• Chuck Edwards
    • Other
  4. 4. CO-3 Republican Primary

5. 5. GA-14 Republican Primary

• Marjorie Taylor Greene
    • Jennifer Strahan
    • Other

2 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Within my university for example women and disabled people are hired on a preferred basis. Another university prefers colored people. I think that's a wrong approach, maybe disabled people can be excluded here. I don't know how hard it's for them to find a job so maybe this programs can be justified?! I guess I've read the demand to include LGBT people on top when hiring somewhere, but maybe I am wrong Idk. 

To be fair, while I do think men and women should be compared for jobs on an equal basis of merits, depending on the disability it may be difficult for a disabled person to find work with a merits-only hiring system. So, while it would be relatively easy for a non-disabled person to find work outside of the university, it can be valuable to provide a disabled person work they may not find elsewhere, as long as they're capable enough to complete the job. But overall affirmative action in hiring isn't a concern of mine, as I described most companies do not consider a person's sexual preference or identity when hiring, and while I do think your university's hiring practices do sound misguided, it is not at all a systemic issue in employment that women are preferred over men for job openings, and giving disabled people an opportunity to work is fine with me.

• Based 1

17 minutes ago, Patine said:

Now THIS is a segregation era term for non-Whites (or, in Apartheid South Africa, people of mixed racial heritage). And while the Progressive term for non-White (and, often, de facto, non-East Asian) people is the grammatical case order away that is, "people of colour," that is a major, major distinction, in terminology.

Oh wow colored people or people of color. You remember English is not my first language? You don't have to interpret everything in a way in which I am the most evil being.

Also, I just want to say that stating, "maybe disabled people can be excluded here" is way worse than a university giving preference to disabled people in hiring. Even if you want a merits-only hiring system, disabled people can still be very capable and excellent employees depending on the job, and even those hired with preference can still be great workers.

4 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Oh wow colored people or people of color. You remember English is not my first language? You don't have to interpret everything in a way in which I am the most evil being.

What is your first language, if you don't mind my asking? Technically, my first language is Spanish, but I've forgotten so much of it, I'm having to relearn it now.

3 minutes ago, ConservativeElector2 said:

Like I meant disabled people are the only group I might favor affirmative action for. Excluded from the list who should not.

Oh okay, I misunderstood you then, my bad.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Blood said:

Oh okay, I misunderstood you then, my bad.

No problem. As I said English is not my first language and sometimes my expressions seem to be understood differently to what I intended to say. Maybe I am just bad at articulating my thoughts regardless of the language I talk in hehe 

1 hour ago, Patine said:

There was a poster on 270soft who did not follow us here who had the bad and annoying habit of such anecdotal arguments down to the habitual.

im curious which poster lives in patine's head rent free enough that he is bringing em up in April of 2022

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Patine said:

So I do know your mother tongue, and that similar linguistic twists to distinguish such things are used in it, from time to time, too. Nice try!

Oh and again you accuse me of using a word, which might be considered a racial slur compared to the other one, intentionally. 

But you may not know that both, colored people or people of color, do not have an exact and distinguishing equivalent in the German language. The only thing that comes close is "Farbige (Personen)" in plural . That translates obviously best with 'colored people'.

"Personen der Farbe" or whatever the exact translation of 'people of color' might be, is just a non existing word-by-word nonsense translation. So yes colored people and people of color have only one translation in German. You claim to know this language better than I do while also implying more meaning into something completely random.

On a side note, some people believe the word race (Rasse in German) is racist. In English it's completely fine from what I can observe, so yeah languages are different.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Patine said:

And calling her Anti-Semitic is odd, as Somalis, like Jews, Arabs, Assyrians, Amhara, Tigrayans, and some others, are a Semitic people. But, unfortunately, the term Anti-Semitic is used far more in a political sense than a sense of true cultural bigotry nowadays (although the latter does definitely still happen - and it is still odd, by definition, when Arabs and Somalis get accused of it).

