The Political Lounge

I guess Americans don't like Trump or Biden

Timur

• Timur changed the title to I guess Americans don't like Trump or Biden
38 minutes ago, Patine said:

The grandson of Prescott Bush, the son of George H.W. Bush, and the younger brother of George W. Bush? One would be naive to expect his family heritage to be at all an irrelevance. It's a political family as rotten as the Samosas and the Bhuttos were.

Ah yes, Benazir Bhutto, the feminist prime minister who supported the Taliban.

What a contradiction...

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Is that sardonic humour?

No. If it was who I really wanted it'd have been Ron Paul and Bernie Sanders but in 2016. Don't think Hickenlooper has a chance. Tulsi has faded. Any of the people I'd really want just don't have the chance or are too old. So settling for two who I think could handle the job. 😕

1 hour ago, Patine said:

My point is, first, they're both from the same home State, and second, Pence came on the radar, politically and nationally, with a State law that allowed - and practically, by tenor, encouraged - businesses to deny service to people whom, "the morally of their lifestyle they disagreed with," (a big call out for LGBTQ people) with no possibility of legal reprocussions, while Buttigieg was the first openly gay man to make a high profile bid for U.S. President. Do you see why I might have thought your statement was sardonic humour, from that perspective?

Yeah I get it! I think, unfortunately, regardless of who the two nominees end up being there will be some twisted humor to be found

I think if I could have a close-to-ideal ticket, it would be a Sanders-Warren ticket, but they're too old. So, I'd probably favor Ro Khanna-Sherrod Brown. The downside to this ticket is that Ro Khanna's name would probably turn people off; however, it didn't hurt Barack Obama, although Obama is Obama. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

I think if I could have a close-to-ideal ticket, it would be a Sanders-Warren ticket, but they're too old. So, I'd probably favor Ro Khanna-Sherrod Brown. The downside to this ticket is that Ro Khanna's name would probably turn people off; however, it didn't hurt Barack Obama, although Obama is Obama. 

I just checked about him being a possiblity for President. It's interesting that he will take interviews from all over the place.

"He does late-night TV and mainstream TV and partisan TV. Ben Shapiro, Katie Halper, Michael Moore, Brian Kilmeade, Christian Broadcast Network — he’s done them all. He’ll join your podcast, your radio show, he’ll come to you live via Fox, MSNBC — whatever you watch." - Politico

Obviously related to age.  I think if Biden were still in his 60s, there'd be very few people calling for a moderate independent when Biden is a moderate himself.  I think this is just a clear reaction of "Hey, maybe we're tempting fate by consistently electing the people who are closest to imminent death within the next 4-8 years."

So, not a "We don't like Biden" poll, but a "Hey, this age thing is getting out of hand" poll.

That said, if Trump is the Republican nominee, I want the independent to be a conservative.  Siphon those votes!

On 4/27/2022 at 7:55 PM, vcczar said:

I just spent yesterday with Sherrod Brown, for work.  He's very good people, but zero chance he runs.

• Agree 1

Another person I think has all the potential in the world but not enough ambition to actually run is Denis McDonough.  He was Obama's Deputy National Security Advisor and then served as Obama's Chief of Staff for the entire second term.  Now he's Biden's Secretary of the VA.  I've worked with a TON of cabinet Secretaries, and I mostly have good things to say about all of them.  But McDonough is easily the one I'd be quickest to support for the Presidency.

16 minutes ago, Patine said:

Well, I don't think it's just Papal Conclave-style age of candidates, though. I think there are REALLY a large number of Americans who don't want to face another ballot choice of Biden vs. Trump, or even younger, direct ideological heirs, to be honest.

But...the poll says they want a moderate.  That is largely a Biden ideological heir.

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I just spent yesterday with Sherrod Brown, for work.  He's very good people, but zero chance he runs.

I can attest to this, Sherrod Brown is the real deal, I had the opportunity to meet him 3 times, ( once in Summer of 2017, again in October 2018 and again in 2020) all times he remembered my name and was very easy to talk to. 

• Like 1
  • Based 1

3 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

As someone who voted for Biden in part because he positioned himself as a moderate, I do not consider his governing record to be particularly moderate. 

You and I are in the same boat. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

I agree fully on his record versus electoral portrayal. MrPotatoTed is obviously in disagreement with all of us, though. His auld lang syne to the moderates that are no longer moderates, but he can't accept it.

Alright I gotta give it to ya, that made me laugh. I 😂

• Like 1

Moderate conservatives think Biden has been too liberal. Liberals think Biden has been too conservative. To me, it means that he's probably been somewhere in the center-left field that I figured he would be in. He has had to adapt to the playing field of Congress, which makes sense 

• Agree 1