The Political Lounge

First memories of presidential nominees?

vcczar

I thought it might be interesting to share when we first heard of each nominee from our live times. 

I was born during the end of Jimmy Carter's president, so the first election of my lifetime is the 1980 election. 

1980 nominees - Reagan vs Carter. I was too young to remember this election, but I grew up with Reagan as president. So the first time I was ever told what a president was, it would have been in connection with Reagan. I don't think I knew who Carter was during the Reagan presidency. I knew who all the presidents were by 3rd grade (Bush I Presidency), so I knew of Carter by then. 

1984 - Reagan vs Mondale. I don't think I knew who Mondale was until I was about 16, during the late Clinton years, which is about when I started reading about presidential elections. 

1988 - Bush vs Dukakis. My earliest memory of Bush and Dukakis is in 3rd grade. We had to "vote" using red or blue Texas shaped stickers. Red for Bush and Blue for Dukakis. I knew nothing about either candidate. I didn't like Bush's glasses because they made him look like my dentist. I didn't like Dukakis's hair. It was a tough choice. When it was my turn to put a stick on the wall, Bush had about 12 to 20 stickers and Dukakis had zero. I voted for him mainly out of feeling sorry for him. My best friend who voted after me, decided to do the same. We were the only people to "vote" for Dukakis. 

1992 - Clinton vs Bush. I have a vague memory of the early Clinton scandals that almost derailed at the beginning of the primaries. I remember him being the "comeback kid." Overall, I didn't pay much attention to the race, but I was reading newspapers (mainly for the sports section) during this time, and I perused headlines. Didn't know who Perot was until he was satirized on SNL. 

1996 - Clinton vs Dole. I remember someone at my high school wearing a Dole shirt, which showed an image of an incredibly uncharismatic-looking, elderly grump. 

2000 - Bush vs Gore. Bush II was the first nominee I had heard of before they ran for president. I was in TX, so I knew of him as the governor, but I first knew him as the owner of the Texas Rangers in the early 1990s. I knew of Gore while he was VP, but I didn't know much about him. He seemed to just be around for photo ops with Clinton. I don't think I heard him speak until he ran for president in 2000. I thought Gore was the most boring person I'd ever listened to. I knew little about current events during this time, so I voted for Bush in my first election. I had a profound knowledge of US history by 2000 --- focusing primarily on history before WW2, but I had very little knowledge on the differenced between parties afterwards. I don't think I had a single political opinion in 2000. In fact, I don't think I started developing opinions at all until about 1998. By 2002, I had defined political opinions. 9/11 made me more political. 

2004 - Bush vs Kerry. I didn't know who Kerry was until the first primary debate. He seemed even more boring than Gore, but I still voted for him. I preferred Kucinich and Sharpton. Voted for Kerry in the general. 

2008 - Obama vs. McCain. I think I first heard of McCain during the Bush administration as he was gaining his "maverick" reputation. I first saw Obama on TV during the 2004 keynote speech. The commentators were all predicting Obama to be president some day. Lots of comparisons with Lincoln, etc. I'm one of many people who had no clue who Sarah Palin was until she was announced as VP. After this election, I started keeping up with current events daily, although possibly it was watching Obama's campaign that triggered that change. I met Obama and Ted Kennedy the same week. Voted Obama in the primary and general, although Kucinich was my favorite in the primary. 

2012 - Obama vs Romney. I first heard of Romney when he was leading Olympics or was governor, whichever happened first. Voted Obama in the general. 

2016 - Trump vs Clinton. I first heard of Clinton when she was on TV when her husband was running for president in 1992. I first heard of Trump in the 1980s. In 3rd grade (1988 election), I had a friend who owned the boardgame Trump, which was kind of like a knockoff of monopoly. I remember two things when thinking back to this, 1) I already knew who Trump was. 2) I thought he was the richest person in the world for some reason. I know my dad had Art of the Deal (which Trump didn't really write). I can say that after Reagan, Trump was the nominee of my lifetime that I knew about the earliest. I can't say I really disliked Trump until he became a birther in c. 2011 or 2012. With that, he just came off as mean and needlessly disharmonious and nuts. Voted Sanders in the primary and Clinton in the general. 

