The Political Lounge

If you were a US Senator Poll...

vcczar

If you were a US Senator Poll...  

20 members have voted

1. 1. I will likely have won election as a... (assume it would have been impossible for you to win as Green or Libertarian, as is the case in real life).

• Democrat
    • Republican
    • Independent
  2. 2. My public support of Joe Biden is....

• Strongly support
    • Support with some reservations
    • Reluctant support
    • Reluctant oppose
    • Oppose with some reservations
    • Strongly oppose
  3. 3. My public stance on Fmr Pres. Trump

• Strongly support
    • Support with some reservations
    • Reluctant support
    • Reluctant oppose
    • Oppose with some reservations
    • Strongly oppose
  4. 4. How do you vote: A bill for federal funding for Planned Parenthood

5. 5. How do you vote: A bill extending and strengthening anti-discrimination protections for transgendered citizens

6. 6. How do you vote: A bill for the federal government to recognize all forms of gender identity

7. 7. How do you vote: A bill mandating that marital rape be treated with the same severity as non-marital rape

8. 8. How do you vote: A bill applying stronger regulations and punishments on hate speech

9. 9. How do you vote: A bill requiring public universities and public high schools to teach critical race theory

10. 10. How do you vote: A bill requiring the removal of all monuments to the Confederate States of America

11. 11. How do you vote: A bill requiring affirmative action in regards to race and gender in the promotion and appointment of top military positions

12. 12. How do you vote: A bill creating a Universal Basic Income

13. 13. How do you vote: A bill that will abolish student loan debt for former students that qualify for income-based repayment (i.e. poor) after 10 years of reliable payment.

14. 14. How do you vote: A bill reducing defense spending by 20%

15. 15. How do you vote: A bill making gerrymandering illegal and redistricting the districts along non-partisan US Census lines

16. 16. How do you vote: A bill expanding the Supreme Court by allowing a president to appoint a new judge every 4 years, regardless of the number on the court.

17. 17. How do you vote: A bill making Election Day a national holiday and as a tax write off (reverse poll tax)

18. 18. How do you vote: A bill requiring that women are paid the same as men for the same work

19. 19. How do you vote: A bill converting Obamacare to Single-payer, universal healthcare (SandersCare)

20. 20. How do you vote: A bill making immigration from the Southern border as lenient as immigration from the northern border (anti-discrimination immigration act).

21. 21. How do you vote: A bill banning fracking

22. 22. How do you vote: The Green New Deal

23. 23. How do you vote: Abolish private prisons

24. 24. How do you vote: A bill towards an amendment to abolish the electoral college

25. 25. How do you vote: A bill stripping former President Trump of all benefits and dignities given to a former president

26. 26. How do you vote: A bill requiring transparency of taxation, mental and physical health, education, etc. of all candidates for federal office

27. 27. How do you vote: A bill subsidizing the creation of the fasted bullet train rail system the world has ever seen--all with alternative energy

28. 28. How do you vote: A bill formally condemning Vladimir Putin and Russian aggression via Ukraine

29. 29. How do you vote: A bill to expel incumbent federal politicians who were shown to encourage and support the Jan 6th Insurrection

I wanted to ask more questions but got other things to do. Sorry that I don't elaborate. I only have so much space and time. All legislation is basically left-leaning because Democrats control the Presidency, House, and Senate. Also, this forum is liberal-dominated. Let's see how government and life would change if we determined law! 

For 19: Present at the moment, because I support single-payer in theory, but refuse to vote it into law without first doing something to lower health care costs. 

Edited by Rezi

I voted as if I were an actual senator. As I would have a public and private position on some things... 😛 

For number 18 that is a bit too vague for me to give a definitive answer on... because there's so many variables into pay that are considered. Overall, I would vote no if we're taking that at face value. 

1. Republican

2. Strong Oppose

3. Support with conditions

4. No

5. No (federal overreach)

6. No

7. No (federal overreach)

8. No. You don't believe in free speech if you are for restricting "hate speech." Plus, that opens up the door for anything to be labeled "hate speech" in order to shut it down. Clear 1st Amendment violation.

9. No (federal overreach)

10. No (federal overreach) And I don't support taking them down at the state/local level either

11. No

12. No

13. No

14. No, but I would be willing to change depending on how the bill is laid out (including duration of cuts and where cuts are being imposed)

15. No. I have yet to see a "fair and non-partisian" way to draw lines

16. No

17. No

18. No (already a law but still federal overreach)

19. No

20. No

21. No

22. No

23. No

24. No

25. No. Probably a constitutional violation to single out one person to not give "earned" benefits to. Also, probably a contractual problem as well. And it is not a good precedent to target political opponents in this manner.

26. No

27. No

28. No but I could switch depending on the specific language. These types of things typically have other hidden provisions that are problematic

29. No. One cannot claim to support democratic principles and support this. Additionally, it is a terrible precedent to set (it would be very easy to turn the tables on democrats who supported the BLM riots).

As I suspected, Mr. No (like Thomas Massie)!

• Like 1
  • Based 2

11 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Not a fan of him, but I guess you can have em! 😛 

I'll kick back in my Lindsey Graham role... 😛 

ICYMI: Graham gets a new 'Saturday Night Live' impersonator - Charleston  City Paper

20 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

All your votes make sense considering you are a cookie-cutter Massie voter, but I am baffled why anyone would vote nay on the marital rape bill. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

All your votes make sense considering you are a cookie-cutter Massie voter, but I am baffled why anyone would vote nay on the marital rape bill. 

I am not a cookie-cutter Massie voter, he just happens to be the rep who I am most similar to currently in office. If you want to go super in-depth, I guarantee there are votes we would differ on.

I voted no on the marital rape bill because that is not a crime which the federal government has the constitutional authority to punish.  It is something that is proper for states to address, not Congress. This proposal would be another power grab from the states (which handle rape at this time).

Edited by jvikings1
  • Based 2

3 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

My present votes were mostly “I’d need to see the exact wording of the bill” as it could be interpreted a few ways.

Yea, I voted yes or no on everything but a few are just too vague that the exact wording would make or break my vote

4 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Pull every public school child’s name into a hat and pull one at random.  Give them some crayons and let them have at it.

Better yet, just abolish all lines and elect them at-large at every state. Some countries do that. If we are going to have districts, I would just hand them over to a non-partisan commission or have the third parties (Libertarian, Green, Constitution, etc.) draw them for us. Surely, their borders will be more reasonable.

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

I'm kind of surprised there's as many Republicans on the forum. I really thought the forum was like 75%-80% left-leaners. 

You can lean left and be a Republican, I'm one. I'm registered Republican despite most often voting blue or gold. 

As far as this poll goes, I thought about selecting independent but state wide I'd have to be Republican, my congressional district I could probably be independent.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 9 I voted present because while I have read some on CRT and don't think it's the boogeyman of racist thought the GOP makes it out to be, I would still want the opinion of professionals and those in education before making that mandatory change to the curriculum. 

On 19 I voted yea simply because a single-payer system would be a massive step-up from the current healthcare system. However, I am open to the idea of Medicare-For-All-Who-Want-It, I think outlawing private coverage outright is an overstep for people who would prefer that coverage. But M4A would provide very comprehensive coverage, so I'm not going to stand in the way of universal healthcare because of my concerns.

And on the Green New Deal, I believe action on Climate Change is urgent, and any action is better than nothing, but I have concerns about the AOC GND and think a better proposal could be drafted.