The Political Lounge

AMPU Era of the Future Supreme Court Cases

vcczar

I'm putting @ConservativeElector2 @jvikings1 and @Cal in charge of this. 

I need specific hypothetical SC Cases for Era of the Future. You can look at the various AMPU policy threads to see Era of the Future Legis, Pres Actions, etc. that might help determine the kind of cases we might see. Please follow this format as it will make it easier for me to place your creations in the spreadsheet. 

Considering Era of the Future covers about 88 years, let's aim for about 25 to 30 hypothetical cases. I'll also likely have a SC generator as @MrPotatoTed suggested and Gov's will be able to challenge laws too. 

I won't be able to transfer these until sometime in May. Copy+paste this to create a case:

1. Court Case Name: 

2. Description (Question Form that could be answered "yes" or "no". See SC Case examples from the game:

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: 

Fairly simple. Just three things. I'll fill in everything else. 

No rush. 

I will think about cases. Expect a longer response by Friday or Saturday. I have finished the first full draft of my MA thesis, but I have to sort out a few other college related things as well.

On a side note I would like to mention again, that I am absolutely in love with @MrPotatoTed's idea of a SC case generator. Besides a human name database, state names should of course be included as well. 

• Like 1

Here are some ideas. I made up the names. Comes that close to your ideas? @vcczar

1. Court Case Name: Advanced Robot Inc. v. California

2. Description: Do constitutional rights apply to robots and other objects guided by AI? 

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If yes, Honest Government, Globalists, Big Business (? not sure about who they are called but you'll get the notion) +; If no Traditionalists, Protectionists +

1. Court Case Name: Benevolent Citizens Association v. Texas

2. Description: Is a state allowed to house it's large number of inmates in prison colonies in the space? 

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no progressives, civil rights +; If yes Conservatives, Traditionalists, Law and Order +

1. Court Case Name: Televangelist Inc. v. Future Transactions

2. Description: Are businesses allowed to mandate their customers using cryptocurrency? 

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If yes Globalists, Big Business + , If no Traditionalists +

Edited by ConservativeElector2
  • Like 2

1. Name: TBD (Darth Vader Case)

2. Description: How much human modification before a person is more machine than man (and not considered a person under the law)?

3. Suggestions: LW Populists/Progressives/Human Rights +; RW Populists/Traditionalists/Conservatives/Theocrats -

Note: Could be a serious of cases which increase the scope of protections

• Like 1

1. Court Case Name: Bender v. New York

2. Description (Question Form that could be answered "yes" or "no". See SC Case examples from the game: Can the state ban a person from marrying a robot or other forms of AI?

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: if np progressives, civil rights +; if yes Traditionalist, Conservatives +

edit: oops

Edited by 0ccultist
  • Like 1

1. Cour Name:  Jones V. Alabama

2. Description: Does a person have the right to upload their consciousness to the internet?

3. Suggestion: if yes Big Business, Progressive +; if no Traditionalist, Conservatives +.

Follow up case if this one is yes:

1. Name: Quackenbush V. <head of the irs> (idk)

2. Description: Can the state tax those who upload themselves to the internet

3. suggestions: If yes Government +; if no Conservatives, Big Business +

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Argh I always thinking about producing more these and than I forget or get distracted by exams, home work or social life. Hopefully I can wrap some up this weekend.

Yeah, that would be great. I'm actually working on the SC Cases spreadsheet at this very moment. Trying to improve them and fill in some of the recent historical additions.

On 5/6/2022 at 9:36 PM, vcczar said:

Yeah, that would be great. I'm actually working on the SC Cases spreadsheet at this very moment. Trying to improve them and fill in some of the recent historical additions.

Here are finally some more ideas. I'd re-think the + and - section. Anyway I also suggest a kind of 5% chance that a case from the SC Case Generator will be seen as a landmark decision.

1. Court Case Name: Robot Loan Services v. Department of Transportation

2. Description: Is involuntary deactivation of Robots for the means of Transportation justified? 

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no progressives, civil rights +; If yes Big Business +
----------------------------------------------------------------
1. Court Case Name: Woordworks Inc. v. Oregon Department of Environmental Quality

2. Description: Can trees be declared as having the same rights as human beings? 

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no Big Agriculture +; If yes environmentalists +
1. Court Case Name: Animal Rights Advocacy v. South Dakota

2. Description: Does hunting constitute unneccessary cruelty towards animals? 

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no Big Agriculture +; If yes environmentalists, Liberals +

1. Court Case Name: Minnesota Justice v. City of Minneapolis

2. Description: Does advocating to abolish local police departments endanger civilians by means that qualify for advocacy of domestic terrorism? 

