The Political Lounge

2024 Draft Game

MrPotatoTed

2 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Totally agree.  I think it's 80% Donald Trump, 19% Ron DeSantis.

I think there's a lot of ambitious GOPers who can see DeSantis is a paper tiger. Pull something on him like what happened to Rubio at the debates, and he's done for. I don't see him performing well under the lime-light. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ShortKing said:

Next on my list is Nikki Haley. She's had some missteps, and is a little too transparent with the way she will flip flop on just how supportive of Trump she is at any given moment, but she commands respect from many in the GOP establishment, and it's notable that when it comes to Republican candidates in a swing state or district (think Young Kim or Glenn Youngkin), one of the first endorsements they look for is Nikki Haley's. Popular with the party faithful and persuadable voters, Haley has a clear, albeit narrow, path to either spot on the 2024 ticket.

Action to @MrPotatoTed

I agree.  At minimum, I think she's got VP potential. Solid pick.

For the second round, I'll choose Texas Governor Greg Abbott.  Banning same-sex marriage, displaying the 10 amendments, invalidating the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), overturning environmental regulations, relaxing gun restriction laws, unprecedented crackdown on abortion, generally supported Trump, and basically ignored COVID-19 as Governor.  He's got professional times to W. Bush and Rudy Giuliani.  His entire career is just check-check-check-check straight down the Republican Presidential playbook.  

For the first pick of the third round...not sure yet.  Thinking...

• Like 1

I'll go with Asa Hutchinson. He'll no longer be Governor by 2024, but has proven to be a fairly mainline Republican who can appeal to both sides of the party, and he's also expressed interest in running.

Action to @Hestia

• Like 1

For my next pick, I will be using a little bit of hometown bias but I generally think that she can do well if Trump doesn't run. I'll go with Iowa Senator Joni Ernst. She's smart, she can adapt on the fly, and doesn't have really a big record that people can tie her to being a RINO or a Trumpist. She could pretty much run on whatever she likes. Basically - a better Nikki Haley. She comes from an early state and could use that to basically artificially catapult her to the top of the list of candidates.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Hestia said:

For my next pick, I will be using a little bit of hometown bias but I generally think that she can do well if Trump doesn't run. I'll go with Iowa Senator Joni Ernst. She's smart, she can adapt on the fly, and doesn't have really a big record that people can tie her to being a RINO or a Trumpist. She could pretty much run on whatever she likes. Basically - a better Nikki Haley. She comes from an early state and could use that to basically artificially catapult her to the top of the list of candidates.

Action still to you for your final pick (you get two in a row due to the snake draft)

1 minute ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Action still to you for your final pick (you get two in a row due to the snake draft)

I wasn't sure so I left it open haha 😄 

Alright for second pick, we're going to go with Florida Sen. Marco Rubio. Obviously he does want to run for President, but the first time didn't go so well. I think he would have learned from that experience and may be able to do better this time. Latinos are starting to be a group that Republicans are doing better with, and Rubio could potentially tap into that and increase the GOP's numbers. He straddles the line between Trumpist and Never-Trumper, so he could do poorly if the other side ends up viewing him as one or the other. 

I believe back to @Rezi

• Like 2

@MrPotatoTed Wondering if you saw the Pete election doc on Amazon Prime? It was really good and made me like him alot more, Enough to make him my 2nd most favorite liberal politician (1st is Obama- Doesn't include progressives) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, themiddlepolitical said:

@MrPotatoTed Wondering if you saw the Pete election doc on Amazon Prime? It was really good and made me like him alot more, Enough to make him my 2nd most favorite liberal politician (1st is Obama- Doesn't include progressives) 

I haven't, don't have Amazon Prime.  But I'll look into it!

• Based 1

6 hours ago, vcczar said:

I'll do my analysis of your picks if someone builds a chart of them when you are all done, sort of like how FiveThirtyEight builds a chart after they do this exercise 

While we wait on @Rezi for the end of the Republican draft, here's how the Blue draft worked out:

ShortKing: Joe Biden, Gretchen Whitmer, Elizabeth Warren, Roy Cooper

Hestia: Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, Raphael Warnock, Tammy Duckworth

Me: Pete Buttigieg, Alexandria Ocasio Cortez, Bernie Sanders, Matthew McConaughey

Rezi: Stacey Abrams, Ro Khanna, Andy Beshear, Jared Polis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPotatoTed said:

While we wait on @Rezi for the end of the Republican draft, here's how the Blue draft worked out:

ShortKing: Joe Biden, Gretchen Whitmer, Elizabeth Warren, Roy Cooper

Hestia: Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, Raphael Warnock, Tammy Duckworth

Me: Pete Buttigieg, Alexandria Ocasio Cortez, Bernie Sanders, Matthew McConaughey

Rezi: Stacey Abrams, Ro Khanna, Andy Beshear, Jared Polis

If Biden runs, I see only AOC, Sanders, McConaughey, Khanna possibly running. I could see Abrams too, but only if Biden is really unpopular.

If Biden doesn't run -- Whitmer, Warren, Harris, Buttigieg, AOC, Abrams. Possibly, Sanders and Khanna and McConaughey. I think of these, it could be down to Whitmer, Harris, Buttigieg, and AOC, possibly in that order, but I could see it actually in any order. 

I can't see those I've left out running in any scenario really.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

If Biden runs, I see only AOC, Sanders, McConaughey, Khanna possibly running. I could see Abrams too, but only if Biden is really unpopular.

If Biden doesn't run -- Whitmer, Warren, Harris, Buttigieg, AOC, Abrams. Possibly, Sanders and Khanna and McConaughey. I think of these, it could be down to Whitmer, Harris, Buttigieg, and AOC, possibly in that order, but I could see it actually in any order. 

I can't see those I've left out running in any scenario really.

I can't see anyone running publicly if Biden runs.  I do think there might be some running quietly behind the scenes -- trying to convince Biden to not run (or if he is running, to drop out) so younger, healthier candidates can compete -- but I don't think he'd agree to that.

my next pick for 2024 GOP nominee is Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin. He flipped a Biden+10 state and improved upon Trump margins in rural SWVA. Term-limited out for VA gov in 2025, there’s a lot of upside for a Presidential run, and even if he loses, he’ll make any shortlist for VP and most Cabinet spots.

Action to @MrPotatoTed

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I can't see anyone running publicly if Biden runs.  I do think there might be some running quietly behind the scenes -- trying to convince Biden to not run (or if he is running, to drop out) so younger, healthier candidates can compete -- but I don't think he'd agree to that.

But Ted, two-time Congressional primary loser Nina Turner is ready to take on Joe!!!! This is a very important bid we all need to take seriously! Joking aside, yeah, right now I don't think anyone serious will challenge Joe, and with Trump almost certain to run, Joe will feel compelled to run as well. At least that's the dynamic I see right now.

Edited by The Blood
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, vcczar said:

So we agree I have the strongest draft is what I'm hearing

Just remembered action was to me. 

With my last pick of the Republican draft...I choose Matthew McConaughey!  Ha.  Mostly because it's definitely going to be Trump or DeSantis, so pick number 16 is beyond slim pickings, and also Matthew hasn't said if he'd be a Democrat or a Republican, but mostly because it's funny to have the same guy in both party's drafts.

• Like 1