The Political Lounge

Part 7: 100 Most Influential Ranking

vcczar

Part 7: 100 Most Influential Ranking  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following are among the most 100 influential people of all time? (See post for descriptions)

• Chuck Hull
    • Cicero
    • Claude Monet
    • Cleopatra
    • Confucius
    • Constantine the Great
    • Craig Newmark
    • Cyrus the Great
    • Dante Alighieri
    • David
    • None of the above have been among one of the 100 most influential people.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/27/2022 at 05:18 PM

@vcczar @ShortKing @WVProgressive @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @jnewt @Mark_W @OrangeP47 @Arkansas Progressive @A man from Colorado @SilentLiberty @Rodja @DakotaHale @jvikings1 @themiddlepolitical @Edouard @Vols21 @Timur @Patine @10centjimmy

Here's the 1st part of the 100 most influential rankings. 

Rules:

- Please keep discussion on topic. 

- No trolling. 

- No complaining, although constructive criticism is okay. 

- No personal attacks.

- No commenting without voting. 

The nominees: 

Chuck Hull Invented 3-D printing
Cicero Possibly the greatest orator; Had a major influence in the late Roman Republic; the rediscovery of his letters is said to have initiated the Renaissance over 1,000 years after his death.
Claude Monet The founder of the Impressionist art movement
Cleopatra International pop culture icon of Egyptomania and female power for centuries and who is consistently represented in the arts.
Confucius His ideas were developed into a system known as Confucianism, which form the basis of Chinese tradition, culture and belief. He came up with the “Golden Rule” about 500 years before Jesus did. His direct influence is also in Korea and Japan. Indirectly, he influences the world, primarily because of China’s present influence.
Constantine the Great Roman Emperor who greatly reformed Rome; Shifted the center to Constantinople (named after himself); Converted to Christianity and sponsored the relgion, being influential in the creation of the Nicene Creed.
Craig Newmark Craigslist
Cyrus the Great Created arguably the largest centralized Empire of the ancient world; inspired later Empires in regards to government, infrastructure, military, civil services, and with dealing with tolerating and assimilating diverse cultures.
Dante Alighieri Wrote arguably the greatest literary work in the Italian language; Called the "Father of the Italian Language" for making Italian the language of literature in Italy, rather than Latin; his depictions of Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory have influence religion, politics, and the arts.
David Arguably the most influential King of Israel; kills Goliath, captures Jerusalem; considered the ideal King and a forerunner for Jesus

Confucius and Constantin the Great for their influence have my vote.

Their legacy still exists today for both.

Cicero was a close call but not only him inspired the Renaissance, also i find it amusing that the english translation of the word is actually still the french word.

Edited by Edouard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I feel like I may have thrown a bone to Dante and snubbed Cyrus, but there were some close calls in this one.  I feel as if maybe I'm just not educated enough about Cyrus, though I feel like at one time I was and forgot.  He's definitely an "Honorary Mention" and perhaps the person I feel the most bad about leaving out so far.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'm not sure how you reckon David as the most influential King of Israel when every rendition I've seen have him dwarfed in that regard by his son and heir. I didn't include him, because, unusual for any ethnicity, Jews (other than Moses, Jesus, and Paul) seem to have produced their most influential members in a global sense after the start of their Diaspora in the 2nd Century AD.

Though I did vote for Dante, his title of producing the greatest literary work in the Italian language arguably be rivalled by Nicholo Machiavelli.

My description of David comes mostly from The 100 by Michael Hart. David is the only Israeli King in that book. I agree that, at least on the surface, the son seems more influential. 

7 hours ago, jnewt said:

@vcczar How did you do the research to come up with these names? I just finished grad school so now I have a bunch of free time and I feel like making my own list...

I originally compiled them in 2012 from various ranking books and websites. Since then I’ve added people here and there. 

• Like 1