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no Civil Rights, Left-Wing Activists +; If yes Law and Order, Conservatives +
1. Court Case Name: Fishing Ban Now PAC v. Michigan

2. Description: Does fishing constitute unneccessary cruelty towards animals of the seas? 

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no Big Agriculture +; If yes environmentalists +
1. Court Case Name: Maine Lobster Industries v. New York City

2. Description: Is a city allowed to ban certain products, despite this ban harming an entire industry? 

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no Big Business, Conservatives +; If yes environmentalists, Left-Wing Activits +
1. Court Case Name: Electronic Warfare v. City of San Francisco

2. Description: Is a ban on videogames dealing with war and violence constitutional? 

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no Big Business, Big Military +; If yes Liberals +
1. Court Case Name: Texas v. Robot Car Factory Union

2. Description: Can a state seek the permanent deactivation of robots that have accidentially killed humans? 

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no Civil Rights +; If yes Traditionalists +
1. Court Case Name: New Mexico v. Lopez

2. Description: Is an apprehended individual allowed to resist arrest by a robot bountyhunter by means that cause the permanent malfunction of this state agent? 

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no Law and Order +; If yes Civil Rights +
1. Court Case Name: Coalition against Police killings v. Louisiana

2. Description: Does the intention of using dark sorcery against the police equal resisting arrest in a way in which the use of deadly force by law enforcement can be justified?

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no Civil Rights +; If yes Law and Order +
1. Court Case Name: Maxwell v. Arkansas

2. Description: Does the execution of death row inmate who was struck by lightning after being sentenced to death, subsiquently diminished in his mental capacity, violate the Eigth Amendment?

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no Law and Order +; If yes Civil Rights +
1. Court Case Name: Jefferson v. United States

2. Description: Can a foreign transsexual claim asylum in the US due to persecution in their home country?

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no Traditionalists +; If yes Progressives +
1. Court Case Name: Roscoe v. Montgomery Public Schools

2. Description: Do a school district's efforts to punish his racist language violate the individual's First Amendment right to freedom of speech?

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no Progressives +; If yes Traditionalists, Theocrats +
1. Court Case Name: Martin v. Doe

2. Description: Does the testimony of a masked witness violate the Sixth Amendment?

1. Court Case Name: Mississippi v. Hinds County Coroner

2. Description: Does the erroneously determining of a modern day lynching as suicide constitute a punishable offense?

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no Right-Wing Activists +; If yes Civil Rights, Law and Order +
1. Court Case Name: Michigan v. Know your Abortionist, Inc.

2. Description: Does the forced shutdown of a website advocating the murder of abortion doctors violate the First Amendment right to freedom of speech?

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no Progressives +; If yes Traditionalists, Theocrats +
1. Court Case Name: Weissenberg v. City of Provo

2. Description: Does the involuntary collection of DNA samples violate the Fourth Amendment?

• Thanks 1

California v. Robertson

This would overturn the potential ruling in National Rifle Association v. Bruening, which states that good reason laws regarding concealed carry is unconstitutional. 

Utah v. Nelson

Overturns Millver v. United States which outlawed polygamy. 

Reasoning: the Supreme Court was based on a law that was purposely written to discriminate against Mormons. Current legal thinking includes intent in their decisions (see Trump's travel ban) and this would almost certainly be overturned for that reason despite the concern about the propriety of polygamy. I can also see a more liberal court overturning it in general in the future.

• Thanks 1

1. Court Case Name:  Florida v Alabama

2. Description:  Do artificial but permanent settlements located in oceanic waters have an exclusive economic area?

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If yes, +Expansionist, if no +Isolationists

-----

1. Court Case Name:  Fergus v Federal Aviation Administration

2. Description:  Can the government ban private spaceports?

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise:  If Yes +Protectionist, +Environmentalists If no +Free Trade, +Big Technology, +Transportation,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

-------------
1. Court Case Name: Electronic Warfare v. City of San Francisco

2. Description: Is a ban on videogames dealing with war and violence constitutional? 

3. Any suggestions on what the case might do gameplay wise: If no Big Business, Big Military +; If yes Liberals +
-----------------

I like this one bit more but would suggest a plus + modifier for Traditionalists as well as liberals. Could also be updated to explicit music or television/film

• Like 2