The Political Lounge

Part 4: 100 Most Influential Ranking

vcczar

Part 4: 100 Most Influential Ranking  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following are among the most 100 influential people of all time? (See post for descriptions)

• Auguste Comte
    • Auguste Rodin
    • Augustus Caesar
    • B R Amdedkar
    • Barack Obama
    • Benito Mussolini
    • Benjamin Franklin
    • Betty Friedan
    • Bi Sheng
    • Bill Clinton
    • None of the above have been among one of the 100 most influential people.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/25/2022 at 06:18 PM

@vcczar @ShortKing @WVProgressive @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @jnewt @Mark_W @OrangeP47 @Arkansas Progressive @A man from Colorado @SilentLiberty @Rodja @DakotaHale @jvikings1 @themiddlepolitical @Edouard @Vols21 @Timur @Patine @10centjimmy

Here's the 1st part of the 100 most influential rankings. 

Rules:

- Please keep discussion on topic. 

- No trolling. 

- No complaining, although constructive criticism is okay. 

- No personal attacks.

- No commenting without voting. 

Candidates in this poll: 

Auguste Comte "Father of Sociology" for developing the field; coined the word "altruism"
Auguste Rodin The father of modern sculpture whose works are in museums worldwide
Augustus Caesar Rebuilt the collapsing Roman Republic into a Roman Empire; First Roman Emperor; greatly expanded Rome; initiated Pax Romana, which saw relative peace throughout the empire.
B R Ambedkar Chief architect for the Constitution of the largest Democracy in world history
Barack Obama First African-American president of the United States, a country with a long history of Slavery; Presided during the legalization of US Same-Sex marriage, creation of US universal healthcare, and the killing of Osama bin Laden.
Benito Mussolini Early Fascist leader who inspired Hitler, Franco, and many other fascist dictators; Made Italy a Nazi ally in World War II
Benjamin Franklin America's first celebrity; famous inventor, printer, statesman, civic advocate; invented the lightning rod, bifocals and a stove; secured the alliance with France that was necessary in winning American Independence from Great Britain.
Betty Friedan Her book, The Feminine Mystique, is arguably the most influential book in the worldwide feminist movement.
Bi Sheng Invented the first movable type process
Bill Clinton Signed NAFTA, arguably the most influential free trade agreement. A lead figure in the acceleration of globalization worldwide.

I realize I'm voting for a lot of American figures, but my thinking goes that there is no parallel for the global influence and power America has, and so the people who are most instrumental in its foundation and flourishment like Ben Franklin, might arguably have their contributions narrowly focused on one country (though Franklin also had a number of inventions to his name), that one country has been and currently is influential in profound ways far beyond its borders. 

• Thanks 1

I'm only voting for Augustus. As First Roman Emperor without the events that took place during and prior to his reign; who knows where Rome would've ended up? Rome was the very basis of Western Civilization and Augustus greatly had an influence on it's future expansions, and eventually, it's downfall. Without a doubt Augustus effected the most lives in the long run, and had much more of an impact on humanity. 

Benjamin Franklin is a top tier American figure. But I can't put him as a top figure in the world. He just didn't really do much compared to a towering figure like Augustus Caesar, or Atilla the Hun, Aristotle.... etc. 

You can make the argument Benjamin Franklin's efforts as diplomacy make him more of a top figure possibility but I'm willing to bet you most of the people in these foreign countries like France or England probably don't know who he is unlike most people in America. Even then I'm willing to wager a lot of people in America don't know him.

So yeah, Augustus is the only vote for me here.

• Thanks 1

I'm not going to defend/elaborate much on my votes this time around, but I will say this was the toughest slate yet as I feel as it was the one with the largest number of people that fell right on the borderline by my own criteria I set out for voting back in part 1.  Having them all at once really made me self-question my choices for part 4, and I probably didn't do the best job of sticking to my principles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1