The Political Lounge

Part 9: 100 Most Influential Rankings

vcczar

Part 9: 100 Most Influential Rankings  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following are among the most 100 influential people of all time? (See post for descriptions)

• Elias Howe
    • Elizabeth Cady Stanton
    • Elizabeth I
    • Elon Musk
    • Elvis Presley
    • Emmeline Pankhurst
    • Emperor Wen of Sui
    • Enrico Caruso
    • Enrico Fermi
    • Erasmus of Rotterdam
    • None of the above have been among one of the 100 most influential people.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/29/2022 at 03:45 AM

@vcczar @ShortKing @WVProgressive @ConservativeElector2 @mark2 @jnewt @Mark_W @OrangeP47 @Arkansas Progressive @A man from Colorado @SilentLiberty @Rodja @DakotaHale @jvikings1 @themiddlepolitical @Edouard @Vols21 @Timur @Patine @10centjimmy

Here's the 1st part of the 100 most influential rankings. 

Rules:

- Please keep discussion on topic. 

- No trolling. 

- No complaining, although constructive criticism is okay. 

- No personal attacks.

- No commenting without voting. 

Elias Howe Invented the first practical sewing machine
Elizabeth Cady Stanton Wrote the document that initiated the first women's rights and women's suffrage movement in the US.
Elizabeth I inspired the flowering of English literature and language, especially drama. Set the foundation for English colonialism, and the concept of the British Empire. Reestablished England as a protestant state.
Elon Musk Wealthiest person of the 21st century
Elvis Presley "King of Rock n' Roll"; Pop culture icon who popularized rock music worldwide.
Emmeline Pankhurst Most notable Women's Suffrage activists in UK history
Emperor Wen of Sui Buddhist Emperor that saw Buddhism rival Confucianism in China; reunified China after centuries of fragmentation.
Enrico Caruso International opera singer; one of the first major singing talents to be commercially recorded.
Enrico Fermi "Architect of the Nuclear Age" for creating the first nuclear reactor
Erasmus of Rotterdam The foremost humanist, which makes him arguably "Father of Secularism."

Elizabeth I is the only one for me. I cannot fathom putting the rest... and until Elon Musk colonizes Mars, he isn't on the list. 😛 

• Thanks 1

Fermi needs to be considered, because not only is he huge in nuclear physics, he's pretty big in how scientists think about science as a whole too.  It wasn't just his discoveries and contributions, but how he went about it and his methodology too.  See the Fermi Paradox for an example of how his thought is influential beyond just his own field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1