The Political Lounge

Part 5: 100 Most Influential Ranking

vcczar

Part 5: 100 Most Influential Rankings  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following are among the most 100 influential people of all time? (See post for descriptions)

• Bill Gates
    • Blaise Pascal
    • Booker T Washington
    • Buddha
    • Cai Lun
    • Carl F Gauss
    • Carl Jung
    • Carl Linnaeus
    • Catherine the Great
    • Charlemagne
    • None of the above have been among one of the 100 most influential people.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/26/2022 at 12:52 AM

@vcczar @ShortKing @WVProgressive @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @jnewt @Mark_W @OrangeP47 @Arkansas Progressive @A man from Colorado @SilentLiberty @Rodja @DakotaHale @jvikings1 @themiddlepolitical @Edouard @Vols21 @Timur @Patine @10centjimmy

Here's the 1st part of the 100 most influential rankings. 

Rules:

- Please keep discussion on topic. 

- No trolling. 

- No complaining, although constructive criticism is okay. 

- No personal attacks.

- No commenting without voting. 

Candidates in this poll: 

Bill Gates Pioneer of the Microcomputer Revolution; Wealthiest person in the world for about a quarter of a century
Blaise Pascal Created the first successful mechanical calculator
Booker T Washington Early Civil Rights Activists who emphasized education and entrepreneurship as the pathway to African American equality.
Buddha Founder of Buddhism, one of the largest religions in the world.
Cai Lun Invented paper. Western Civilization was deprived of this crucial invention until Baghdad started producing its own paper around 751 after a couple of Chinese papermakers were captured. Papermaking didn’t spread to Europe until the 12th century. The combination of Cai Lun’s paper and Gutenberg’s printing press did much to further the progress of human civilization by capturing and distributing the written words of our greatest minds.
Carl F Gauss Considered the "Greatest Mathematician since Antiquity" advanced almost the full spectrum of mathematics.
Carl Jung Arguably the leading figure in personality psychology
Carl Linnaeus "Father of Modern Taxonomy" for coming up with the system for scientifically naming species, such as with Homo sapiens. Also known as a "Father of Modern Ecology." Helped spur a more intensive study of Natural History and Natural Science.
Catherine the Great Oversaw the revitalization and expansion of Russia into a Great Power
Charlemagne "The Father of Europe"; Unified Western and Central Europe; Crucial to the identities of both France and Germany; First Holy Roman Emperor; Spurred the Carlingian Renaissance, which prompted a rare intellectual and culture movement in a relatively dark period of cultural intellectualism. Influential in spreading Christianity and blunting the spread of Islam.

I accidentally voted for "None of these" because I clicked "All" and then clicked off Booker T Washington as a shortcut to voting everyone except him.... ooops...

Anywho, basically in this case while I'm not of the camp that early America didn't matter (small changes early can butterfly, if anything), I do think in his case his influence is too localized.

23 minutes ago, OrangeP47 said:

I accidentally voted for "None of these" because I clicked "All" and then clicked off Booker T Washington as a shortcut to voting everyone except him.... ooops...

Anywho, basically in this case while I'm not of the camp that early America didn't matter (small changes early can butterfly, if anything), I do think in his case his influence is too localized.

So who you intended to vote for everyone but Washington? Let me know and I can manually adjust it on the spreadsheet. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

So who you intended to vote for everyone but Washington? Let me know and I can manually adjust it on the spreadsheet. 

Yes.  Those votes are there, but so is a vote for "none of the above" because when clicking "all" it clicks all of them *including* "none of the above".

• Thanks 1

I almost feel like the description for Gates gives short shrift to the philanthropic efforts he's funded that's allowed him a voice and leverage in a number of global issues from fighting malaria in Africa to funding nuclear energy innovation, etc. Then I feel as though the rest of my votes are obvious, surprised Pascal is beating Catherine, I voted for the latter and not the former, my thinking being that while Pascal is well known and was influential, his contributions are a little niche, though I do appreciate Pascal's Wager, I just feel like Catherine's contributions to Russia have created quite the ripple effect in the long arc of history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1