I've heard Jew-hatred as a better substitute, though the proposer was the controversial (terrorist?) rabbi Meir Kahane.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Patine said:

A conjured tourist trap is not THE North Pole. You've fallen for commercial chicanery and hoodwinks. Damn those lying plutocrats! 😛 

North Pole - Wikipedia

7 hours ago, Patine said:

Santa Claus is not an American citizen or resident. The United States' maritime boundaries do not reach the North Pole. Only Canada's do, of sovereign nations in the world. 😛 

https://thehill.com/news/state-watch/3275609-santa-claus-is-coming-to-congress/

6 hours ago, Hestia said:

There is no equivalency. I wouldn't vote for Omar in a primary, but she is probably the most controversial member of the squad. MTG has said worse anti-Semitic things than her, even. AOC is absolutely no way similar. That's just a lame excuse.

Well, I would say they (MTG and Omar) are both bad except that MTG is definitely more wacko and less intelligent.

I'd say white supremacists are supportive of both since David Duke has openly praised Ilhan Omar.

https://apnews.com/article/race-and-ethnicity-racial-injustice-david-duke-a97b8b2d48c163c5965c2574ccbbe3d3

(and this is not the only time he has)

AOC is better than either, though I strong dislike her.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Timur said:

Well, I would say they (MTG and Omar) are both bad except that MTG is definitely more wacko and less intelligent.

I'd say white supremacists are supportive of both since David Duke has openly praised Ilhan Omar.

https://apnews.com/article/race-and-ethnicity-racial-injustice-david-duke-a97b8b2d48c163c5965c2574ccbbe3d3

(and this is not the only time he has)

AOC is better than either, though I strong dislike her.

Yeah they're definitely both bad. Don't want either in Congress. MTG, however, is worse. 

8 hours ago, Patine said:

And calling her Anti-Semitic is odd, as Somalis, like Jews, Arabs, Assyrians, Amhara, Tigrayans, and some others, are a Semitic people. But, unfortunately, the term Anti-Semitic is used far more in a political sense than a sense of true cultural bigotry nowadays (although the latter does definitely still happen - and it is still odd, by definition, when Arabs and Somalis get accused of it).

Language evolves, though. Not to mention, the term anti-Semitic has always exclusively referred to Jewish people.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Patine said:

But it's politicization over true bigotry in common usage of late does kill a lot of credibility in it's use, really. And, the fact that the Hungarian sociologist from the late 18th/early 19th Century who coined the term was VERY MUCH guilty of the sin it indicates, himself. And, the only reason Arabs and peoples from the Horn of Africa were not included, by definition, was because Arabs were largely targets of Orientalism and Islamophobia, and people from the Horn of Africa were - well, I'm sorry to say by the prejudices of the day - Africans, and linguistics and ethnology were in a much more rudimentary form as areas of study. I still think the term warrants retiring and replacing, like Orientalism pretty much has been.

I think you're referring to Moritz Steinschneider who himself was Jewish.

Also, I don't think that Europeans of the 18th or 19th century had as much contact with Arabs as they did with Jews.

Somewhat out of context, they used to call Muslims, "Mohammedens," "Mahometans," "Mosulmen," "Turks," etc.

On 4/25/2022 at 4:59 PM, Patine said:

It's probably not who you think it is. And it's not someone I mention or dwell on often, at all. They just happened to be relevant in this case.

clearly think of them enough to remember them in april of 2022, long after the 270 migration

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Perhaps it's just clear memory rather than obsession. But that doesn't suit your clowinsh narrative, does it? Quite unfortunate that a sense of perspective and proportion isn't your thing...

bold to say I'm claiming there's an obsession going on here; weird to bring it up an "obsession" out of thin air if it's not the case

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it's possible that Madison Cawthorn could lose his seat in the primary.  He's polling 38% (down from his 50-60%) compared to Chuck Edwards's 21%. 21% are supporting other candidates, while another 21% are undecided.

• 2 weeks later...