The Political Lounge

Post-AMPU Game Ideas

vcczar

On 5/7/2022 at 11:18 AM, vcczar said:

Golden Age of Hollywood. This game will be set in the late 1920s through the 1930s. You lead one of the major Hollywood production companies and your goal is to build and maintain the most successful movie company. The game starts as talking movies replace silent movies. 

Western Philosophy. I imagine this game somewhat resembling Orbi Universo (see the game on Steam) but also have some resemblance to a card game. The game will focus on Western Philosophy and involve philosophers, their philosophies and primarily how one person, school of thought, idea(s), influence others. I haven't thought this one out too much yet, but I like a game focusing in this area.

Politics of the French Revolution and Napoleon. We have tons of military-focused games in these areas, but none on politics and domestic events. This game would focus on things that happen in France. It would operate kind of like AMPU but cover fewer years. It would probably cover 1789-1815 with the possibility of the game extending longer if France wins the Napoleonic Wars. It's so much like AMPU that I'm not eager to make it at the moment

Thirty Years War Game that focuses on Diplomacy. Every game set during the 30 Years War (1618-1648), focuses on the military aspect with no attention paid to diplomacy. This game will focus on the government's non-military role to influence the outcome. Military will play a role, but the government's cannot control the military. They can set military policy and a rough strategy (invade Denmark or Defend Vienna), but the CPU generals will control the military aspect

Really like these 4, I'm addition to AMPU2. On the Hollywood one, are you envisioning a text-based version of The Movies limited to those 2 decades? Managing studio lot, developing actors and writers, etc. That's definitely a game I could get behind.

1 hour ago, 10centjimmy said:

On the Hollywood one, are you envisioning a text-based version of The Movies limited to those 2 decades? Managing studio lot, developing actors and writers, etc. That's definitely a game I could get behind.

Yeah, primarily text. The only visuals will be the faces of actors, and etc. I obviously can't get movie rights, I don't think. Maybe I can get movie stills, and etc., if I do this game.

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Yeah, primarily text. The only visuals will be the faces of actors, and etc. I obviously can't get movie rights, I don't think. Maybe I can get movie stills, and etc., if I do this game.

Public domain in US is like 95 years or something, so really only a couple years before the 20s are free :classic_biggrin:

I've been slowly working on the Golden Age of Hollywood and Western Philosophy games when taking a break from AMPU and my other two jobs. The Golden Age of Hollywood game will be rather simple to make. The most time-consuming part will be typing out all the actors, films, directors, etc. and filling them out. 

One thing that's interesting is that after the first talking picture (1927), you still have mostly silent movies in 1928. There's a almost a complete drop off in 1929, but you have some movies that were released both as silent and as talking, which suggestions some people weren't comfortable with movies talking, which is funny. Charlie Chaplin is a huge outlier. He's making silent films as late as 1936. 

• Like 1

I've been slowly working on the Golden Age of Hollywood game. I have just over 100 actors added. Here's some of the big names at game start (1928) for each studio:

MGM - Laurel & Hardy, Lon Cheney (Phantom of the Opera), Lilian Gish, Greta Garbo, Douglas Fairbanks, Buster Keaton

Paramount - WC Fields, William Powell, Harold Lloyd, Gary Cooper

Fox - John Wayne

United Artists - Charlie Chaplin, John Barrymore, Gloria Swanson

Universal - Boris Karloff (Frankenstein) and Bela Legosi (Dracula)

RKO - child star Mickey Rooney

Columbia - no big names added yet

Warner Bros - Al Jolson is the only big name so far--star of the first talking picture (1927)

free agents - Fatty Arbuckle, Mary Pickford, Basil Rathbone, Charles Laughton, Raymond Massey

I think @MrPotatoTed liked this game idea the most. Not sure when it will be made, but it has the most momentum this week. Also been working on the philosophy game. 

• Like 2