The Political Lounge

AMPU: The Big Red Button (1960 Playtest)

Cal

@Mark_W @ShortKing @pman @bradleyg223

Joseph Kennedy Sr (JFK's daddy) has announced he is bankrolling a wide variety of candidates for Governor across the country.

Behind the scenes, he notifies each Blue faction leader that he will withdraw from any 3 governor races the faction leader desires, in exchange for the faction leader withdrawing their major and minor candidates from the President race if they endorse JFK.

New Hampshire has made it obvious JFK is the clear choice of the people.  It is time to unite against the Republican nominee!

OOC:  If you drop out and endorse JFK, I'll withdraw from 3 governors elections -- you pick which 3.

Note that, naturally, as it becomes more clear that JFK will win from racked-up primary wins and delegate pledges, this offer will evaporate.  Limited time only, get in while the getting is good! ;c)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Joseph Kennedy Sr (JFK's daddy) has announced he is bankrolling a wide variety of candidates for Governor across the country.

Behind the scenes, he notifies each Blue faction leader that he will withdraw from any 3 governor races the faction leader desires, in exchange for the faction leader withdrawing their major and minor candidates from the President race if they endorse JFK.

New Hampshire has made it obvious JFK is the clear choice of the people.  It is time to unite against the Republican nominee!

OOC:  If you drop out and endorse JFK, I'll withdraw from 3 governors elections -- you pick which 3.

Note that, naturally, as it becomes more clear that JFK will win from racked-up primary wins and delegate pledges, this offer will evaporate.  Limited time only, get in while the getting is good! ;c)

Joseph Kennedy Sr is now bankrolling Senate candidates too, including challengers to the incumbents.  Any faction leader that has their Presidential candidates drop out and endorse JFK can choose three Senate races for Kennedy Sr to withdraw from.

OOC:  If you drop out and endorse JFK, I'll withdraw from 3 Senate elections -- you pick which 3.

Yes, you can intermix this with Governor races, but only 3 races total.  2 Senate races and 1 Governor, 2 Governor races and 1 Senate, 3 Governors, 3 Senators...you pick.  But a total of 3.

6 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Joseph Kennedy Sr is now bankrolling Senate candidates too, including challengers to the incumbents.  Any faction leader that has their Presidential candidates drop out and endorse JFK can choose three Senate races for Kennedy Sr to withdraw from.

OOC:  If you drop out and endorse JFK, I'll withdraw from 3 Senate elections -- you pick which 3.

Yes, you can intermix this with Governor races, but only 3 races total.  2 Senate races and 1 Governor, 2 Governor races and 1 Senate, 3 Governors, 3 Senators...you pick.  But a total of 3.

So since it's late at night and I'm tired, I just now realized you purposefully ran challengers to incumbents to make this blackmail possible instead of just happening to have challengers, lol.

• Haha 1

The Democratic Debate

The Democratic Debate was fierce. With the minor candidates out of the way, the frontrunners could trade blows. Senator Kennedy seemed to be in control for most of the debate, but, in the final leg of the debate, it all changed. Senator Kefauver drilled the charismatic politician on just how qualified he actually IS to hold the position. Kefauver argued that the nomination should go towards someone with a track record of representing the American people -- someone like him. 

Kefauver wins the debate! And Humphrey loses. +1 tp Kefauver in Primary Group 2.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In the scandal phase, it is discovered that John Bricker siphoned state funds to his own personal bank account while Governor of Ohio. He gains Controversial, and a -2 in primaries for the next phase.

Debate winner Estes Kefauver is accused of sexual misconduct. While the allegations would be proven to be baseless, he gets a -1 in the next primary group, cancelling out his momentum from the debate win.

• Like 2

Primary Group 2: Republican Primary

In Wisconsin, General MacArthur walks away the victor with a healthy lead over the nearest competitor, former President Herbert Hoover. The general notably did not even compete in the state, marking an incredibly showing of support for one of America's most renown heroes. 

However, In Illinois, the Republican primary continued to grow more complicated with the Rockefeller-aligned businessman Charles Percy winning the entirety of the state's delegation with a more narrow victory over General MacArthur. No one expected the liberal Republican to win here, so this will surely be a huge boost to his campaign. 

Charles Percy won the most delegates in Primary Phase 2, so he gets +1 in the next primary group and Liberal enthusiasm moves +1 towards the Red Team. He also loses Obscure, becomes a major candidate, and the Republican frontrunner for the presidential nomination. 

For losing as the frontrunner, Former President Herbert Hoover gets -1 in Primary Group 3, and Moderate Enthusiasm moves +1 towards the Democratic Party. 

Primary Group 2: Democratic Primary

In Wisconsin, the ultimate comeback story is told with Senator Hubert Humphrey, in a razor thin margin, prevailing over Senator John Kennedy. 

In Illinois, Ronald Reagan takes the full amount of the delegates with a small lead over the two nearest competitors, Senator JFK and Adlai Stevenson II. The actor has proven that despite his seeming Republican leanings with some earlier support for Nixon, he is in it to win it for the Democrats now.

Ronald Reagan won the most delegates in Primary Phase 2, so Conservative enthusiasm moves +1 towards the Blue Team. Ronald Reagan is now the Democratic frontrunner for the presidential nomination. Reagan gets +1 in Primary Group 3.

For losing as the frontrunner, Senator Kennedy moves Moderate Enthusiasm +1 back towards the Red Team. 

Action to all players for presidential campaign actions. @MrPotatoTed @Vols21 @pman @OrangeP47 @Lars @bradleyg223 @Ich_bin_Tyler @Mark_W @ShortKing @Willthescout7

Edited by Cal
  • Like 1
  • Based 2

1 hour ago, Cal said:

In the scandal phase, it is discovered that John Bricker siphoned state funds to his own personal bank account while Governor of Ohio. He gains Controversial, and a -2 in primaries for the next phase.

John Bricker holds a Press Conference in Columbus Ohio:

"This a baseless claim from my enemies on the left.   They have been upset ever since I refused to convene the state legislature to allocate funding to Cleveland relief programs 20 years ago.  They tried to say then that I funneled the money to personal accounts, but that was just untrue.  It is no surprise that Nelson Rockfeller and his lacky Charles Percy would dredge this up and feed it to their minions in the liberal press.   I'm sure they will get a lot of airtime in the upcoming Northeast primary states, but we will continue to fight the good fight and remind the American people that our strong conservative principles are what our country needs right now.   When the primaries come to the Midwest in May, the voters will be heard."

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Arkansas Progressive said:

GALLUP's PRIMARY PROJECTIONS

Group 3 - Democrats
New Jersey - Adlai E. Stevenson II
Massachusetts - Adlai E. Stevenson II

Group 3 - Republicans
New Jersey - Douglas MacArthur
Massachusetts - Herbert Hoover

Secondary Democratic Projections, initial software was buggy

Group 3 - Democrats
New Jersey - Ronald Reagan
Massachusetts - John F. Kennedy

• Based 1

2 minutes ago, Willthescout7 said:

MacArthur's Primary actions:

1. I will promise the position of VP to Thomas Dewey @Lars

2. I will make a major policy speech

I will be doing a campaign focus on a state, I just need to decide which one in the morning. I should be asleep right now ha

Dewey accepts this offer. The technocrats hope for a long and prosperous friendship.