2020 - Trump vs Biden. First heard of Biden when watching the 2008 Democratic primary debates. I thought Biden had a powerful, sincere voice. Voted Sanders in the primary and Biden in the general. 

What are you earliest memories of the nominee from your lifetime?

• Like 1
  • Based 1

Posted (edited)

I remember vaguely the Reagan elections, but I wasn't paying attention in 1984. In 1988 was the year of both the first American and Canadian election I really paid attention to. I remember liking Dukakis over Bush because of his name - but hey, I was 12 years old! I also thought Jesse Jackson was quite the speaker - to the degree I wondered if he was related to the Jackson Family of Singers (who were big back then). And I didn't understand the Convention and Nomination thing, and wondered why he suddenly stopped appearing. The 1988 Canadian election was the first one I asked my father who he was going to vote for. He said he was not a party loyalist - if the Government was doing well, he'd vote for them, and if they weren't, he vote for the main opposition. No ideologue or doctrinaire in him! I recall him saying he might have to vote for, "fuzznuts," but, to this day, I don't know if he meant Mulroney or Turner. 😛 

Edited by Patine

2004 I knew who Bush was in that I knew he was the President, 9/11, the wars in the middle east. I didn't know who Kerry was until he was the nominee. I didn't think much of either of men.

2008 I didn't know who either Obama or McCain were until deep into the primary season. I was also only 12. During the primary season I remember like John Edwards. In my 5th grade class during the primary season, we read that for kids(it might have been Time might have been something else) and it talked about Obama, Clinton, and Edwards. My teacher at the time had us stand in sides of the room(like a caucus) based off if we'd vote for Obama or Clinton. I remember asking what if we'd vote for Edwards and he got a corner in the room where I stood. This is probably my earliest true presidential election memory.

2012 I knew who Obama was, obviously, knew he was the president and at this point I'd say a fair bit about him. I had never heard of Romney before he ran, if I get inside my 15-16 year old head the only other candidate I truly really remember knowing was Ron Paul. I knew of him because someone in my neighborhood had a lot of Paul campaign signs, one of them was Paul photoshopped onto Ben Kenobi. Which I thought was the coolest thing, so I took it ahaha. And then tried to learn more about Paul and this is really when my political beliefs started to form. In this election I'd support Mitt Romney and I'd also tell my history class that I would be running in 2032. (A year later my new history teacher would use me as an example for being the president which would lead to me telling people the campaign was still on)

2016, well I knew Trump as a reality TV star. I didn't think much of him, I didn't watch his shows, just knew he was a wealthy famous person. I knew of Clinton mostly from her 2008 run and her time in the Obama admin. However I also knew who Rand Paul was prior to this election(gee I wonder why...maybe it was his dad...maybe...) during this election cycle I supported Paul, Carson, back to Paul, Rubio, and finally Petersen, then I settled on wanting Trump over Clinton and voting for Johnson. In hindsight I wish my political beliefs were what they are now, I'd have voted for and supported Clinton, probably would have supported Sanders as well. Would still have supported Paul, Rubio, and Carson though.

2020, I knew who Biden was from his time with Obama, I didn't think much of him other than he was a creep from how he'd touch girls, sniff there hair, etc. If we remember I supported Hickenlooper and Gabbard for most of if not all of the election season before voting for Jorgensen.

8 minutes ago, SilentLiberty said:

2004 I knew who Bush was in that I knew he was the President, 9/11, the wars in the middle east. I didn't know who Kerry was until he was the nominee. I didn't think much of either of men.

2008 I didn't know who either Obama or McCain were until deep into the primary season. I was also only 12. During the primary season I remember like John Edwards. In my 5th grade class during the primary season, we read that for kids(it might have been Time might have been something else) and it talked about Obama, Clinton, and Edwards. My teacher at the time had us stand in sides of the room(like a caucus) based off if we'd vote for Obama or Clinton. I remember asking what if we'd vote for Edwards and he got a corner in the room where I stood. This is probably my earliest true presidential election memory.

