The Political Lounge

Questions of the Day (5/11/2022)

vcczar

Questions of the Day (5/11/2022)  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should Joe Biden run for reelection?

2. 2. Should Donald Trump run for for president in 2024?

3. 3. Should a more moderate Democrat (similar to Joe Manchin) challenge Biden for the nomination in 2024?

4. 4. Should a more Democrat (similar to AOC) challenge Biden for the nomination in 2024?

5. 5. If Trump runs for president, should all Republicans who supported Trump for president in 2020 (such as DeSantis or Cruz) refrain from challenging Trump for the nomination?

6. 6. If Trump runs for president, should all anti-Trump Republicans challenge Trump for the nomination?

7. 7. Who is more likely to win in 2024?

8. 8. Who is more likely to win in 2024?

• Generic Democrat who isn't Biden
    • Trump
  9. 9. Who is more likely to win in 2024?

• Biden
    • Generic Pro-Trump Republican
  10. 10. Who is more likely to win in 2024?

• Biden
    • Generic Anti-Trump Republican
  11. 11. Who is more likely to win in 2024?

• Generic Democrat
    • Generic Republican, whether pro-Trump or not
  12. 12. Who is Biden more likely to win against in 2024?

13. 13. Who is Biden most likely to lose against in 2024?

14. 14. Who is Trump most likely to win against in 2024?

15. 15. Who is Trump most likely to lose against in 2024?

• Biden
    • Harris
    • Buttigieg
    • AOC
  16. 16. Which of the following is likely to be true in November 2024? Check all that apply

• Inflation will be as bad or worse than it is now
    • COVID will be as bad or worse than it is now
    • Ukraine-Russian War will still be active
    • Biden will still be the incumbent going into election day
    • The GOP will control the US House going into election day
    • The GOP will control the US Senate going into election day
    • Biden will have faced an impeachment vote by election day
    • Biden will have announced he is not running for reelection
    • Trump will have announced that he is not running for president
    • Democratic odds at winning the 2024 election will have improved by Nov 2024
    • Republican odds at winning the 2024 election will have improved by Nov 2024
    • Third Party voting will be noticeably higher in 2024

I'm surprised the number of people who think the GOP will control the House for two years and not have voted to impeach Biden by election day. A non-insignificant number of House Republicans have already promised to do so, and while they may be loons tilting at windmills, I doubt McCarthy would do anything to stop the vote from reaching the floor.

51 minutes ago, Patine said:

Another Dotard-centred poll. And, again, the question - and you say I have a pessimistic, doom-and-gloom view of the future, eh?

I think if you're going to respond to polls(anyone not just you) you should have to take the poll first. (Mods? Whatcha think? Hah)

• Agree 6

34 minutes ago, Patine said:

Oh, yes, @Pringles, while you may disagree, because you tend to support the Establishment. But the way American politics and policy has been done for decades is no longer viable in the long-term, and the bad habits and abuses of it's Government, while I don't even think to compare them to overt, full-out tyrannies and dystopias (despite you and others accusing me of so doing) is starting to become obvious and break down in support. The U.S. is more sharply and viciously divided upon itself than it has been in well over a century, Americans trust their Government, on average, at a low point not reached since the '60''s, and the toxic level public discourse, peppered with ideological insults and absolutist stereotypes and evasive, useless, but ubiquitous buzzwords and catchphrases. This is not the time to support the Establishment and it's long-failed, self-serving, corporate-kowtowing agendas with trails of death, destruction, destitution, and injustice, nor loud-mouthed populists capitalizing on this immense discontent, but who are fool's gold, and offer no solutions, but only chaos. What is needed are leaders' who can see and honestly evaluate the REAL problems and the growing and not quote, "patriotic and nationalistic lines of denial," and roll up their sleeves and get their hands in their and make the reforms and changes that are NEEDED to save the United States as a nation, and core of the noblest values and ideals it was built upon, if anyone has the courage to be such a leader, and can avoid getting stomped by the Establishment media and electoral machines. How much do you love your nation and it's future, @Pringles?

he used an emoji calm down

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Patine said:

He did. But, to be fair, it's what called an, "opinionated," emote, not a, "semantic," one. And I was actually calm when I wrote it, but your cartoonishly-distorted and highly inaccurate - and, frankly, downright insulting and unacceptable - portrayal of me betrays itself, again. Now, please go away. You add nothing and only take away from the tenor of any conversation you're in, and I will not take up any further posts in this thread on you, myself.

kinda weird to consider writing a full paragraph in response to a guy sending an emoji something someone calm would do but okay

• Haha 1

The inflation percentage might be down (it would be hard to keep historic rates up for that long), but the effects will continue to be felt for some time. Republicans are far from blameless (they spent trillions in bailout money too), but Biden will get the brunt of the hit because he was in charge (along with the Dems) when it really started to hit.

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

Several of the questions were nigh unanswerable for me, in any good conscience.

What I'd do in that instance, and if the mods did make it a rule that you had to vote before participating in the thread itself, I'd vote and then comment further addressing or explaining my vote. For instance if there was a poll on the Nebraska GOP Gov primary(happened yesterday), I'd say that I wanted and voted for Lindstrom but ultimately am okay with Pillen. Anything is better than a serial gropper from Missouri who is backed by Trump.(Herbster)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

The inflation percentage might be down (it would be hard to keep historic rates up for that long), but the effects will continue to be felt for some time. Republicans are far from blameless (they spent trillions in bailout money too), but Biden will get the brunt of the hit because he was in charge (along with the Dems) when it really started to hit.

Yeah it won't go away overnight, and it's so funny that the inflation report today has it at 8.3% and that's good news to some people cause it's ever so slightly down as opposed to climbing up over the last 8 months straight

1 hour ago, SilentLiberty said:

What I'd do in that instance, and if the mods did make it a rule that you had to vote before participating in the thread itself, I'd vote and then comment further addressing or explaining my vote. For instance if there was a poll on the Nebraska GOP Gov primary(happened yesterday), I'd say that I wanted and voted for Lindstrom but ultimately am okay with Pillen. Anything is better than a serial gropper from Missouri who is backed by Trump.(Herbster)

Since I believe you're from Nebraska, Herbster's campaign manager was actually a senior at my high school when I was a freshman. We didn't get along, long story short 😉It's awful to see her putting out things in her own name defending his actions

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hestia said:

Since I believe you're from Nebraska, Herbster's campaign manager was actually a senior at my high school when I was a freshman. We didn't get along, long story short 😉It's awful to see her putting out things in her own name defending his actions

I am, from a suburb of Omaha. My district is now the 1st district though after Republican rebranding. I miss being in the second district 😞

• Like 1

Just a heads up, question 4 is missing the word Progressive.  

I really struggled with question one.  History tells me Biden is our best bet, as Presidents are almost always re-elected -- Trump being one of the very rare exceptions.  A "more exciting" candidate would surely pull more Democrat voters -- but would it be at the cost of moderates, especially ones that might be done with Trump's bullshit but might eat the same meal if it was served by DeSantis?  I honestly don't know.