The Political Lounge

AMPU: The Big Red Button (1960 Playtest)

Cal

1 minute ago, bradleyg223 said:

My brain started melting when I was trying to find Millard Larsdwell's prior terms lol.

Ya.

For the record, these are the seven guys with wrong names. Lars should be Cal.

Bo Larslaway

Larsvin Coolidge

Millard Larsdwell

Pascal F Larsogero

Joseph Larsifano

Mike O'Larslaghan

Larsvin Rampton

14 minutes ago, Cal said:

@MrPotatoTed @Vols21 @pman @OrangeP47 @Lars @bradleyg223 @Ich_bin_Tyler @Mark_W @ShortKing @Willthescout7

I am happy to start the rolling for primaries tonight. However! I've done some digging into the rules and there's some important stuff we haven't addressed. 

One: the Blue team doesn't have a Party Leader. That's easily solved, however, because the new rules specify that the Party Leader must have Leadership. Therefore, Lyndon B. Johnson is the only eligible candidate and your Blue Party Leader.

Two: We need to set up primary/convention delegates. Since we skipped straight to elections, I rolled randomly to see what Governor from each party would get to do this. The winners were @bradleyg223 and @OrangeP47. You guys get the pleasure of dividing the states equally into five categories that give them different weight. You can use this to your advantage, probably. Here are the relevant rules: 

Once a governor is randomly selected to lead the National Convention for his or her party, they will evenly distribute all states among the following categories:

Category One: The number of convention/primary delegates from that state will be set equal to their number of electoral votes. 

Category Two:  Number of delegates will be 2x their electoral votes

Category Three:  Number of delegates will be 3x their electoral votes

Category Four: Number of delegates will be 4x their electoral votes

Category Five:  Number of delegates will be 3x their electoral votes for states unless: 1) States have a party pref bias of +2 or higher for the party, then they get 4x their EVs. And 2)  States have a party pref bias for the other party, then they get delegated equal to x2 their EVs.

I know that this seems a little weird, but let's test out the rules as they are now and see how it works before making any other changes. 

Three: Here are the primary schedules. 

Republicans 1960 Primary Schedule 

Group 1 — New Hampshire
Group 2 — Wisconsin, Illinois
Group 3 — New Jersey, Massachusetts
Group 4— Pennsylvania, Washington DC, Indiana, Ohio
Group 5 -- Nebraska, West Virginia, Oregon, Florida, California, South Dakota

Democratic 1960 Primary Schedule 

Group 1 — New Hampshire
Group 2 — Wisconsin, Illinois
Group 3 — New Jersey, Massachusetts
Group 4 — Pennsylvania, Washington DC, Indiana, Ohio
Group 5 -- Maryland, Nebraska, West Virginia, Oregon, Florida, California, South Dakota 

Fourth, how will primaries actually... work?

Step 0: I'll determine the frontrunner in each race per the rules. It must be a major candidate (not stated in the rules).

Step 1: I'll do the debate, if your party has one. The Democrats do! 

Step 2: Then I'll roll for scandals. 

Step 3: The rules say we check for bankrupt candidates, but V says not to do this until the McGovern Commission. So we won't do that. 

Step 4: Major candidates can take primary actions. (Check the rules for what these are)

Step 5: The primary group actually occurs and I roll for all of the results.

Then we repeat!

So, the clarify what I need from y'all now...

@bradleyg223 and @OrangeP47, please set the delegates for primaries/conventions according to the rules in the Internal Affairs document. 

Everyone else: If you are running a major candidate, please tell me what presidential actions you want to take.

If everyone can get their actions submitted here on the forum within the next 4 or so hours, I can run the first primary group tonight and the successive ones as everyone submits their actions.

After the primary, I would love to hear feedback and suggestions for what should be considered for changing in this phase!

@Cal

Republican Convention Distribution

Cat 1:  Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah

Cat 2: Washington, Texas, West Virginia, California, Colorado, Iowa, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri

Cat 3:  Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, Oregon, Wyoming

Cat 4:  Illinois, Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maine, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Vermont, Pennsylvania, New York

Cat 5: Maryland (no pref, 3x), Michigan (no pref, 3x), Minnesota (blue, 2x), Montana (no pref, 3x), New Mexico (blue, 2x), Nevada (blue, 2x), Ohio (no pref, 3x), South Dakota (red +1, 3x), Virginia (blue, 2x), Wisconsin (red +1, 3x)

• Based 1

@Cal

Democratic Delegates per State:

Category 5: AZ: 8, IA: 20, ID: 8, KS: 16, LA: 40, NE: 12, OH: 75, SD: 8, TN: 44, UT: 12

Category 4: AL: 44, AR: 32, FL: 40, GA: 48, IN: 52, MS: 32, NC: 56, SC: 32, TX: 96, VA: 48

Category 3: KY: 30, MD: 27, ME: 15, MO: 39, MT: 12, NH: 12, NV: 9, OK: 24, WY: 9

Category 2: AK: 6, CO: 12, DE: 6, HI: 6, ND: 8, NM: 8, RI: 8, VT: 6, WA: 18, WV: 16

Category 1: CA: 32, CT: 8, IL: 27, MA: 16, MI: 20, MN: 11, NJ: 16, NY: 45, OR: 6, PA: 32

42 minutes ago, Lars said:

Ya.

For the record, these are the seven guys with wrong names. Lars should be Cal.

Bo Larslaway

Larsvin Coolidge

Millard Larsdwell

Pascal F Larsogero

Joseph Larsifano

Mike O'Larslaghan

Larsvin Rampton

That's freaking hilarious.  I didn't know what the heck you guys were talking about or how it happened, until just now.

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

@Cal I saw DC is on the primaries list.  Is that right?  I checked whether DC had electoral votes yet (when I was making the Govstates tab) and it said not until 1961.

In that case, I'll just use the 1961 numbers. 

• Like 1

March 8: The White House

As the first night of the primaries comes to a close, Ike and Mamie Eisenhower sit down to watch the results while eating Ike's guilty pleasure: a Swanson frozen tv dinner (turkey and gravy with corn and sweet potatoes, to be exact).

The President, anxious after the campaign announcement of his former colleague, General Douglas MacArthur, keeps a pack of cigarettes close by knowing he's going to need them regardless of the outcome. 

The battle to become his successor had begun.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark_W said:

Ah ok (why would you do your speech now, you better not be throwing this 😅)

Shock and awe!  The speech shall be so amazing that nobody else dares compete for one second longer. ;c)

Also, I don't know what I'm doing yet.  I'm learning about the primary rules with the rest of ya -- and I have no doubt some of you have read them much more closely than I have, as I haven't gotten that far in my rule revisions yet.  ;c)