2012 I knew who Obama was, obviously, knew he was the president and at this point I'd say a fair bit about him. I had never heard of Romney before he ran, if I get inside my 15-16 year old head the only other candidate I truly really remember knowing was Ron Paul. I knew of him because someone in my neighborhood had a lot of Paul campaign signs, one of them was Paul photoshopped onto Ben Kenobi. Which I thought was the coolest thing, so I took it ahaha. And then tried to learn more about Paul and this is really when my political beliefs started to form. In this election I'd support Mitt Romney and I'd also tell my history class that I would be running in 2032. (A year later my new history teacher would use me as an example for being the president which would lead to me telling people the campaign was still on)

2016, well I knew Trump as a reality TV star. I didn't think much of him, I didn't watch his shows, just knew he was a wealthy famous person. I knew of Clinton mostly from her 2008 run and her time in the Obama admin. However I also knew who Rand Paul was prior to this election(gee I wonder why...maybe it was his dad...maybe...) during this election cycle I supported Paul, Carson, back to Paul, Rubio, and finally Petersen, then I settled on wanting Trump over Clinton and voting for Johnson. In hindsight I wish my political beliefs were what they are now, I'd have voted for and supported Clinton, probably would have supported Sanders as well. Would still have supported Paul, Rubio, and Carson though.

2020, I knew who Biden was from his time with Obama, I didn't think much of him other than he was a creep from how he'd touch girls, sniff there hair, etc. If we remember I supported Hickenlooper and Gabbard for most of if not all of the election season before voting for Jorgensen.

Such a young pup! I feel like Qui-gonn in the Phantom Menace. 😛 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

My experience as a francophone

2004 - Though I have memories of my early youth in 2002 and 2003 I didn't followed or payed attention to the 2004 presidential race, I barely learned how to read this year and I was very much unpoliticized. However As years went on I got to learn about G W Bush in 2006 and 2007 mainly thanks to his gaffes which made him amusing. I of course learned about 9/11 pretty early in the middle of the 2000s as well as the attempt to convict Ben Laden.

2008 - This is the first election that I do remember, I had absolutely no knowledge of US politic, I of course knew that Democrats were kind of left and Republicans kind of right but that was all. I was wondering if Obama could win against John McCain. The fries' corporation of the same name (McCain) was also confusing for youngs, I remember asking myself back then if John McCain was the CEO or apparented to the fries company.

Edited by Edouard

The first Presidential nominee/President I remember was Obama, I was quite young at the time and just remember seeing news of his election in 2008 on the TV. Funnily enough I don't recall the 2012 election, 2016 I remember all too well though. I didn't like either candidate but expected Clinton to win, and wanted her too with the other option being Trump. 

The day after the election I woke up and went downstairs to eat breakfast before school, I turned on the TV and saw on the TV guide the US election results. Naturally I put them on, expecting to see Hillary Clinton then go on with my day. As we all know, that's not what happened. Trump appeared on the TV screen in front of a crowd screaming U-S-A, U-S-A. I was shocked and I can't remember whether I shouted to her or ran up the stairs to her, regardless I said to my Mum "Trump got in." She was surprised herself.

Just now, Fbarbarossa said:

The first Presidential nominee/President I remember was Obama, I was quite young at the time and just remember seeing news of his election in 2008 on the TV. Funnily enough I don't recall the 2012 election, 2016 I remember all too well though. I didn't like either candidate but expected Clinton to win, and wanted her too with the other option being Trump. 

The day after the election I woke up and went downstairs to eat breakfast before school, I turned on the TV and saw on the TV guide the US election results. Naturally I put them on, expecting to see Hillary Clinton then go on with my day. As we all know, that's not what happened. Trump appeared on the TV screen in front of a crowd screaming U-S-A, U-S-A. I was shocked and I can't remember whether I shouted to her or ran up the stairs to her, regardless I said to my Mum "Trump got in." She was surprised herself.

