The Political Lounge

AMPU: The Big Red Button (1960 Playtest)

Cal

Somewhere in a cool, hip Howard Johnson's cafe  on the Massachusetts/New Hampshire border, a bunch of nondescript moderate-liberal Democrats chat over eggs and bacon. 

"Can you believe the group of candidates the Red team is throwing out there" one says. The other says "yeah, what do you want, nuclear war or economic collapse?" A third chimes in "thank God Patton died or they'd be trotting him out in front of America." 

Then they remember Hubert Humphrey is their faction leader and they go back to their eggs and the table remains silent for far too long before one of them finally says  "honestly, I think we might win this." The rest of the table laughs until the waitress comes to the table, the optimistic one asks "hey, can I get one of those cheese danishes and by the way, have you ever heard of Hubert  Humphrey?" The waitress says "no, but I do like the two actors running for President". The optimistic one mutters to himself, "Kennedy's a Senator". 

At least the danish was good.

Good morning everyone!

Edited by pman
  • Haha 3

On the way out of the Howard Johnson's the depressed men from breakfast are suddenly buoyed by a trifecta of friendly faces. Over walks the surprisingly hansom face of Robert Kennedy Jr, Franklin Roosevelt Jr and Adlai Stevenson the Third. These group of un-elected kids are called the legacies. RFK says "lets go fight this fight for the working people of America." The men from before say "you're right, lets do this." Meanwhile in the campaign bus parked across the lot,  Tip O'Neill hunks the horn and screams "hurry the hell up." That's right, Tip is driving the damn bus. The others sprint towards the bus, nobody makes Tip O'Neill wait, not even JFK's younger brother. 

In the bus, the candidate, the one the waitress didn't know (she served him coffee 10 minutes before being asked about him) wakes up in a cold sweet. Is Tip honking at him? He's confused but that's ok, he's Hubert Humphrey. He goes back to sleep in his seat. 

Edited by pman

The winner of the first Democratic Debate is... Ronald Reagan, the actor!

However, he only won by 1 point over Senator Kennedy, so he doesn't get a boost. 

For being the loser of the debate, Senator Hubert Humphrey gets -1 in the next primary group.

• Like 1
  • Based 2

JFK had a minor scandal (rolled a 4)

Gus Hall WOULD have had a scandal, but the left-wing media played it off. (rolled a 4)

John Connaly has a minor scandal (rolled a 2)

Ronald Reagan WOULD have had a scandal, but he his fire spitting propagandist rhetoric played it off smoothly (rolled a 2)

• Like 1

The 1960 Democratic Primary

The Democratic Party could be described aptly in one word: Guideless. There is a fight for the soul of the party, and that fight is on display with titanic candidates from every wing of the party duking it out. Pundits believe that Senator John F. Kennedy has the best chance to win, but there's some who believe that the beloved actor Ronald Reagan might be able to take his public image and charm all the way to the convention. 

The candidates watched with baited breath as the results came in for New Hampshire...

Senator John F. Kennedy would win in a landslide! @MrPotatoTed

For winning the first primary group, Moderate Enthusiasm moves one point towards the Blue team. Kennedy also gets +1 towards every state in the next primary group.

JFK is now the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination.

The 1960 Republican Primary

The race to succeed Eisenhower is a strange one. Indeed, the sitting Vice President Richard Nixon chose to sit out, leaving the field wide open. Those declaring were not the big names of the party -- rather, the most powerful among them were the legends of the party's past. 86 year old General MacArthur stands as the lone frontrunner, but former nominee Thomas Dewey, former President Herbert Hoover, and several other minor candidates seek the nomination.

The candidates watched with baited breath as the results came in for New Hampshire...

It would be a tie between General MacArthur and Thomas Dewey! However, after a recount, it would be revealed that Thomas Dewey prevailed by a margin of just under 200 votes, thus taking all of the states delegates and the momentum into the next state! @Vols21

For winning the first primary group, Moderate Enthusiasm moves one point towards the Red Team. Dewey also gets +1 towards every state in the next primary group.

For not placing first as the frontrunner, General MacArthur moves RW Populist enthusiasm one point towards the Blue Team, and gets -1 in every state in the next primary group.

We will now move forward to Primary Group 2.
Action now goes to all players with an active candidate to take action or choose not to. Withdrawing/endorsing is considering part of these actions.
Note: The Democratic Debate is now limited only to major candidates.

@MrPotatoTed @Vols21 @pman @OrangeP47 @Lars @bradleyg223 @Ich_bin_Tyler @Mark_W @ShortKing @Willthescout7

• Sad 1
  • Based 1

10 minutes ago, pman said:

I forget, do kingmakers impact primaries the way they do the convention?

Nope. However, Kingmaker-Protege chains still presumably have an effect of +1, but we don’t have those yet (you can start assigning in the next factional realignment phase)

• Thanks 1

Former Ohio Gov. Bricker will visit some neighboring states to visit with friends and neighbors.    (if he's allowed an action to focus on a state, it will be nearby Illinois in Group 2, and NJ for Group 3.   If not, he can still visit unofficially(

On the campaign bus leaving New Hampshire:

Tip O'Neill- "Where am I taking this thing?"

Hubert- "Let's go to Illinois, I want the challenge of beating those other guys face to face. I really think I am finding my sea legs here guys."

Franklin Roosevelt Jr- "Honestly, shouldn't we just go to Wisconsin, everyone else is ignoring it."

RFK- "Plus, didn't you just talk about how you like cheese and union workers?"

Hubert- "But seriously guys, I think I can win Illinois."

Tip O'Neill- "We're going to Wisconsin, we'll probably still lose but at least the cameras won't be there to document it."

Tip and the Hubert crew will focus on Wisconsin. 

Edited by pman
  • Like 1

A man walks down a hallway alone, he knows why he is here, he is a news anchor. He is tell the American People the news at Tango News network or TNN. He got this job a two years ago after being fired from his previous job. Now at a young 20 years old he was certainly a younger news anchor than most ones on TV, but he was certainly popular among TNN watchers. 

He reaches the door, he takes a deep breath, and pushes it open to see the the news crew working. They stop for a moment to see him enter. 'Hello Everyone, I take it that the reports of the primaries have come in?' Everyone nods as he walks to his desk and sits down. 'Great, I have an actual story about politics to tell everyone about other than Ike's war-stories.' 

Cameraperson: 'We are live in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1!'

'Hello People of America, It's your favorite newsman, Matthew Holder with an exciting news from the primary in New Hampshire. In the republican primary Thomas Dewey, republican presidential candidate for 1944 and 1948, won it narrowly over General MacArthur, with just under 200 votes. With that kind of luck he is sure to win the republican nomination and lose for the third time in recent history!' Was that joke funny? Would the people watching find it just hilarious? Or would they just have pained-laughter like the studio crew last time he made a political joke like that.

'In the democratic primary John F. Kennedy, Senator and Catholic from Massachusetts won in a landslide. Winning over 67.34% of the vote, with Ronald Wilson Reagan, famous actor and union president in a distant second with just over 20% of the vote, and an even more distant third gus ha-' He stopped himself from saying that, Gus Hall, THE Gus hall? the guy who organized the Little Steel strike of '37? What the hell was he doing in the Democratic primaries? Seriously what?

'And now for time for me to list all the other various candidates which didn't quite win what they hoped to win.'
He spends the next few minutes listing various democratic and republican candidates and what % of the vote they got in the primary. He realizes it is going to be a very long year.

Edited by A man from Colorado
  • Haha 1