The Political Lounge

How should US elections be reformed

Timur

How should the U.S. electoral system be reformed  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Presidential, Gubernatorial, Mayoral elections, etc.

• First-Past-The-Post popular vote
    • Proportional Electoral College
    • Congressional District Electoral College (interestingly, James Madison was for this idea)
    • Return to the original 18th century system
    • Bayh-Cellar Amendment
    • Ranked-Choice Vote/IRV
    • Jungle Primary/Two-Round System
    • Congress should choose the President
    • Indian, German Electoral College systems
    • Maintain the current system
    • Abolish the Presidency: Bring in a monarchy/dictatorship
    • Abolish the Presidency: Bring in an anarchy
    • Abolish the Presidency: Split the US
    • Abolish the Presidency: Parliamentary System
  2. 2. Legislative Elections

• Maintain the current FPTP system
    • PR
    • MMP
    • MNTV
    • General Ticket
    • Swiss Election System
    • FPTP, but without any political parties
    • SNTV
    • Cumulative Voting
    • Binomial System
    • SNTV
    • FPTP+MMP+PR
    • STV
    • Alternative Voting/Ranked Choice
    • Majority Bonus System
    • Parallel Voting
    • Borda Count
    • Abolish Congress; one-man-rule
    • Abolish Congress; bring in an anarchy
    • Abolish Congress; split the US
    • Abolish Congress; replace it with a horse that stamps once for yes and twice for no.
    • Return to the Articles of Confederation

Since @Patine loves talking about the negative sides of the U.S. election system, I placed a poll here.

Edited by Timur

Ranked Choice voting for Presidential, Governor, Mayor and such. It incentivizes having a broad appeal and helps to rid this country of the 2-party system.

In terms of legislative elections, I wouldn't really mind what we have now as long as it had RCV as well, but I do really enjoy an MMP system like they have in New Zealand: so that constituencies can have a voice but the nation’s vote as a whole is still given a proportional voice.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Although, actually, my solution for the Presidency, which is not up there (and no one ever puts, "other: specify," options on these polls anymore, for some reason) is a collective Presidency (a, "presidium," or, "committee-of-state," or like the Federal Council in Switzerland), with each member elected, by popular vote, from a different region of the country. Too much power has become concentrated and accrued in one individual - power that NO ONE person can possibly handle fully responsibly and competently, and too much a fetishistic and sociologically unhealthy political and cultural cult mentality has grown around the office, itself.

Unfortunately, I cannot edit...

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Perhaps the, "other: please specify," option should back into vogue.

In the 270soft forum system, you could edit a post/poll without limits, not so here...:classic_sad:

3 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I need to know how Trump feels about the horse before I can decide how I feel about the horse.

;c)

Just in case you want to know, the horse option is from the Onion. (For those who don't like video links, options, I'm sorry I haven't found a transcript for this except some of Joad Cressbeckler's interesting statements.)

http://www.scrollseek.com/wordplay/cressbecklerisms.html

fOIR

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Personally - and this may sound shocking in the current zeitgeist - far too much opinion and gravity centres on Trump in socio-political discourse. In truth, despite popuar portrayal, he is not the architect or innovator of this current political cesspool, nor has he come up with much at all that's new material - he just put his own toxic spin on it. In truth, he's nothing more than a symptom - one of many - of a much broader and massive set of problems, much of which is ignored or under-addressed, across the board, in politics...

He's stupid.  He's literally just an incredibly stupid man, who has no desire to stop being an incredibly stupid man.  

Therefore, if he likes something/someone, odds are pretty solid that this is something/someone that specifically and directly appeals to stupid people.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Given he seemed much more clever and with it as a businessman and showman for four decades or so, maybe the Supreme Leader of North Korea was right (though giving him credit is dubious, too) - that Trump has become a dotard, and his wit has dulled with both age and lack of, "intellectual sharpening."

I don't think he was ever clever or with it.  He was simply born into money, and with his vindictive nature and the power that comes with wealth, he became someone that people were afraid to say "no" to.  That doesn't take intelligence.  It simply takes being born into a wealthy family and a lack of a soul.

Edited by MrPotatoTed