The 2012 U.S. Presidential Election was a textbook case of an incumbent of tanking and lagging popularity and approval winning anyways because of even weaker opposition. It's comparable to the 2005 UK election, the last two Canadian elections, and the last two victories by Merkel. Unless this phenomenon is absolutely a moment not to miss - you didn't miss much. 😛 

2004 - I was very young and disconnected, though I did know who Bush was and eventually came to know who Kerry was. Never had any strong opinions.

2008 - Still had no strong opinions, but I actually paid attention to this one: came to know who Obama was and knew who McCain was.

2012 - Finally started having opinions, yet still only cared about the general election. I wanted Romney to win but didn't pay too much attention. Two stinker candidates. 

2016 - Supported Rand Paul originally in the primaries, then I started to support Fiorina, then eventually Trump officially won the primary. I knew who Trump was from The Apprentice, and knew who Hillary was. Supported Johnson the most, but at the time I'd have Trump before Hillary, in hopes his talk was simply rhetoric as it was with most politicians. 

2020- Begrudgingly supported Biden more than Trump, but ended up voting for Jo Jorgensen. I had a feeling Trump would win a second term, but I was wrong. Of course, I knew Trump, and I knew Biden (along with his hair sniffing tendency.)

1 minute ago, mark2 said:

2016 - Supported Rand Paul originally in the primaries, then I started to support Fiorina, then eventually Trump officially won the primary. I knew who Trump was from The Apprentice, and knew who Hillary was. Supported Johnson the most, but at the time I'd have Trump before Hillary, in hopes his talk was simply rhetoric as it was with most politicians.

This sad story is a good reason - among many - to support reforming the American electoral system to enable true multi-party democracy without abuses of incumbency. Wouldn't you agree?

• Agree 1

Im a baby my first election I remember was McCain Obama lol, 8 year old me wanted Obama to win cause he seemed cool (Vaguely remember bush but i was learning how to read when he got elected for the 2nd time). First election I was clued in for was 2016 

1 hour ago, SilentLiberty said:

39 minutes ago, Edouard said:

My experience as a francophone

2004 - Though I have memories of my early youth in 2002 and 2003 I didn't followed or payed attention to the 2004 presidential race, I barely learned how to read this year and I was very much unpoliticized. However As years went on I got to learn about G W Bush in 2006 and 2007 mainly thanks to his gaffes which made him amusing. I of course learned about 9/11 pretty early in the middle of the 2000s as well as the attempt to convict Ben Laden.

2008 - This is the first election that I do remember, I had absolutely no knowledge of US politic, I of course knew that Democrats were kind of left and Republicans kind of right but that was all. I was wondering if Obama could win against John McCain. The fries' corporation of the same name (McCain) was also confusing for youngs, I remember asking myself back then if John McCain was the CEO or apparented to the fries company.

2012 - It's about the time I got really interested about US politic. I began to understand how the presidential system worked but I still hadn't ideas about specific swing states, I just knew that the race was close but Obama had the edge. I watched the campaign on youtube also because this was a period of intense creativity particulary on youtube. I prefered that Obama would win but I liked Romney's hairs (no joke I found his haircut very classy) so a part of me was hoping an upset for him. It's the first presidential election that I actually followed in the night.

2016 - By this time I got politicized about US politic and began to learn more and more, now I was aware of regional specificities and party platforms. When i first heard that Trump would be candidate in july 2015 my reaction was "He will not go that far, it's just a candidacy to troll in primaries" then we saw everything else coming. I purposedly not went to my university session the day following the presidential election in order to follow it in direct from my appartment. I remember being more and more desperate as hours went on and at midnight 03 AM (US eastern time) leaving all hopes for a Clinton come back after that countrysides swayed Pennsylvania into Trump territory. I knew that more rural votes would keep coming and thus, independently of Wisconsin and Michigan results, the presidency was won for Trump.

I was really afraid, because I did believe that Trump was able to start a nuclear war, and thus the 4 years going I just accustomed myself. I actually was in the US during the Charlottesville tragic moment in 2017 and I hoped that Trump would be a one term president.

2020 - I was rooting for Beto O Rourke initially, he was the closest democrat of my own ideology but I also hoped that Pete Buttigieg does well as like Obama, he was the symbol of something more into politic. I was quite confident that Trump couldn't win again but still I went concerned when on November 4th the map was still pretty equal between the two candidates, hopefully apart North Carolina, Biden won every of the remaining states to be declared.

