The Political Lounge

Part 3: 100 Most Influential Rankings

vcczar

Part 3: 100 Most Influential Rankings  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following are among the most 100 influential people of all time? (See post for descriptions)

• Andrew Weinreich
    • Angela Merkel
    • Antoine Lavoisier
    • Antony van Leeuwenhoek
    • Archimedes
    • Aristophanes
    • Aristotle
    • Arthur Conan Doyle
    • Ashoka
    • Atilla the Hun
    • None of the above have been among one of the 100 most influential people.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/25/2022 at 12:22 AM

@vcczar @ShortKing @WVProgressive @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @jnewt @Mark_W @OrangeP47 @Arkansas Progressive @A man from Colorado @SilentLiberty @Rodja @DakotaHale @jvikings1 @themiddlepolitical @Edouard @Vols21 @Timur @Patine @10centjimmy

Here's the 1st part of the 100 most influential rankings. 

Rules:

- Please keep discussion on topic. 

- No trolling. 

- No complaining, although constructive criticism is okay. 

- No personal attacks.

- No commenting without voting. 

Candidates in this poll: 

Andrew Weinreich The originator of online social networking
Angela Merkel One of the most powerful women in history, arguably leading Germany to become the major power in Europe.
Antoine L Lavoisier “Father of Modern Chemistry.” He discovered the role that oxygen plays in combustion. He also recognized and named oxygen and hydrogen. He changed chemistry from a qualitative to a quantitative science.
Antony van Leeuwenhoek “father of microbiology.” He was the first to observe and analyze microorganisms.
Archimedes Discovered the laws of levers and pulleys, allowing us to move heavy objects with little force; estimated the value of pi; huge mathematical influence on a range of mathematic and physics.
Aristophanes Considered the "Father of Comedy" for his plays, which are among the earliest surviving comedy plays.
Aristotle Philosopher who dominated Western thought all the way up to the Enlightenment; first to formally study logic; huge impact on the Islamic Golden Age, early Christian theology, theories of literature, physical sciences, etc. Taught Alexander the Great.
Arthur Conan Doyle For creating Sherlock Holmes, arguably the most influential and popular literary figure of all time.
Ashoka Crucial figure in the survival and spread of Buddhism by converting to the faith; As emperor conquered most of the Indian subcontinent.
Atilla the Hun Responsible for the major Turkic and Germanic migrations which altered the gene pool in Europe and West Asia

According to me Aristotle and Atilla

Aristotle definitively, Atilla more "likely" but it's like Bell in last polls, if he gets the top 100 it's barely but there are more reasons for him in my mind.

Aristotle is the father of phylosophy, without him there's certainly no Kant, no Marx, no Voltaire, no Diderot no Rousseau no Montesquieu no Hegel.

He definitively contributed to change the world even 2000 years after his death

Atilla it's more on the consequence of his life and conquests than what he actually did. He provoked the barbarian migrations which reshaped Europe and the ultimate downfall of the Roman empire.

Edited by Edouard
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Edouard said:

According to me Aristotle and Atilla

Aristotle definitively, Atilla more "likely" but it's like Bell in last polls, if he gets the top 100 it's barely but there are more reasons for him in my mind.

Aristotle is the father of phylosophy, without him there's certainly no Kant, no Marx, no Voltaire, no Diderot no Rousseau no Montesquieu no Hegel.

He definitively contributed to change the world even 2000 years after his death

Atilla it's more on the consequence of his life and conquests than what he actually did. He provoked the barbarian migrations which reshaped Europe and the ultimate downfall of the Roman empire.

I largely agree with Ed's verdict. 

Atilla the Hun's conquests proved to be beneficial for military thought, but he makes it to the lower end because of the migrations and genetic variations that he caused to occur for centuries in Europe. Visigoths, Goths, Ostrogoths, Vandals, Franks, etc. etc. etc. so many groups of people moving around and about in Europe and shaping who all of us are today. 

Aristotle is a no brainer. His ideas influenced thousands of other likewise ideas and expansions of his thought. Not to mention he was a teacher of another Top 100 person in my opinion, Alexander the Great. 

The rest (like Archimedes) are perhaps worthy but largely not in my opinion. Archimedes while a great thinker is in the math category... he cannot be up there with Aristotle in my opinion. Aristotle's work is in so many more areas that are relevant to human history. 

• Thanks 1

Lavoisier and Leeuwenhoek are important to the physics and modern civilisation. Aristotle is a no duh. Doyle's works actually have influence on modern interpretation, as well as defining the genre - and I'd vote the same for Bram Stoke and Mary Shelly, as genre defining. Hun got my vote for his Eurasian Empire, he's like mini-Gengis Khan in terms of human genetic tracking

• Thanks 1

Too early to tell for Merkel (and too euro-centric for me to consider anyway), and Doyle seems lackluster compared to everyone else. Archimedes, Leeuwenhoek, and Lavoisier are all important but don't quite make it there for me. Ashoka while important for the Buddhist religion, is mainly confined to Asia so he's gone for me also. 

This leaves Weinreich, Aristotle, and Attila for me. When it comes to Weinreich, it's really hard to deny the importance of social media in todays world. It's easily become one of the best if not the best way to reach out to millions if not billions of people. So even if social networking is a sorta separate thing it basically falls in the same umbrella. So I believe he belongs on the list. Aristotle is a no-brainer and there isn't a need to elaborate on why I chose him. Modern western thought would not be the same without him. Attila played an important role in shaping the power balance of a Europe dominated by Rome and created a empire feared by many. He remains a folk legend and so he deserves a spot. 

• Thanks 1