The Political Lounge

HOI4 Tips

DakotaHale

Just now, Pringles said:

You must play a lot of Germany. 😛 

But nah, you're right. They're cheap. And they can do damage. I just prefer to have a more organized, capital ship focused fleet unless I'm playing Germany really. 

I'm actually fairly certain the major I've played the least is Germany: always found it a bit tacky and boring to do the same playthrough a fifteenth time. Although my pro-sub bias probably has something to do with how many minors I play, since they don't have much naval production power to make anything else.

• Based 1

1 minute ago, DakotaHale said:

Wait... Air wings attach to infantry divisions? What's the difference between doing that and deploying them from the air base?

Attaching them to infantry is just kind of an automatic way to have those planes follow them and help. 

Usually it's not something I ever use. I like to have airplane stacks in AF's and control them myself. 

4 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Promoting generals. Based or useless?

depends on your current general situation, but USUALLY useless, at least in my experience

7 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Also I've used two generals to protect Hawaii and the other islands. I set them to area defense and have 10 troops on Hawaii, and 18 scattered to all of the random islands that the US owns. They've been able to prevent any naval invasions so far. I also have 36 divisions in the Philippines and they have been good so far as well. Is this a good strat or is there a better way to defend all these places with less manpower?

Forts on ports and key points really help

23 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Also another dumb question. Why are my patrol task forces patrolling, but my strike force guys are docked? Do they only come out of the docks when the patrol guys see someone?

When one gets good at Navy.... this is what it should look like. 😛 

4s5eedrxksk71.png?width=790&format=png&auto=webp&s=3f0ff00bd0be31dc585fd21dc93c5b8e6806b723

34 minutes ago, Patine said:

How do they determine battle names, BTW? I can find no mention of a geographical location called, "Tomilhafen," in an Internet search. I'm just curious.

The sea/bay/harbor it takes place in. Tomil Hafen is apparently a harbor in Micronesia

I'm doing pretty good now. Kicking Japan's ass in the sea and air and also took Taiwan and Okinawa (Iwo Jima next, and then probably mainland). Also nuked every province of theirs. Epic. And yes micro-ing from air bases is far superior to doing it via attaching to army.

• Based 1

4 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I'm doing pretty good now. Kicking Japan's ass in the sea and air and also took Taiwan and Okinawa (Iwo Jima next, and then probably mainland). Also nuked every province of theirs. Epic. And yes micro-ing from air bases is far superior to doing it via attaching to army.

You have ascended. As General MacArthur would say: "I have returned."

Gen. MacArthur | /r/HistoryMemes | Know Your Meme

• Based 1

17 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

I was watching part of the game in observer mode while working on AMPU. Mexico declared war on the US. I think I saw Mexico City get nuked twice. Somehow Mexico didn't surrender. They were down to the Mexico City province, when I flipped back to working on AMPU. About 15 minute later, I look back, and Mexico got all their territory back and were invading Texas! I assumed some message popped up that said, "General, they're breeding faster than we can kill 'em, " and then all of a sudden the US forces start getting pushed back or something. Anyway. I scrolled up to Canada and saw that the US was also invading Canada and must have been focusing on Canada and gave up on Mexico or something. Ultimately, the Nazi's joined Mexico and invaded the US. Mexico regained their old Mexican territory and the Nazis keep the rest occupied. I forget what happened to Canada. I stopped observing this one because soon after this, nothing was happening. It's like the world was okay with Nazis in two hemispheres in 1948. 

• Haha 1
  • Based 1

Booting up an America game. Haven't played them in forever. Will post epic screenshots of the destruction of the Imperial Japanese Navy when the time comes. 😎

Did anybody try the Red World, Milennium Dawn, or Modern mods?

16 hours ago, Timur said:

Did anybody try the Red World, Milennium Dawn, or Modern mods?

Yes the latest Millennium Dawn is great

2 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Scout planes are basically useless right? Also how effective are mines and can they hinder my own ships?

I don't use scout planes much but they're so cheap if you just build them with 1 factory, you can set up a small amount in an area where you're fighting and you'll see intel on the area, soldier movements, etc. And in combat, you'll get a small recon bonus. So there's no real downside to using them, there's no real major boost if you do as well. Just a cool, helpful little feature. 

Mines are good if you lay them in an area where you know the enemy is going. (Like laying a shit ton of mines just outside of Japan) And they won't hurt your own ships. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, DakotaHale said:

Scout planes are basically useless right? Also how effective are mines and can they hinder my own ships?

Mines can be devastating if you place enough of them in the proper places. And the hassle of creating mine sweepers is very annoying.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, DakotaHale said:

Or should I phase the old factories to the newer guns when it gets full efficiency in production.

yes.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1