I don't have a positive look toward the future of US politics. I do fear what would come out of 2024.

22 minutes ago, Fbarbarossa said:

5 minutes ago, mark2 said:

2004 - I was very young and disconnected, though I did know who Bush was and eventually came to know who Kerry was. Never had any strong opinions.

2008 - Still had no strong opinions, but I actually paid attention to this one: came to know who Obama was and knew who McCain was.

2012 - Finally started having opinions, yet still only cared about the general election. I wanted Romney to win but didn't pay too much attention. Two stinker candidates. 

2020- Begrudgingly supported Biden more than Trump, but ended up voting for Jo Jorgensen. I had a feeling Trump would win a second term, but I was wrong. Of course, I knew Trump, and I knew Biden (along with his hair sniffing tendency.)

1 minute ago, Murrman104 said:

Im a baby my first election I remember was McCain Obama lol, 8 year old me wanted Obama to win cause he seemed cool (Vaguely remember bush but i was learning how to read when he got elected for the 2nd time). First election I was clued in for was 2016 

Gee, and here I am talking about remembering George W. Bush (the first one remembered for most here)'s father running in his first election (as a nominee - he was in the 1980 GOP Primaries) against Dukakis (one of my personal favourite post-WW2 Presidential election nominees all things, considered) in 1988. Don't I feel old... 👨‍🦯

Posted (edited)

I come from a very politically active family, so grew up knowing more about politics than I should have.

1996- Born near end of Bush I's term, so Clinton was the first President I had heard of. Growing up in TN before realignment hit the state, I heard nothing but nice things about Clinton. I knew there was something he did wrong as a kid but everyone was always going on about the economy that it didn't matter to a lot of people. I did get to push the button for my grandmother's vote for Clinton in 1996 and voted in Kindergarten for Clinton as well in class. 

2000- I knew Gore bc he was our former senator and the VP. We all liked Gore despite his lack of charisma. My family were lifelong Democrats who really despised the GOP for their economic policies, so I learned nothing by negative things about W form family.

2004- I hadn't heard of Kerry until I had to research him for my history class. We had to make a poster for a candidate explaining their policies. I was the only kid to make a Kerry poster. I very vividly remember a classmate coming up to me and saying, "he murders babies," and I thought, "that's extreme and very unlikely." Little did I know...

2008- I was about 8 months from being able to vote in this election. I followed the Dem primary as my family were still Democrats and we were a Hillary family, but Obama was just as good in my family's eyes because McCain offered nothing but the same policies as Bush to them. It was the first election though were I saw family members vote Republican and they could never explain to me how the party was different from previously but I felt Obama's race had a lot to do with it. McCain I knew was a Vietnam War vet but didn't really learn more about him. I was more interested in Sarah Palin though because she was very different from politics as I knew them.

2012- Mitt Romney was who my grandparents voted for in the 2008 primary so I had learned about him during that election. He seemed very youthful and looked presidential in both runs, which was something my grandmother voted on.

2016- Let's start with Hillary. Growing up with an involved family, I tended to see Hillary a lot. My great grandparents even went to an event memorializing the Italian campaigns during WWII where they met the Clintons. My great-grandmother would tell the story about her conversation with Hillary for as long as I could remember, so I always had positive associations towards her. She was kind of like a famous grandma to me, always there and a role model to me (especially growing up LGBT in the South it was hard to find a role model and Hillary was a strong presence that stood out). Trump, on the other hand, I knew from watching the Apprentice. Nothing more than that as a first memory of him. So nothing he di don the campaign was that shocking to me because that was the personality he cultivated on tv.

2020- Biden I knew from the 2008 campaign. I very much remember him more from the 2012 debate with Paul Ryan where he just smiled and laughed his way through that debate. I was just like, "wow, he really owned Ryan just by being charming."

