things:

Senator Symington visits Arizona where he talks about his closeness with Minority Whip Udall and talks about how he is hoping to protect the West just as well as their home state representative, and announces his support for the recent acts to protect Wilderness in the West, as well as the newest act to protect natives that was created by their neighbors in New Mexico. 

Poll Request:

General Election Matchup: Symington (D) vs Nixon (R)

Oklahoma Candidate: George Nigh

Executive Actions:

1. President Nixon would send Henry Kissinger over to China in hopes to calm the situation down. Urging the Chinese to come to the table and get talking. Kissinger is sure to criticize the recklessness of Thieu, but says that Enlai has a chance to stop the fighting and enter China into the outside world. It's an opportunity that Enlai shouldn't pass. 

2137428728_download(7).thumb.jpg.0e8425a7b3b5ac1e677aaed98eb64dc3.jpg

2. President Nixon calls Thieu and shames him for doing what he did with the aid, nevertheless, we must adapt. President Nixon says pull your forces back to the border and stand your ground. Nixon warns Thieu, next time he throws away military aid like this he won't get shit from the United States anymore. Only food to give to the citizens of Vietnam Thieu can barely even feed. 

3. President Nixon authorizes a covert CIA operation to assassinate Khmer Rouge leaders, and potentially even begin the foundation for an assassination of Pol Pot. Hoping that the ongoing operations in Cambodia have produced useful layouts of where Khmer leaders may be. 

Native American Protection Act: Conscience

Emergency Health Professions Education Assistance Act: Aye.

Cannabis Sentencing Reform Act: Aye. 

Party Events:

President Nixon would laugh at hearing Pete McCloskey is challenging him, he simply plans to ignore him for the Republican Primary. Nixon's reasoning being the more shouting and rambling a man does, the more crazy he looks. And that's what Pete is anyways. 

With that said, in hopes to give Vice President Agnew some more national attention, Nixon would instruct Agnew to begin meeting with Republican leaders in the "Border South." Hoping to solidify endorsements and ensure campaign operations are ready to go in states like Virginia, Tennessee, Missouri, Kentucky, and North Carolina. 

President Nixon Announces 1972 Economy Plan

President Nixon would lay out a new plan to restore the economy for 1972-1973. As the election year continues on, President Nixon states, "My fellow Americans, it is now time that the investments into our great country come from the people. Not the government. The 1971 measures have kept us steady, but if we're going to see a complete we need to ensure that a major economic event of opportunity occurs."

1972 Economic Plan

- An increased tariff on all imported goods. From 10% to 15%. 

- Establishment of a Cost-of-Living Council to monitor the cost of living in every state. Coordinated with Secretary of Local Affairs; Phyllis Schlafly.

- Corporate tax cuts. (From 10% to 8%)

- High-Income and Middle-Income tax cuts. 

With Vietnam over President Nixon hopes that the money that was used for the war, (Around 15 billion per year) will make up for this economic plan, and potentially even leave some over. If funds are left over they are to be invested directly into the American economy. Believing combined consumer and federal investment can cause a surge to occur. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pringles said:

President Nixon Announces 1972 Economy Plan

President Nixon would lay out a new plan to restore the economy for 1972-1973. As the election year continues on, President Nixon states, "My fellow Americans, it is now time that the investments into our great country come from the people. Not the government. The 1971 measures have kept us steady, but if we're going to see a complete we need to ensure that a major economic event of opportunity occurs."

1972 Economic Plan

- An increased tariff on all imported goods. From 10% to 15%. 

- Establishment of a Cost-of-Living Council to monitor the cost of living in every state. Coordinated with Secretary of Local Affairs; Phyllis Schlafly.

- Corporate tax cuts. (From 10% to 8%)

- High-Income and Middle-Income tax cuts. 

With Vietnam over President Nixon hopes that the money that was used for the war, (Around 15 billion per year) will make up for this economic plan, and potentially even leave some over. If funds are left over they are to be invested directly into the American economy. Believing combined consumer and federal investment can cause a surge to occur. 

Additional bullet point for the economy plan. 

- Low Income Veterans, (below the poverty line) will be eliminated from the tax rolls. Similar to President Nixon's economic plan in 1969. 

- Treasury Secretary Nelson Rockefeller will begin coordinating efforts with Federal Reserve Chair Arthur F. Burns to increase the money supply. In order to begin what's going to be an increase in consumer spending. 

Edited by Pringles