The Political Lounge

The 2020 Democratic Primary - Robust Testing Forum

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

What was the cause? Was it that a faction had three ideologies to draft from? Should it be limited to two?  I remember we settled on three because someone (forgot who) thought being forced to draft according to one's ideology card was too restrictive. We also had people that wanted no restrictions. 

yeah, the cause is that all factions have three ideologies to draft from.  I'm trimming it down to 2.

I was the one who initially  complained that it was too restrictive. Haha.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

yeah, the cause is that all factions have three ideologies to draft from.  I'm trimming it down to 2.

Perhaps it can be tweaked via AI rules instead? Just kind of thinking outloud.  I mean to get this playtest off the ground do what you need to do, but I feel as if more robust AI rules would be a more elegant solution.  Maybe keep each faction at 3 draft eligible, but the AI will give "preference" to certain ideologies.

Nah, I think giving "starting" draft two ideologies instead of three per faction is the simplest and most efficient answer.  After you get your starting faction, then it can either stay at two or open up to three, either is fine.  But to get realistic starting scenarios, I think two is the right answer.

4 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

@vcczar We've got crisis manager, crisis gov, and crisis admin.  Couldn't crisis manager cover all three?

No. Crisis Manager is only for the presidency. Gov is for governing. Admin is for being an admin. Lincoln is a crisis manager as president, but that doesn't mean he would have been as Gov or Sec of Interior. 

11 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I'll let Anthony know to reduce it. 

2 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Nah, I think giving "starting" draft two ideologies instead of three per faction is the simplest and most efficient answer.  After you get your starting faction, then it can either stay at two or open up to three, either is fine.  But to get realistic starting scenarios, I think two is the right answer.

Alright, I think for now for rookie drafts it should stay 3 so we can see if it goes off the rails in the future or if it's fine.

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

No. Crisis Manager is only for the presidency. Gov is for governing. Admin is for being an admin. Lincoln is a crisis manager as president, but that doesn't mean he would have been as Gov or Sec of Interior. 

Interesting...it doesn't really make sense to me.  We just have "leadership", we don't have five different levels of leadership depending on what job you have.  As a professional crisis manager myself, you're either good at it or you're not. haha.

But you're the boss, I'll leave it alone.

6 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

Interesting...it doesn't really make sense to me.  We just have "leadership", we don't have five different levels of leadership depending on what job you have.  As a professional crisis manager myself, you're either good at it or you're not. haha.

But you're the boss, I'll leave it alone.

Leadership is more like being seen as someone who leads but a known leader isn't necessarily a great crisis manager. For instance, Martin Van Buren, arguably the architect of the Democratic Party, was widely recognized as a leader of the Democratic party, but he was a terrible crisis manager, but he was a magician in the Senate.

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

Leadership is more like being seen as someone who leads but a known leader isn't necessarily a great crisis manager. For instance, Martin Van Buren, arguably the architect of the Democratic Party, was widely recognized as a leader of the Democratic party, but he was a terrible crisis manager, but he was a magician in the Senate.

I know they're different traits, my point was that we don't have "Presidential leadership" and "Governor leadership" and "Admin leadership" and "legislative leadership".  We just have leadership.  I was comparing that to the fact that we have three different kinds of crisis management for three different jobs, even though it's the same skillset regardless of what your job is.

2 minutes ago, MrPotatoTed said:

I know they're different traits, my point was that we don't have "Presidential leadership" and "Governor leadership" and "Admin leadership" and "legislative leadership".  We just have leadership.  I was comparing that to the fact that we have three different kinds of crisis management for three different jobs, even though it's the same skillset regardless of what your job is.

Yeah, it's just different because it's a way to have the right people for a crisis in the right place. Adds to the game, I think. 

4 hours ago, MrPotatoTed said:

As the game gets more modern, I think it definitely makes sense to condense draft options (as the parties condense in available ideologies to draft from)

Did some testing, with 2020 folks and meters did the following runs:

Base map

image.png.0f2f41366e291b7b1adcd7ea3c8aeca0.png

D3: 332-206, KS, AK going Dem, TX going R
D4: 374-164, AK, MO goes D
D5: 326-212, KS, OH, PA tie and go R 50.1-49.9
D6: 373-165, KS, GA flip D, WI flips R
Regional D3: 367-171, IA flips D

So yea looks like D3 seems to be a pretty good strat, overall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1