Edited by Ich_bin_Tyler

Born in 1998 so

2000 - I was 2, so not a lot of real time impressions being made, but when I first heard about Bush was in a conversation with my mother when I was in high school. She was telling me about how we came early in the year 2001 and she was new to the country and still new to motherhood and my father was working long hours to make ends meet and my younger brother wasn't even a month old when 9/11 happened. She told me how it had felt like if America wasn't safe, nowhere could be, but when she listened to Bush speak, he led with his faith in the country and the strength to meet the moment. I was vaguely aware of Bush but that sticks out as the first time I really reflected on his Presidency. As for Gore, I think the first time I saw him was on 30 Rock, and then I watched the SNL spoof of the lockbox debate. No strong opinion on him.

2004 - I was 6, so still not a lot of real time impressions being made, but when I was taking an APUSH class, the teacher went over some of the recent elections and talked about Kerry's record as a flip flopper and the swiftboat ad. Not a lot of strong opinions on him until he became Secretary of State, and I soured on him a bit then. 

2008 - My middle school actually did a mock election and I had some friends who were voting for Obama cause they thought he seemed nice or cool, and I had some friends who voted for McCain because their parents hated Obama. I'm pretty sure I voted for McCain but I didn't put a lot of thought into it, I remember thinking Republicans had a cooler name than Democrats tho lol. 

2012 - This was the first election I was paying some level of attention to. I liked Obama as a person but I had heard a ton of people complain about the economy and blaming him for it. Mitt Romney always struck me as pretty smart, especially some of the clips I had seen from the first debate. I distinctly remember a lot of commentary on how it was "the lesser of two evils", "neither option was good", "in a country of 300 million people, these two are the best we could come up with?" yada yada. It struck me even then as lacking perspective since to me, they both seemed like smart and decent people, and I wasn't gonna be too disappointed with either of them. 

2016 - Had known of Hillary for a long time, I think the first time I had heard of her was back in 2008, but hadn't paid enough attention to form an opinion. I remember hearing a ton of negative stuff about her in 2012 and beyond tho. Benghazi hearings, Whitewater, the Clinton Kill List, etc. By the time 2016 rolled around, I had learned to discern what was warranted criticism of her and what was not, but even so, I couldn't see myself supporting her. I remember having a neutral to somewhat positive view of Trump when he was just an eccentric celebrity. I think I watched the Comedy Central Roast of Trump when it aired, or at least clips. Thought he was an asshole but a fairly benign one until he announced he was running for President and opened with how Mexicans are rapists. I was confident he would lose, and when he won the GOP nomination, I became a Hillary supporter and even phone banked for her. At the time, the only election post-WWII I would have preferred the Dem nominee, and I really resented the GOP for making the first election after I turn 18 the one they decide to nominate Trump. 

2020 - My earliest memory of Biden is the BFD debacle lol. I think I might remember some of the Palin Biden debate in 08 but not sure. First impression of him was he was goofy but likeable enough. I remember the Obama Biden BFF memes from the second term. I always liked Biden, and thought he should have run in 2016. In 2020, I wondered why folks online seemed to turn on him, but I was reminded that twitter isn't real life when I bought his book Promise Me, Dad and the B&N clerk, a young black woman, just gushed about him. I supported Klobuchar in the primaries and Biden in the general. 

25 minutes ago, Rezi said:

I’ve always been impartial to this version myself 😛 

D2EBD0DC-D554-4886-AD57-F1AFE01A27EA.jpeg.7545d3bacbc8faf56313efccee848a9b.jpeg

The Republicans have the best movies. 

Revenge of the Sith and Empire Strikes Back. 😎

What happens when we get into the Disney trash in the later 2020s

• Based 1

27 minutes ago, Rezi said:

I’ve always been impartial to this version myself 😛 

D2EBD0DC-D554-4886-AD57-F1AFE01A27EA.jpeg.7545d3bacbc8faf56313efccee848a9b.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Fbarbarossa said:

I love this

Just now, Pringles said:

Imagine how frightening it would be if the Real World had the same sort of sharply and severely divided binary morality as dominates space opera (and classic high epic fantasy, and golden and silver age comic book) as a genre... 😛 

• Based 2

I was born during the Johnson administration.  I have no first hand memory of him at all.  I don't remember anything about the 1968 or 1972 elections.  The first national political memory I have is Nixon's resignation.

• Like 1
  • Based 1

Just now, pilight said:

I was born during the Johnson administration.  I have no first hand memory of him at all.  I don't remember anything about the 1968 or 1972 elections.  The first national political memory I have is Nixon's resignation.

Now THIS is the Old Man of the Forum!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Pringles said:

Okay traditionnaly I do not deviate topic but you forced my hand

Prequels : average of 84/100 : Those movies had a purpose and were not useless

Phantom Menace : 77/100 Catchy, not the best movie but quite a good open world and good scenario

Attack of the Clones : 70/100 I do like how they devellop the scenario, but the movie is a bit too slow even if it keeps building a coherent timeline. Count Dooku and separatists' motives are under-exploited

However it's completely saved by the Clone Wars' serie : 90/100 they absolutely brought something to the Star Wars' universe, to its political atmosphere, to separatists' motives, to the pre-empire era. This was not only a show made to get cash. The serie explains how a society and a republic can abandon its liberties through a perpetual state of wars and how the Jedi Council is blind and sometimes out of touch.

Revenge of the Siths : 95/100 Near perfection. No minute is uselessly spent, everything is well thought, the music and the drama are immense, the acting is great and the downfall of Anakin as well as the death of Padmé are really sad, it added on the sadness that Vador felt, it also explained how the Republic has become an empire, the "final push" of the Sidious plan.

Star Wars' Rogue : 81/100. Not my favourite movie but a very well done one, the closest movie Disney ever done that was similar to the Star Wars' spirit so far.

Trilogy : Average of 87/100 great saga of movies.

A new Hope : 84/100 Catchy modern, a whole new universe made up in a single movie.

The Empire strikes back : 91/100 Near perfection. No scene is boring and characters are well developped.

The return of the Jedi : 87/100 Well made, not boring, not as good as the previous movie but it brings to a good conclusion and the build up of Vader's return to the light side was well written and planned, scenes were also well planned. The only small problem is to count on a new death star with an heavier problem than the first one, the scenario of course tried to justify it with the trap.

Sequels : Average of 55/100.

I forgot the name of episode VII (is it the Light awakens?) but we shall say : 55/100. Copy and paste of the 4th movie with some news elements, but way too much a simple copy and paste of the main arcs of the 4th. However, there are some good ideas of characters and mysteries with Snoke which might be Dark Plagueis and Ben Solo who might have a redemption. Also the mystery of the girl's parent. However the magic credit card of the First Order is stupid. Palpatine could build a death Star because he had the funds of like 2000 galactic systems as emperor, the First Order hasn't the means to build an even heavier stuff with what, 30 planets?

Star Wars VIII : 57/100 (it's a controversial opinion) I like that everything was broken, but it also destroyed the whole purpus of the VIIth movie and hijacked the way of the sequels.

Star Wars IX : 50/100 Palpatine comes to rescue because they are in lack of ideas, it completely destroys the well ending of Star Wars VI and it brings absolutely nothing, plus the girl (yes I lost her name) saves Ben Solo SO ANAKIN COULD HAVE REALLY SAVED PADME AND IT BREAKS THE WHOLE ARC OF LIES OF PALPATINE TO PUSH ANAKIN TO THE DARK SIDE IN THE PREQUELS.

Basically Sequels don't bring anything to the saga, worse, they attack the coherence of prequels and trilogy movies.

Edited by Edouard
  • Like 1
  • Based 3

6 minutes ago, Edouard said:

Phantom Menace : 77/100 Catchy, not the best movie but quite a good open world and good scenario

Attack of the Clones : 70/100 I do like how they devellop the scenario, but the movie is a bit too slow even if it keeps building a coherent timeline. Count Dooku and separatists' motives are under-exploited

However it's completely saved by the Clone Wars' serie : 90/100 they absolutely brought something to the Star Wars' universe, to its political atmosphere, to separatists' motives, to the pre-empire era. This was not only a show made to get cash. The serie explains how a society and a republic can abandon its liberties through a perpetual state of wars and how the Jedi Council is blind and sometimes out of touch.

Revenge of the Siths : 95/100 Near perfection. No minute is uselessly spent, everything is well thought, the music and the drama are immense, the acting is great and the downfall of Anakin as well as the death of Padmé are really sad, it added on the sadness that Vador felt, it also explained how the Republic has become an empire, the "final push" of the Sidious plan.

Star Wars' Rogue : 81/100. Not my favourite movie but a very well done one, the closest movie Disney ever done that was similar to the Star Wars' spirit so far.

A new Hope : 84/100 Catchy modern, a whole new universe made up in a single movie.

The Empire strikes back : 91/100 Near perfection. No scene is boring and characters are well developped.

The return of the Jedi : 87/100 Well made, not boring, not as good as the previous movie but it brings to a good conclusion and the build up of Vader's return to the light side was well written and planned, scenes were also well planned. The only small problem is to count on a new death star with an heavier problem than the first one, the scenario of course tried to justify it with the trap.

I forgot the name of episode VII (is it the Light awakens?) but we shall say : 55/100. Copy and paste of the 4th movie with some news elements, but way too much a simple copy and paste of the main arcs of the 4th. However, there are some good ideas of characters and mysteries with Snoke which might be Dark Plagueis and Ben Kenobi who might have a redemption. Also the mystery of the girl's parent. However the magic credit card of the First Order is stupid. Palpatine could build a death Star because he had the funds of like 2000 galactic systems as emperor, the First Order hasn't the means to build an even heavier stuff with what, 30 planets?

Star Wars VIII : 57/100 (it's a controversial opinion) I like that everything was broken, but it also destroyed the whole purpus of the VIIth movie and hijacked the way of the sequels.

Star Wars IX : 50/100 Palpatine comes to rescue because they are in lack of ideas, it completely destroys the well ending of Star Wars VI and it brings absolutely nothing, plus the girl (yes I lost her name) saves Ben Kenobi SO ANAKIN COULD HAVE REALLY SAVED PADME AND IT BREAKS THE WHOLE ARC OF LIES OF PALPATINE TO PUSH ANAKIN TO THE DARK SIDE IN THE PREQUELS.

Basically Sequels don't bring anything to the saga, worse, they attack the coherence of prequels and trilogy movies.

You are damn right Ed. You a good man. 😎

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Edouard said:

I forgot the name of episode VII (is it the Light awakens?) but we shall say : 55/100. Copy and paste of the 4th movie with some news elements, but way too much a simple copy and paste of the main arcs of the 4th. However, there are some good ideas of characters and mysteries with Snoke which might be Dark Plagueis and Ben Solo who might have a redemption. Also the mystery of the girl's parent. However the magic credit card of the First Order is stupid. Palpatine could build a death Star because he had the funds of like 2000 galactic systems as emperor, the First Order hasn't the means to build an even heavier stuff with what, 30 planets?

Star Wars IX : 50/100 Palpatine comes to rescue because they are in lack of ideas, it completely destroys the well ending of Star Wars VI and it brings absolutely nothing, plus the girl (yes I lost her name) saves Ben Solo SO ANAKIN COULD HAVE REALLY SAVED PADME AND IT BREAKS THE WHOLE ARC OF LIES OF PALPATINE TO PUSH ANAKIN TO THE DARK SIDE IN THE PREQUELS.

To me, and my view of Star Wars, no movie or TV series made by Disney is acknowledged. The very tenor, motif, and theme of the setting and meta-plan are far too disparate, and Disney's work is far too clumsy and haphazard. I would even say the Star Wars Holiday Special (1978), the two made for TV Ewoks movies (the second of which had Wilfred Brimley) in the early '80's, and the Ewoks and Droids Saturday Morning Cartoon series (mid-80's) hold more legitimacy by internal consistency of lore, as I see it, than anything Disney put out for the franchise.

• Disagree 1
  • Based 1

24 minutes ago, Edouard said:

I agree with you a lot on the sequels! I'm hoping the Favreau/Filoni shows, Mandalorian and Boba Fett (As well as the other coming ones) follow fan speculation and retcon the sequel trilogy